We started watching "True Blood"

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Last night, LG and I started watching Season One of True Blood. It was...ok. Pretty good. Not necessarily, "OMG this show is great". At least, not yet. Some pretty good potential. First impressions:

-The way the fangs pop out, and the overall look of the fangs is cheesy.
-Bill is a very interesing character, hopefully some more of his backstory will be fleshed out.
-Sookie's Grandmother is a great...and I suspect she knows Bill from when she was younger (no spoilers, please!)
-The owner of the bar is obviously the dog who "protects" Sookie on a couple of occasions
-Sookie's brother is the most interesting character so far
-Anna's acting is a bit...off-putting. Her default expression seems to be wide-eyed surprise or anxiety, which is how she played Rogue in the first X-Men movie. I don't know, something about her acting style seems forced.

Like I said, we've only watched 2 episodes so far, and I'd give it an overall grade of "B". We'll prolly watch 1 or 2 eps tonight, I'll keep posting in this thread as we progress into season 1 &2.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Gran is the best character in the show other than Lafayette (omg, you didn't mention Lafayette!). I think this is one of those shows where it's probably better to watch the boxed set over a couple of weeks rather than week by week, at least at the beginning. I liked the first ep, but I might not have bothered to watch the next few if they hadn't already been on my hd.

Sometimes it's hard to tell how we're supposed to approach the show. Is it a comedy drama of sorts, or should we be taking it more seriously? I think of it as a sexy, lightweight drama with laughs, so the fangs don't bother me. If it was a serious drama then I'd think they were silly, but I'd be more irked by Jason's Homer Simpson level IQ.

Anna Paquin just has a weird face.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Agreed about the fangs and vampire effects (and the hissing.) Terrible, nearly put me off watching.

Not going to respond to the remarks about Anna because I don't want to get angry.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Keep watching, it'll grow on you!

Big Dick McGee

Oh, I'll watch all of Season 1 & 2. I'm nothing if not a completist!

I'm bummed, I thought for sure I'd get Dead Until Dark today. I hope I get it by Friday, I'm taking LG and my boy to the beach, so I need a good beach read!

Are the books really mysteries?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Yeah, I'd say they're mysteries, but more lighthearted than most mysteries. I DON'T KNOW.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
these are called the Southern Vampire series, and not listed as mysteries per se.
Harris' mystery series are the Shakespeare stories (set in a town called Shakespeare), and the new series centred around the woman who can see and hear the ghosts of the dead tell her how they died.
all excellent reading-at-the-beach material.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
BDM, I think once you read the books and get a feel for Sookie, you'll see why Anna's acting is "off-putting." She's supposed to be off. <g>

Big Dick McGee

Still don't understand why "Sookie" is pronounced "Suck-ey"!

The series is unique...so far, if anything. S2 is dragging a bit for my tastes, hope it isn't going to become soooo soap operish that not much happens until s3 episode 1??

Still, good series so far. I just think s2 should be progressing more...and if not, make MORE episodes per season. :)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Let it hang out baby, let it hang out now, now na-na now
Let it hang out baby, everybody work out
Sookie, Sookie, Sookie, Sookie, Sookie, Sookie, Sue

Let it hang out baby, do the Baltimore jig
Let it hang out baby, boomerang with me

Really got it bad child, drink a bottle of turpentine
When you wake up in the morning, feelin' kinda fine

You better watch your step girl, don't step on that banana peel
If your foot should ever hit it, you'll go up to the ceiling
Hang it in baby, hang it in baby

Let it hang out baby, everybody work out
Hang it in baby, hang it in baby, hang it in baby

Big Dick McGee

I wanna do bad things with you.

When you came in the air went out.
And every shadow filled up with doubt.
I don't know who you think you are,
But before the night is through,

I'm the kind to sit up in his room.
Heart sick an' eyes filled up with blue.
I don't know what you've done to me,
But I know this much is true:

When you came in the air went out.
And all those shadows there filled up with doubt.
I don't know who you think you are,
But before the night is through,
I wanna do real bad things with you.
Ow, ooh.

I don't know what you've done to me,
But I know this much is true:
I wanna do real bad things with you.

curiousa2z

^I downloaded that and put it in my workout tunes roster so I can listen to it every day. HAWT!
and so's the vid, IMHO.

Big Dick McGee

Watched episode 3 last night. Weird. Bill was about to feed on Jerry, the only reason he stopped was 'cause Sookie told him about the Hep D. Not sure if he really means it when he says the others are evil and he's not.

Interesting foreshadowing. The vamps spoke of "Eric" and "someone higher" that "she" can interven herself. Also, one of them said something along the lines of "As if that Japanese bullshit could keep us alive". Perhaps True Blood is just a ploy?

Also funny to see that the bar owner is NOT the dog. Weird how the bitches Jason fucks always end up dead.

Interesting, I'm certain you lot have gotten answers to all of these questions, so I'll hurry up and finish season one as soon as I can.

Big Dick McGee

Derr...no wonder I recognized Dawn...she played Kayla Silverfox in Wolverine.

curiousa2z

this fun reading your theories and discoveries!
did the book arrive in time for the beach?

Big Dick McGee

Not sure if it's here yet, but as long as it comes by Friday, I'll be good to go.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
You are in for some surprises!

curiousa2z

I went into the book store to check out the latest one but it's $32. hard cover [yay the price of success] so I said no to that that noise and I'll wait til it comes in at the library or my neighbour's daughter finally finishes the goddamn thing (she's had it for THREE weeks now! Honestly! it isnt Tolstoy!)
!!!

Big Dick McGee

I hope it's not similar to Dexter (the books I mean). I love the show Dexter, but the books are pretty bad.