Where is the Random Thread of Randomness stuff that doesn't belong in other threads thread?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
After much thought, I am giving up Lent for Lent this Lent. I have basically tried to be a pretty good Catholic all these years. And to tell the truth, I can't complain. Life has been pretty good to me by objective standards. But the last few years, I feel like I've done my bit and now the ball is in God's court for awhile. Show me why I should be devout. It hasn't been exactly the trial of Job, but dang. Got the current house in November of 2020. Had renters in my first rental. Putting a renter into my old house. Then I just needed one more rental and I could "retire." But the 'Rona happened. And the supply of affordable nice houses dried up. The renter I put into my old home turned out to be a turd who liked to play games and my dog died in March. Then my cat died in June. Then I took a job I hated as a favor to a friend. Again. And my first renters had to break their lease. When Turd's lease was up I wound up telling him he had to move out (because he'd been having problems paying rent over the winter and the first month he was off the lease he "forgot" that the rent had gone up and wound up paying the balance late). Oh, and I donated a decent amount to St. Jude Children's Hospital because I was a bit behind on donations and they had their Dream House raffle so, in a perfect world, I'd have won the raffle and had my last house. But it isn't a perfect world. Plus, I think our current Pope is a turd and I continue to be just on the cusp of getting what I want but can't get that last break. So fuck it. I don't need to prove myself by suffering and sacrificing for Lent. I've been doing that all my life. I get that last house--oh. That's the other one. I realized I could rent out storage space through a Website. So I got everything cleaned up and listed with them. What a bust. Got one good renter. But now he got laid off from his new job so he's going to have to sell the car he was storing with me. So yeah. I find some people that want to store cars and/or another decent rental and I'll go fucking vegetarian for the rest of Lent--even skip fish (and try to cut back on alcohol). But in the mean time, fuck it.

And yeah, I did some reading on Pancake Day and apparently Thee Olden Dayes sucked and pancakes were a decadent indulgence. Little British children would go around begging for pancakes. Now pancakes are like, when you're out of groceries. Or you're a starving college student. That's another interesting thing that has changed over time. When I was your age, "living like a college student" meant you were poor. You got a TV set from the local junkyard and stayed tight with the guy who owned a car so you could get around without having to take the bus all the time. You lived on ramen noodles and generic oatmeal (and pancakes) and your entertainment budget for the weekend was literally $5. Nowdays college kids drive around in Audis and go out to the clubs and Door Dash and Uber and eat out every night. And then they bitch about how unfair and crippling their student loan debt is for their transgender urban studies doctorate.
Had me 90% of the way, but then you confused two separate issues. Student debt is crippling no matter what the major or demographic, anyplace where you aren't willing to go to a lower-priced state school whose curriculum is hijacked by Christofascists.

The point of America (and well, civilization in general) has been to make life better for the next generation, which is its own reward. The last two generations have had the hardest time of fulfilling this obligationm for multiple reasons. Maybe it's because the bar is set higher anmd higher, but it does feel like there's a complete backlash to enlightenment and evolution itself recently. Regression has been sold to far too many people as something positive nowadays...

As for Lent, I gave it up in college and never looked back. Fucking hypocritical church leaders. Even Jesus said that ultimately, all you need in life is the Golden Rule.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Has anyone heard from Travis, not seen him post anything on Instagram since before Christmas.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

The Question

Eternal
Yoko Ono with a song about "Hell In Paradise." Sounds like a flash of self-awareness inspired by the idea of Yoko Ono putting on a concert in Vegas.

On an unrelated note:

Sometimes I have the weirdest thoughts. Like: I wonder if Scott Bakula was ever bullied in school by the other kids calling him "Scott Dracula." Or: If you were to bake up two or three dozen pancakes, then drive around throwing them out of the window of your car, what the formal 'offense' listed on the citation would be when the cops write you a ticket for it. Or if they even would write you a ticket for it. Or what the reactions would be if you drove through a majority-black neighborhood and just randomly dropped a pancake out the window.

*plop*
"What da fuck? Didjoo see dat shit? Muh fucka just dropped a fuckin' pancake out his car! Crazy-ass cracka!"

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

The Question

Eternal
Bought a quart of milk, for two reasons:

1. It tastes good, and

2. I'm borderline lactose intolerant, which makes the consequences of drinking it intensely entertaining.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Bought a quart of milk, for two reasons:

1. It tastes good, and

2. I'm borderline lactose intolerant, which makes the consequences of drinking it intensely entertaining.
Reminds me of my co-worker who is allergic to shellfish but eats the shellfish anyway with an epi pen at the ready.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
This is actually a pretty good album - Starpeace. I reviewed it for the college newspaper so I got a free copy. Hard to find these days.
I have one. Never got rid of any of my vinyl, including several hundred 50's and 60's 45's.

With the exception of "Fly" which makes me still want to choke her I kind of like her music.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I lost most of my vinyl when a storage facility "lost" my stuff. Life in Manhattan above 96th St...

I shall rebuild it one day.

jack

My wife grew up at 151st and West End Ave. I know that's not Manhattan, but I know the city pretty well.

My brother in law does voice overs for abc and we come down there occasionally and get good seats for b'way because of his association with Hal Prince.. Would love to have a cocktail next time we come down.

Talk about a photo op.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Is that Bronx? In Manhattan, West End Ave. stretches up to 108th St.

I was about 40 blocks north of that. And of course all my hangouts were down in the West Village on the opposite end of the island, so the money I spent on cabs was insane.

jack

data=5ZKrtDTgQyHF2bb5bMDZ6zgTZ7uxzR0gWy4FnJCMvIcLROB7eO7V5CrvCmpFSYNMkHRuW5j98G_sagGfuXDXYqNskuGVEr7_BkJHSUh6s2J6Mh52OXv6exH9QgnBqZ1DSThKN1Px6vcdtLuot3A5X8GrSMqsUKKT0IpHJcELtmFO7ZSml7eUeK5OsQlUrYOIsWXSQfjRXBCyIZTDfoVbiNyGkHcwciyQ_1KRhHAeqX4jqhnTky86arij_plQiCEF5CY0W-iIiQ

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Yup, my old place is somewhere on that map.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
This is actually a pretty good album - Starpeace. I reviewed it for the college newspaper so I got a free copy. Hard to find these days.
All I remember about that particular song/video back in 1985 was my roommate's girlfriend looking at the tiniest fella there and going "AWWW, I WANT ONE!"

Granted, she was an evil idiot and times have certainly changed, but still.