Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah I watched The Cloverfield Paradox tonight and had similar thoughts. It was reminiscent of Event Horizon and also Life (recent Jake Gyllenhall sci-fi horror movie set on the ISS), but it wasn’t as good as either. The cast was good, with quite a few actors I was pleased to see, and the sets were really nice, but overall it was quite underwhelming. The arm walking around was funny, but it made no sense. It was just a load of random stuff happening, with Chris O’Dowd’s character summing it up by saying “I don’t know what the rules are anymore”. And the guy back on Earth was incredibly dull.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I think the arm was supposed to be the arm of Chris O'Dowd from the other dimension. I don't know why that mean it could exist independantly of his body.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
And people kept having weirdly ironic deaths. Like the guy who was in charge of the thingmabob died from having the thingmabob inside him and the Chinese girl who had it in her contract that she wouldn’t have to speak any English died of a ventilation failure after identifying it as the problem with the station.

CaptainWacky

And woman who came from an Earth without Cloverfield monsters returned to an Earth FULL of Cloverfield monsters!

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
The Cloverfield Paradox had a set-up that meant the film could be literally anything and do literally anything, which was actually kind of exciting. But then by the end it was just one person stalking another person around a space station with a gun like we've seen about 1,000 times before. And then it does some really half-assed "IT'S ALL CONNECTED!!!!!!" bullshit with the first film that didn't need it.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

CaptainWacky

Did you notice all the female nudity but the guy's dong was always covered?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I saw one dong!

CaptainWacky

It was a stunt dong.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Probably, it was kinda LARGE. I'm sure most of the women were wearing merkins, too.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Oh yeah there was a dong in the brothel.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I liked the grandma being spun up in the bike looking dude. The actor did a good job being old in a young body.

CaptainWacky

Yeah that was a fun use of the technology.

CaptainWacky

I finished Altered Carbon. Mild spoilers below, I guess!

It was a good show. In the early episodes I struggled a bit with all the noir cliches. But I got to like the characters more as it went on. I also struggled to follow the plot a bit at the start but that got better as it went on too and the world-building ended up quite good. It was at its best when Kovacs was with other people rather than being the lone noir gruff sexy guy. It seemed to move away from the noir and become more like a live action anime by the end, which was good. And Dichen Lachman actually having stuff to do in the second half. There were some very inventive fight scenes. The one at the end of episodes 8 (you know the one!) stuck in my mind. So yeah it was a good show I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys science fiction because really when do we ever get sci fi shows that have this much money spent on them? Answer: not often!

If there is a season two...

I hope they bring Poe back somehow. Although I guess it could be a totally different supporting cast if it does get a second season?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I read the wiki on the second novel, it's 35 years later. Maybe they will write some new stuff that takes place between novels.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I saw the torture episode the other day and it was the best one so far. It was an inventive concept.

CaptainWacky

I read the wiki on the second novel, it's 35 years later. Maybe they will write some new stuff that takes place between novels.
I should read the books so I can tell people "I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS" before the show comes back (if it does.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I really do want to read the books, now. I feel like there's some details we're not getting from the show. Like ALIENS? Who are the aliens? Where did the technology come from? THAT STUFF. Maybe they show that stuff before the season is over. I'm gonna watch episode 8 in a few minutes.

CaptainWacky

I was confused when they showed the first big tree thing, thinking "are we supposed to recognise that?"

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I finished it! It was really good, but the first part was better than the last part, imo.

If it does get a new season they will have to get a new actor to play Tak because Ryker got his sleeve back. That is good, because that actor was kinda shit. He was good with the action stuff, but he was terrible at trying to sound like Rustin Cohle!