Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
They actually do deal with the grandfather paradox thing in a later episode (spoilers!)

I would have started A Series Of Unfortunate Events by now if the WWE weren't having a two day UK tournament this weekend! (But I hear it's good.)

CaptainWacky

A Series Of Unfortunate Events - It is good. Neil Patrick Harris was great the and kid actors were very good (I've heard people say they didn't show enough emotion but that's obviously a stylistic choice.) I don't know if the baby deserves praise since it's just a baby and doesn't know what's hapening but it was convincing as a baby. It looks good (a bit Pushing Daisies so maybe Fuddlemiff will hate it!) Some good guest stars like Alfre Woodard. On the downside a couple of the episodes felt a bit repetitive and drawn out, especially when they're trying to explain themselves to the dumb banker. But it is based on children's books so a lot of it seems to be teaching children new words (I like words so I'm fine with that!) Good twist near the end.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
You'll never let it go that I didn't like Pushing Daisies. :D I think I just found it a bit too cutesy. I like spaceships and explosions.

CaptainWacky

It was just in case you started watching it and thought "why didn't Wacky warn me this will give Pushing Daisies flashbacks!?"

CaptainWacky

I watched the first episode of Riverdale (new episodeson Netflix every week) because the AV Club called it "the most CW show ever." I thought it might be entertaining trash and in some ways it was, but I did find myself getting a bit bored. While it's being very tropey and trashy on purpose, the problem for me is that I don't normally watch this type of show because they are, well, very trashy and tropey. So I don't know. Some of it was funny in its silliness, some of it was just annoying. If anything I think it should have gone even more over the top. I feel like SAUSAGEMAN should watch it and tell me how to feel.

CaptainWacky

Green Room - A punk band end up playing at a Nazi bar and sing "Nazi punks fuck off" at them. It actually goes quite well until they stumble upon a murder victim and end up locked in a room in a tense stand-off with the Nazis. I'm trying not to say "tense" too much but it was very very tense. There's shockingly graphic violence, yes, but it's all pretty fast and I imagine that's realistic? I've never been in a fight to the death with Nazis so I don't know. It's the anticipation of the violence that's even better. It's very well directed (IT'S TENSE) and the performances are strong from everyone: Anton Yelchin in one of his final roles reminding us what a tragedy it was he died so young because he was really very good, Alia Shawkat, some people whose names I haven't looked up and Patrick Stewart as a very chill, well spoken Nazi. But I think best of all was Imogen Poots who was just magnetic whenever she was on screen. I've never been someone who has thought high levels of violence or bloor are a reason to recommend something on their own (unlike SOME PEOPLE) but this is definitely a good film that uses its violence perfectly. Definitely highly recommended unless you really can't stomach gore.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I watched the first episode of Riverdale (new episodeson Netflix every week) because the AV Club called it "the most CW show ever." I thought it might be entertaining trash and in some ways it was, but I did find myself getting a bit bored. While it's being very tropey and trashy on purpose, the problem for me is that I don't normally watch this type of show because they are, well, very trashy and tropey. So I don't know. Some of it was funny in its silliness, some of it was just annoying. If anything I think it should have gone even more over the top. I feel like SAUSAGEMAN should watch it and tell me how to feel.
I just caught the first two episodes and I agree -- on paper it's trying to be The Archies In Twin Peaks, but it doesn't go far enough in that tone. Meanwhile we have these beloved comic book characters from my youth being all trashy and having sex and Ms. Grundy is a hot cougar and Betty is on Adderall and what the fuck. But Gay Poochie Kevin is cute and Archie is fuckdamnhot so I'll hang around for a while.

CaptainWacky

I just watched the third episode and thought it was a lot better. It felt better paced. There was some good entertaining campiness like Veronica (who is hot and definitely not sixteen) wearing a fucking CAPE when sleuthing after dark then Cheryl showing up in big fuck-off thigh high boots. And Betty going nuts and boiling a guy alive. And Barb from Stranger Things is in it and even though I found her character overrated on that show she is pretty cute?

I've never read the comics (I'M NOT AMERICAN) so I don't know or care about the changes and some of the complaints I've read seem a bit silly, like someone was complaining that Jughead wasn't constantly eating hamburgers. It probably wouldn't be practical to have a character constantly eating hamburgers!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The biggest laugh the show has given me so far was in the pilot when Archie mentioned they were all starting their sophomore year, which most kids start at age 15. Errrr no.

CaptainWacky

That makes the perverted music teacher even worse...

I liked in the first episode where they referenced "season five Betty Draper." Because fifteen year olds love Mad Men!

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

I'm glad Miss Grundy is gone. Though it was weird that the show acted like we were supposed to feel sorry for a teacher who was shagging her 15/16 year old student.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Maybe her grandmother moves to Riverdale in a couple of episodes and that's the REAL Miss Grundy like the comics.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I watched the first A Series of Unfortunate Events and yeah, I didn't like it. It's so twee and the songs suck I don't get who it's aimed at. Surely kids wouldn't enjoy this.

CaptainWacky

Well the books are popular with children I believe.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
And the movie was packed with stars in supporting roles including Meryl FUCKING Streep.

CaptainWacky

And Menty found the young girl in it hot.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
OMG ARE WE ALL SUIS MILO THEY ARE EVERYWHERE :scared:

CaptainWacky

"What age was Emily Browning in A Series of Unfortunate Events" autocompletes on Google. (14/15 seems to be the answer.)