Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we think about Stanley "Tookie" Williams?

Mentalist said:
Maybe I'm the only one but I really think it's the easy way out and basically lets the prisoner win in some respects. I would rather have a nice meal and then have a needle shoved in my arm and go to sleep than be locked up in a tiny cell for 23 hours a day freaking the fuck out for the rest of my life.

I honestly would be more scared of being locked up for life than having death handed out to me. When you're caught thats it, you lost. Your freedom is taken away, everything is taken away. I think rotting away in prison is worse than death, I really do. I also think it is the best punishment.

Then it's not only payment in kind; it's the more merciful punishment, as well. Again, why should people have to foot the bill for someone who takes an innocent life? If you kill four innocent people just because you can, should you expect to be clothed, fed and housed at others' expense for the rest of your life? Is that right, or fair to the survivors of those whose lives you've taken, to know that not only are their loved ones dead for no good reason, but now they're supporting the continued existence of the man who killed them?

I think it is a minor statistic when disussing how much money these people being left alive will save. Ok, it is a lot of money to board and feed them for the rest of their lives but I think that rehabilitation for minor offenders and a program of helping some drug addicts rather than just locking them up for the sake of it is much more likley to save money in the long run and counteract the cost of keeping killers locked up for life.

I just can't accept the 'kill them because they are a drain on society'. And it must be made clear that I am not for a second minimiing their crimes, I just doen't really think Capitol punishment works and I don't think it is the right answer.

I hate to break this to you all this late in the game but Tookie Williams could not possibly have co founded the Crips. Although the Crips became a "known" street gang back in 1972, they were actually founded around 1970, which would have made Tookie around 15 years of age. Much too young to be taken seriously by other gang members to say nothing of their leaders, the Crips as a force to be reckoned with would never have gotten off the ground. To say Tookie was a founder/co founder of the Crips was nothing more than a tactic used by the prosecution to convict of him of murders he "probably" didn't commit. There was no hard evidence (weapons/DNA/etc)against Tookie for the murders he was convicted of but there was some "eye witness" testimony from some rather questionable sources that made him look more than a little guilty.

That is not to say that Tookie was not a criminal, he definitely was. He had his thumbs into quite a few pies: Burgular, drug dealer, extortionist, but a murderer? He insisted he was not, right up the day of his execution

Something of interest: Tookie Williams could have escaped the death chamber by confessing to the murders. Why didn't he do so? The law. Once his confession was accepted the case would have been closed no matter what evidence came to light later, something I believe Tookie Williams wants to see happen, even in death.

we don't have the death penalty in my state. it has it's pros and cons. I'm not sure where I stand on that issue

Trixie said:
we don't have the death penalty in my state. it has it's pros and cons. I'm not sure where I stand on that issue

Well, here's something that'll clarify where you stand on the issue: Ever feel like murdering somebody so that you could be executed?