Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

Mirah

I love you
I am having a problem watching more than 2 shows. I binged watched Stranger Things and now I am watching Mad Men and Twin Peaks. I need to break it up into something different. So I came to this thread in hopes to find some inspiration.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
American Vandal is good though hour long episodes are a bit much. 45 minutes would do. “Last year there was a threesome in a canoe” was a good line.

Salvation ends on a cliffhanger and I’m not convinced there’ll be a season 2 so slightly regret investing 13 hours into that one (it was mostly 13 hours of doing other stuff and just looking up when Santiago Cabrerra was on screen).

Finally started watching Bob Ross’s painting show. Netflix just has 28 assorted episodes. His official YouTube channel has 31 seasons. It’s a very therapeutic show where he paints something from nature over the course of 25 minutes. He was very gifted and has some amazing technique to turn one swoosh of a brush into a photorealistic mountain or lake or something. But you don’t have to be into painting to enjoy it.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I think most American Vandal episodes are 30-35 minutes? Though maybe some were longer and I can't remember now. It actually gets quite serious and goes beyond just being satire by the end.

Mirah

I love you
American Vandal is good though hour long episodes are a bit much. 45 minutes would do. “Last year there was a threesome in a canoe” was a good line.

Salvation ends on a cliffhanger and I’m not convinced there’ll be a season 2 so slightly regret investing 13 hours into that one (it was mostly 13 hours of doing other stuff and just looking up when Santiago Cabrerra was on screen).

Finally started watching Bob Ross’s painting show. Netflix just has 28 assorted episodes. His official YouTube channel has 31 seasons. It’s a very therapeutic show where he paints something from nature over the course of 25 minutes. He was very gifted and has some amazing technique to turn one swoosh of a brush into a photorealistic mountain or lake or something. But you don’t have to be into painting to enjoy it.

I grew up watching Bob Ross. He died close to my birthday and I found out about it when for my birthday we went to an improv show and as a tribute to Bob Ross they did a painting scene with happy little clouds on the stage. When I was in the mountains we would watch Bob Ross and paint like him but didn't have all of the tools to do the tricks he does.
This girl's boyfriend put on a Bob Ross wig when he showed up to surprise her and this year I painted a Bob Ross pumpkin. No obsession here.

Mirah

I love you
I am watching 13 cameras. Have you watched it? I should look in the thread to see if you've watched it. You probably haven't, I don't know why I asked. Maybe I should create my own thread, should I create my own thread? I can put it in the Badlands. Should I put it in the Badlands? I could call it, "Mirah reviews stuff she has watched on Netflix, only I won't be reveiwing it because that is not what I do" and that would be the whole thread title. Is that what I should call it? What should I call it? I won't be reveiwing anything I'll just be saying, "I'm watching 13 Cameras" and thats it. Nothing else. I won't be saying how I liked this actor, or hated that one, or how I think this actress is sleeping with that actress or how I think they are all doing blow, I'll just be watching, zoning out and watching. I won't be analyzing any plot lines or commenting on how this actor was better in that movie or how this director should have eaten a sandwhich first before he started directing. No, I won't be doing any of that. So maybe I shouldn't even make a thread, it wouldn't be very interesting, but then where do I post what I am watching? I am not sure how to do that. And then I am sure no one would comment on what I am watching because no one would comment on what I am watching because I only watch SHIT shows! I don't watch anything that is good! Everything I watch is shit! IN fact the shittier the better, I like watching SHITTY shows! Because it makes me feel better about myself! Just kidding, I got into a little rant there, not sure if you noticed I was just kidding about saying SHIT all the time, I don't really use that word, only when I am trying to mock someone who would use that word in that way.

I haven't even had any sugar, thats a lie, I had sugar in my tea at dinner.

CaptainWacky

This week's Riverdale was amazing.

CaptainWacky

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
There’s a docudrama about the first settlers on Mars. It’s got a good budget and some great contributors including Elon Musk, but as always with docudramas it’s a bit cheesy. And space docudramas are really old hat anyway. The documentary side of things is interesting anyway.

CaptainWacky

John Wick - Yes I know I'm three years late but I saw it was on Netflix and watched it. Famously the movie where retired hitman Keanu Reeves goes back to killing after Theon Greyjoy murders his dog. And it's very entertaining! It's silly and unrealistic but it's meant to be. It exists in its own weird universe of weird assassins. I liked it. My only complaint is that the best action scene comes before the end and the final car chase bit doesn't really match it. But yeah it's a good fun time!

Last edited:

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah, the ending is easily the least interesting part of it. The bad guy is a bit ordinary and never seems like a match for John Wick, while Theon at least has age and a lot of goons in his favour. But I find it very watchable. Great music, great action, mysterious world building and decent acting from Keane Reeves (who trained a LOT - look on YouTube for behind the scenes videos).

And the second movie is even better!

CaptainWacky

I thought he'd have another fight with Adrianne Palicki too, but she just got randomly offed.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

Season two of Travelers is up now. I watched the first episode and found I'd forgotten a lot about season one, including most of the characters! But it's good to see Elias from Person of Interest in it. Recreating 9/11 almost felt like poor taste, but at least they cut away before the plane hit.

CaptainWacky

This looks interesting despite the terrible trailer music.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Looks very good. I hope it lives up to the very nice visuals.

CaptainWacky

It has Neighbours star Dichen Lachman in it!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It was weird how she was able to act once outside of the toxic Ramsey Street environment.

There’s a guy in Designated Survivor (the President Keifer Sutherland show) who was in Neighbours... I don’t remember his name but he lived in the House of Trouser and once fell off a horse and was unable to walk for several months before it turned out it was a psychological issue and he was right as rain.

Dershocka

dershocka
I watched the Will Smith movie "Bright" recently. Interesting idea, mediocre execution. Would've made a much better series.

Black Mirror season 4 disappointed me only because it was too Damn short. How about an ongoing series based off the people that are trapped in the video game universe contending with teenage boy trolls, and gamer nerds? Was the last episode of black mirror a series finale? Kind of seemed that way.

Finished Punisher finally. It was a hoot. I've heard good things about Ozark. Anyone watched it?

CaptainWacky

Black Mirror is pretty much all written by one guy so the quality would go down a lot if he had to write more than six a year (and we already missed out on Yearly Wipe because of it.)

I think that guy was Fraiser, @Fuddlemiff?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yes that’s right! In Designated Survivor he does Dutch and English accents and it’s a bit weird.

I saw Bright but it didn’t leave much of an impression. The idea of a parallel timeline where elves and orcs etc exist alongside present day humans was fine, but needed proper explaining. There’s obviously a lot of backstory you need to know before you can fully understand and also anticipate what’s going on. You can’t know how serious a situation is if you don’t know what’s possible in the universe. And the racial analogies were just too on the nose for me.

CaptainWacky

Season two of Travelers is up now. I watched the first episode and found I'd forgotten a lot about season one, including most of the characters! But it's good to see Elias from Person of Interest in it. Recreating 9/11 almost felt like poor taste, but at least they cut away before the plane hit.
It was a solid, if unspectacular, slice of Canadian sci-fi action!