Where is the Random Thread of Randomness stuff that doesn't belong in other threads thread?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
When did people start saying "SPOOKY SEASON" and how can I stop them.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House..." books are coming into public domain, so I've been reading them and Book #2 is "Farmer Boy," about her future husband's childhood, and I feel like the main reason for this book is to politely tell us her dad, Charles "Pa" Ingalls, was a shithead. Because if you just read her story, you'd think, "wow, life in pioneer days sucked." But then you read "Farmer Boy" and they have money and a nice farm and live near a town and make things better for themselves every year. Meanwhile Pa is wrestling bears for honey to keep the family from starving in the winter and moving them halfway across country to live in Indian territory, only to learn that SURPRISE! Settlers aren't supposed to live in Indian territory. Or borrowing heavily against a wheat crop during "grasshopper weather" only to find out the locals call it "grasshopper weather" because that's when grasshoppers come and eat every plant out there. Or walking 300 miles to find a job because he blew all their money before they had it. Or going into town during constant blizzards and then almost freezing to death within sight of home.

Then the next book starts with--oh, shit, I forgot the time where they all got malaria and almost died--anyways, the time where most of them got scarlet fever and Mary went blind. It's a real shit-show. Because Charles is a fucking retard.

Mirah

I love you
Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House..." books are coming into public domain, so I've been reading them and Book #2 is "Farmer Boy," about her future husband's childhood, and I feel like the main reason for this book is to politely tell us her dad, Charles "Pa" Ingalls, was a shithead. Because if you just read her story, you'd think, "wow, life in pioneer days sucked." But then you read "Farmer Boy" and they have money and a nice farm and live near a town and make things better for themselves every year. Meanwhile Pa is wrestling bears for honey to keep the family from starving in the winter and moving them halfway across country to live in Indian territory, only to learn that SURPRISE! Settlers aren't supposed to live in Indian territory. Or borrowing heavily against a wheat crop during "grasshopper weather" only to find out the locals call it "grasshopper weather" because that's when grasshoppers come and eat every plant out there. Or walking 300 miles to find a job because he blew all their money before they had it. Or going into town during constant blizzards and then almost freezing to death within sight of home.

Then the next book starts with--oh, shit, I forgot the time where they all got malaria and almost died--anyways, the time where most of them got scarlet fever and Mary went blind. It's a real shit-show. Because Charles is a fucking retard.

I have all of the books. I will be reading them this winter. I got through about 4 of them so far. My mom and I watched Little House last winter. There is a good article about this series also, I will see if I can find it. I think the article touches on that people think people had to live independently back in the day when in realiity Charles had to rely on a lot of people, even tho pride kept him from doing so quite often.
People romanticize the series, the lifestyle.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
eVOeGbB.png