Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Yeah some of the voiceovers were pointless because he was just saying stuff we could figure out ourselves.

CaptainWacky

I watched the first episode of The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale because I was lying on my bed and didn't want to move and also didn't want to watch He-Man again. It's the same show as that other show where he makes fun of reality tv clips, but on Netflix. Some of it was funny (the montage of Korean shows with car crashes was the best part) some of it was kind of lame. But the studio audience whooped and applauded everything he said anyway! Alison Brie and Jim Rash made an appearance with Community jokes. Not something I'd watch, really, but I actually did watch it so I guess it is something I'd watch, really.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Now that he's no longer on E!, Ryan Seacrest can no longer prevent him from trash-talking the Kardashians, so I am checking this out later.

CaptainWacky

Intuition.

CaptainWacky

WHERE'S JOEY FROM FRIENDS?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Looks like a laugh riot.

I doubt Gary Oldman will be in this one.

CaptainWacky

Toby Stephens is good though.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Looks good! I didn’t know they’d made it. Netflix is full of surprises lately.

CaptainWacky

Mute - I was wondering why this wasn't being advertised at all on Netflix. It didn't even appear on the "new releases" part. And also why Duncan Jones was retweeting "you either love it or hate it!" memes. Turns out it's because this isn't very good! Eric from True Blood is a mute (like the title) Amish (but still works in a bar?) guy who walks around a standard future city showing people a photo of his missing girlfriend. For a long time. And not only is he mute but he's pretty expressionless so it's hard to care about him. Paul Rudd and Justin Theroux at least have personalities but they're both really horrible people (the characters, not the actors!) so it's hard to care about them much either. It's set in future Blade Runner city but it's just a backdrop that has no impact on the plot until one bit at the end. At least it means it looks more interesting and there's some nice visuals and sex robots and stuff that might be interesting to look at. But it's really very boring.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
That’s sad. I’ve been looking forward to it for ages.

CaptainWacky

You might still want to watch it for the special effects or whatever!

CaptainWacky

I have not even heard of it. Is it good?

Mirah

I love you
Well, my standards are usually pretty low, so my good and your good may be different! :D I enjoyed it, though some of the story line was ridiculous, such as 3 people looking for a person who was in Seattle and so were they but instead they all 3 decide to go to the east coast. The fact that they did not go to the police, instead they decided to pursue the person on their own.
But despite those things I watched all of season 1.

CaptainWacky

Any robots in it?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I watched Mute and while I agree it wasn’t very stimulating I don’t think it deserves all the negativity it’s receiving. I found it far more interesting and original than The Cloverfield Paradox.

The story was too thin for two hours with a lot revealed in the last 15 minutes that should’ve been background info established in the first 15.

The villains of the piece were completely unlikeable but given so much more screentime (and dialogue of course) than the hero that it was difficult to understand whether we were supposed to find them endearing or some sort of anti heroes. And not in a mysterious way. Just a mystifying one.

But it did have some creative little future tech ideas, it was well acted and it looked nice. I can’t really get bored of looking at futuristic cities or Alexander Skarsgard.

I reckon they were going for a Blade Runner vibe pretty heavily, but it didn’t have a consistent enough tone for that. Some parts were slow and quiet and drew you in, then others were played for laughs. You can’t really do both if you’re aiming for cyberpunk noir.

CaptainWacky

Remember the part where (SPOILER) Paul Rudd found out Justin Theroux was a paedo and was like "I don't want anything to do with you anymore, you sick fuck!" then literally five seconds later he forgot and they were best friends again.

It just gave me the impression that Duncan Jones should just direct and let someone else write.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, those two weren’t very consistently written. I don’t know why it even came as a surprise to Paul Rudd’s character anyway. It was clear the whole way through.

Also did Paul Rudd have one of the cars from Team America?

CaptainWacky

"We've been best friends for years but I never noticed you looking at children before!"