Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
What is "The OA" and should I watch it?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I've seen two episodes so far. Not yet clear what it's about exactly. Imagine the story of Eleven from Stranger Things, but as an adult and told in a kind of Donnie Darko style. I like it.

CaptainWacky

I'LL GIVE IT A TRY.

CaptainWacky

I liked how the opening credits didn't come up until 58 minutes in.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah that was really weird. I guess because they expect people to binge watch it, so the titles come at the point they would if it were a movie, relatively speaking.

Or they brainstormed weird things to do.

CaptainWacky

I've watched the first two episodes. I liked it so far, but it's going to need a satisfying ending...

CaptainWacky

Have you finished it yet, Fuddlemiff? I need to talk about the ending.[/Thirsty Wacky]

Whatever else you might think, "I can't talk...I'm eating a sandwich" was an amazing line.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Joey Tribbiani is in it?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I'm on episode 5. Still no idea where it's going.

It helps that it looks good because it can be really slow.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Just finished it.

OA SPOILERS

Good twist. I didn't see it coming at all and I'm surprised it was so unequivocal. When they were doing the movements during the shooting scene I still expected a portal to open up and take the shooter away. But then how would they have explained away the books.

The thing I'm most satisfied about is knowing why there was a guy called Homer who looked like he was born post The Simpsons.

Very good acting all around. Alice Krige was so irritating and smothering, while really only trying her best to look after this girl she loved and wouldn't let grow up. And Jason Isaacs had an amazing vulnerability when he met his friend and after he'd killed him. Homer was good too, though I watched some interviews with him and he sounds like a total pain. He has "meltdowns" in preproduction of every show he's in and has to take a few days off because he gets so connected with the character. Talk about self indulgent. o_O

CaptainWacky

So do you think she just made it all up? How come we saw things like Jason Isaacs murdering his friend which she wasn't present for? Unless she was just telling that as part of the story. It seemed a bit weird that the FBI guy (who was in Rogue One!) was hanging around her hosue at night? Did he plant the books? Could she even read them when she was blind most of her life? But also there was the bit where the girl asked for her photo and said she was "raped and beaten" and that wans't part of the story and people are saying that's a clue that she was really abused for years and made it all up. But then it's a huge coincidence that she happens to get shot right when the others are doing The Movements at the end.

So, in short, I don't know.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah... I thought it was really cut and dry at first, but then I went on IMDb and now I don't know what to think.

The agent being in the house at the same time the books are found, the lack of explanation for that and how on the nose those book titles were... plus I thought in an early episode there was a video all about Homer and his NDE. So he was a real person and she didn't need to get his name from a book.

I thought the shooter just stopped because what they were doing was so weird and distracting, but maybe there was more to it. :-/

There'll be a season two, so we'll find out.

CaptainWacky

Yeah... I thought it was really cut and dry at first, but then I went on IMDb and now I don't know what to think.

The agent being in the house at the same time the books are found, the lack of explanation for that and how on the nose those book titles were... plus I thought in an early episode there was a video all about Homer and his NDE. So he was a real person and she didn't need to get his name from a book.

I thought the shooter just stopped because what they were doing was so weird and distracting, but maybe there was more to it. :-/

There'll be a season two, so we'll find out.

She did watch a video of Homer in an early episode and said something like "I'll find you!" But she could have just been watching a random figure and in her mental state believed that she knew him. Then bought a book about Homer because she was obsessed with the name now. Or something.

I think the shooter stopped because they were confused, yes, but that doesn't explain Prairie having a premonition that something something was going to happen and being in the exact right place to be shot.

CaptainWacky

Has anyone (Fuddlemiff) watched "Travelers"? It's a new Canadian time travel show and apparently Racetrack from BSG is in it so I'm intrigued.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I haven't yet. I read the synopsis and thought it sounded good, but the trailer has put me off. Looks kind of cheap and not up to the usual "Netflix original" standards (apparently it was on Canadian tv last year and no one noticed). I may give it a go once I finish a few other shows.

CaptainWacky

Well I thought Continuum (also a Canadian time travel show) looked pretty cheap when I started watching it but I enjoyed it as a show. I'll probably watch this sometime. I should really finish Star Trek season 3 first but it's becoming a struggle.

Last edited:

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah it's not exactly filled with classics.

CaptainWacky

I've watched the first three episodes of Travelers and it's pretty good! The first episode didn't really grab me because while one of the storyline's was intersting (Marcy's) it kept jumping between stories and the others I dind't care about as much. Just to pointless compare it to fellow Canadian time travel show Continuum, that probably had a better start because Kiera and Alec were good characters from the start with a clear storyline (though it took a lot longer to make Liber8 interesting.) BUT I think it improved when the real main character came to light at the end of the episode and by the end of episode three it's started going in an interesting direction. I don't think the low budget thing is an issue (so far) since it's all set in the present day. So I'll have to watch the whole season (12 episodes) now I guess!

(Leah Cairns has hardly been in it so far so probably don't watch it just for her.)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I watched the first two episodes of Travellers and enjoyed it. It's a got a good central idea (though I'm not convinced it makes sense - seems like the grandfather paradox galore if all those people were supposed to be dead, even taking into account that the whole idea is to change history). I'll go back to it, but probably as a filler series.

I watched all of Ascension over the last couple of days and LOVED it. The first episode didn't have me hooked, but I'm so glad I watched the second one. There were excellent developments all the way through, great acting, some lovely eye candy both in terms of actors and scenery and it left me wanting a lot more.

Shame it doesn't look like they'll be doing any more, which is crazy. They must've spent a lot on the six episodes (or three TV movies, depending which version you see), only to end on a massive cliffhanger. Stupid SyFy channel.