Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The Blossoms were delightfully insane. Having a memorial where they invite everyone they suspect of their son's murder!

CaptainWacky

Riverdale has perfected the "awkward dinnner with parents" scene really quickly!

(I realise this thread is just me posting about Riverdale now but who's going to stop me.)

Last edited:

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I have a few episodes to catch up. I blame myself.

CaptainWacky

I bet other people watch things on Netflix too and could post about them.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I bet other people watch things on Netflix too and could post about them.

Not really. I still have too many things on My List to start watching. Though I did just recently watch the Ratchet and Clank movie. It was almost as exciting as playing the game(s). It gave me the childhood nostalgia feels.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I watched a few movies on Netflix recently.

Fury - the WWII Brad Pitt movie. Is excellent. Aside from the implausible climax (which could be based on real life for all I know) it's very well researched, very believable, with great acting and some brutal realism. Highly recommended.

Can't remember what it was called now, but the sci-fi movie set in Eastern Europe with ghosts attacking soldiers. It's basically a live action Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. Doesn't have any recognisable actors from what I recall, which is kind of good as you don't know who'll get killed off. Looked very good, held my interest and had a few original ideas. Also had a hilarious montage sequence where a scientist took a motherboard out of a laptop, screwed it on to a gun and thus made a super gun.

Birdman - the most try hard 'Oscar worthy' movie ever. But really good. Excellent acting throughout, interesting visuals, Emma Stone playing Lindsay Lohan. Naked Edward Norton if that floats anybody's boat. No idea what the play they were performing was actually about.

The Equalizer - recommended to me by several people as "black John Wick". Boring. Cliched. Not as inventive as it thinks it is. Denzel Washington doesn't get to do much acting as his character's cold and unemotional. Like a terminator running low on battery. Has the stupidest slow motion walk from an explosion I've ever seen.

CaptainWacky

I watched The Equalizer a while ago and can't remember anything about it other than Chloe Grace Moretz as a hooker. And she wasn't in it very much.

I think I'd probably hate Birdman.

CaptainWacky

I watched the first episode of Killjoys because I noticed the first season had been added. It's a science fiction adventure thing about space bounty hunters. It's more like the type of show you'd associate with SyFy than something like The Expanse, because while The Expanse must have a pretty big budget for all its wonderful space effects this...doesn't. I mean it looks okay for a SyFy show but nothing spectacular. And it's a more silly space romp type thing rather than something serious. The first episode was okay but had a long segment involving cage fighting which is always automatically boring. Hannah John-Kamen is attractive and Jimmy Olsen from Smallville was in it if you like him. After one episode I can't recommend it because there was nothing really original in it at all, but it was a decent watch. I'll watch the season probably (it's only ten episodes.)

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I watched the first episode of Killjoys because I noticed the first season had been added. It's a science fiction adventure thing about space bounty hunters. It's more like the type of show you'd associate with SyFy than something like The Expanse, because while The Expanse must have a pretty big budget for all its wonderful space effects this...doesn't. I mean it looks okay for a SyFy show but nothing spectacular. And it's a more silly space romp type thing rather than something serious. The first episode was okay but had a long segment involving cage fighting which is always automatically boring. Hannah John-Kamen is attractive and Jimmy Olsen from Smallville was in it if you like him. After one episode I can't recommend it because there was nothing really original in it at all, but it was a decent watch. I'll watch the season probably (it's only ten episodes.)
It gets better. I think it's more like The Expanse than Firefly though. I'm not going to post spoilers to explain why, you'll just have to keep watching.

CaptainWacky

It had the mandatory "sexy female character beats up men then walks away in sexy slow motion" scene that all genre shows have now.

CaptainWacky

I am pleased you are watching it.

CaptainWacky

I love that Riverdale is really all about a family feud over maple syrup.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I watched a couple of episodes of Killjoys and I've been a bit disappointed by it. It's got all the right elements to make a sci-fi show, but as you say, it's just not got any new ones. There's nothing original about it. It's a shame because it's got a decent cast, the dialogue is grounded in reality, if uninspired, and the world building has clearly had a lot of attention. You do feel like they're visiting other worlds, rather than just some place in Canada with a coloured filter. But it just doesn't hold my interest. ☹️

CaptainWacky

I watched a couple of episodes of Killjoys and I've been a bit disappointed by it. It's got all the right elements to make a sci-fi show, but as you say, it's just not got any new ones. There's nothing original about it. It's a shame because it's got a decent cast, the dialogue is grounded in reality, if uninspired, and the world building has clearly had a lot of attention. You do feel like they're visiting other worlds, rather than just some place in Canada with a coloured filter. But it just doesn't hold my interest. ☹️

It all seems to be designed to remind you of Firefly but without the parts people actually liked about Firefly.

CaptainWacky

February - (It's named "The Blackcoat's Daughter" in other places but it's "February" on Netflix UK.) Sometimes I don't think I "get" horror movies so I don't tend to watch a lot of them, but this has Kiernan Shipka and Emma Roberts in it so I had to watch. It's more psychological than scary, I'd say. Or it's meant to be. You could also call it really slow? Because it is really slow and not much actually happens. At first I was fine with that because it looked good and had a creepy vibe to it and most importantly Kiernan Shipka was excellent playing a distrubed teenager. So at first I was engaged but at some point I noticed that the scenes were just slow for the sake of being slow with no actual payoff. There is violence in the end and some upsetting imagery (if you're into that!) and like I said Shipka was GREAT and genuinely scary...there just wasn't enought to it? And there was a twist which I saw coming but was also pretty stupid.

So it turns out Shipka and Roberts are the same character. It would be easy not to see this coming since Kiernan Shipka and Emma Roberts are two different people! I mean yeah Emma's a bit older than her but there's only about eight years between them and I know the real Emma didn't look like Kiernan eight years ago and Kiernan isn't going to look like Emma in eight years (other than their general similar size and prettiness.) Your face just doesn't change that much in eight years! If there had been a bigger age difference, an older actress playing Emma's part, then it could have worked better. As it was it was just a bit weird?

CaptainWacky

Are American high school cheerleading routines really like this.