Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Okja - See trailer a few posts up so I don't have to explain this! It's a weird movie. Part cute superpig and cute little girl adventure, part over the top satire, part pretty dark and disturbing (the end, mostly.) It's not boring! I enjoyed it all the way through. There are some funny parts (most of the ALF stuff) and some great chase sequences. It looks pretty. Acting is mostly good with the notable exception of Jake Gyllenhaal who is SO BAD in some scenes that I had to look away. Someone like Tilda Swinton (who's in it!) can do over the top in a way that doesn't completely ruin a movie, but he just went so ridiculously silly that he nearly ruined it at times. But other than that I'd definitely recommend it!

CaptainWacky

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I still haven't got through the last season yet. It can be so morose it's not really that enjoyable. Needs more animal puns.

CaptainWacky

I thought that last season was pretty great!

CaptainWacky

New season of Bojack is really good.

CaptainWacky

This is really unironically the role of a lifetime for Jessica Biel.

CaptainWacky

The Good Place season 1 is on Netflix now and season two will be added weekly starting tomorrow. I strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't watched it!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Never even heard of it. I'll give it a go once I finish The Expanse season 2.

CaptainWacky

It's a comedy about the afterlife starring Kristen Bell, tv's Ted Danson and that girl who used to host T4. It has a well thought out mythology!

(First episode of season two was good.)

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
It's a comedy show where the longer meta plot not only matters but is actually really good, but still works very well as a comedy.

Also Kristen Bell.

CaptainWacky

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Charming and quirky New Zealand film about Sam Neill and a young boy getting lost in the bush and hunted by the authorities. Very funny and often touching, with great performances from Neill and the boy. Strongly recommended unless you don't have a heart I suppose!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I watched Archer for a while. All of season one I think. In the end I found all the characters just a bit too obnoxious to really enjoy it.

CaptainWacky

It gets a bit repetitive too (probably why they mixed up the format later.)

CaptainWacky

It's good that Riverdale's back and still as insane as ever.

CaptainWacky

Trance - Twisty movie directed by Danny Boyle starring James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson and that French guy from Black Swan. Looks good because it's directed by Boyle, very stylish, acting is good...story is pretty bad! Like by the time it gets to the end it's so ridiculous that the whole thing only works if you think of it being gloriously over the top and silly but I don't think that's what they were going for. Watchable but you'll come away thinking "really?" when it ends.

The Babysitter - Remember McG? He's back! In Netflix original form. And it's surprisingly good fun! Comedy horror but not actually scary, but it's quite funny in places at least! A boy finds out his hot babysitter is evil and has to avoid being killed. The lead boy was good for a kid actor and Samara Weaving was very good as the babysitter (and really well cast as a hot babysiter (because she's hot.)) Some fun supporting performances too such as 29 year old Robbie Amell as a high school student. Not essential viewing or anything but I liked it.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Mindhunter is good. It’s a drama about FBI agents trying to understand what makes serial killers tick. Anna Torv is in it plus some very good actors I feel I should recognise from elsewhere. Obviously the subject matter is gloomy and at times it can be graphic, but nothing worse than you’ve seen in CSI.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Started watching Salvation. It’s one of those cheesy shows that’s got glossy production values and a good looking cast (there was one ordinary looking guy but he got killed off in the first episode), but lame writing.

It’s basically Armageddon: The Series. A meteor is discovered heading toward Earth. The US government knows and is hiding it from the public, but they do have the help of Santiago Cabrerra, who’s basically Elon Musk.

Dumb, but watchable.

CaptainWacky

I've been watching American Vandal. Nearly finished it now. It's a parody of true crime shows like Make A Murderer, except the crime here is that someone drew dicks on all the teachers' cars at school. It's played completely straight, so at times it's not even a comedy. The attention to detail is really good and all the characters are developed over the series. There's many twists and turns as you would expect from this kind of series (except these are scripted.) Acting is very good. I'd recommend it though I can see some people not liking it since it is basically a four and a half hour thorough analysis of who drew some dicks.