Who was worse? Adolf Hitler or George S. Patton

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
After reading this report on Pattons opinions of blacks and Jews, you'd think both he and Hitler were on the same side :fear:

Attitude on race
The use of African American troops during the push to the Siegfried Line offers some insight into Patton's attitude towards them. The first African American tank unit, the 761st "Black Panther" Tank Battalion, was assigned to Patton in the fall of 1944, at his reluctant request. As the 761st was about to enter combat, Patton reviewed the battalion and addressed the men:

Men, you're the first Negro tankers to ever fight in the American Army. I would never have asked for you if you weren't good. I have nothing but the best in my Army. I don't care what color you are as long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of bitches. Everyone has their eyes on you and is expecting great things from you. Most of all your race is looking forward to you. Don't let them down and damn you, don't let me down![5]

—George S. Patton, The 761st "Black Panther" Tank Battalion in World War II"

However, like many military officers of the era, Patton expressed his doubts about using black men in combat. On returning to headquarters afterwards, he remarked, "They gave a good first impression, but I have no faith in the inherent fighting ability of the race."[5] He only accepted the 761st because he desperately needed all the ground power he could get. Even after the war, Patton was not inclined to reform his perception of black soldiers. In War As I Knew It, he relates the interaction described above, and comments, "Individually they were good soldiers, but I expressed my belief at the time, and have never found the necessity of changing it, that a colored soldier cannot think fast enough to fight in armor."[6]

D'Este explains that "on the one hand he could and did admire the toughness and courage" of some black soldiers but his writings can also be frequently read as "disdaining them and their officers because they were not part of his social order." Historian Hugh Cole points out that Patton was the first American military leader to integrate the rifle companies "when manpower got tight."

Patton's views on African Americans seem mild and even generous compared to remarks he made about Jews, Arabs, and other ethnic groups he encountered throughout his military career (much less his legendary hatred of the Russians). Like many Americans of his era, he generally considered those who were not of Northern European ancestry to be dirty and uncivilized. However, his statements regarding history show that this did not amount to lack of respect for the military accomplishments of other races. He expressed his feelings about Jews with his writings:

We entered a synagogue which was packed with the greatest stinking bunch of humanity I have ever seen. Either these Displaced Persons never had any sense of decency or else they lost it all during their period of internment by the Germans... My personal opinion is that no people could have sunk to the level of degradation these have reached in the short space of four years.[7]

—George S. Patton, "After the Holocaust: Rebuilding Jewish Lives in Post War Germany"

Though many of his attitudes were common (if not universal) in his time, as with all of his controversial opinions, he was often exceptionally blunt in his expression of them. He once wrote:

The difficulty in understanding the Russian is that we do not take cognizance of the fact that he is not a European, but an Asiatic, and therefore thinks deviously. We can no more understand a Russian than a Chinese or a Japanese, and from what I have seen of them, I have no particular desire to understand them except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them. In addition to his other amiable characteristics, the Russian has no regard for human life and they are all out sons-of-bitches, barbarians, and chronic drunks.[3]

—George S. Patton

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_S._Patton

The Question

Eternal
So what's the issue again?

Tyrant

Let's compare everyone to Hitler.

DarthSikle

GFHH Moderator
No, Patton only killed 5 Million Jews. Hitler wins!!!

Grandtheftcow

Grand Wizard of TK
The only people who are shocked at racist attitudes are those who pretend we've somehow outgrown them.

Racism is still rampant it's just that in todays society it's been forced into murmured remarks and quiet conversations.

Tyrant

Grandtheftcow said:
The only people who are shocked at racist attitudes are those who pretend we've somehow outgrown them.

Racism is still rampant it's just that in todays society it's been forced into murmured remarks and quiet conversations.
I don't like the way you used 'rampant' there, GTC. It makes me suspect that you are hiding some sort of cupcakeardly secret, when you conveyed your thoughts.

They simply weren't nice enough about racism.

Grandtheftcow

Grand Wizard of TK
Gurk_MacGuintey said:
Sounds like something a mud person would say.
Do I look like a brown cow?

Messenger said:
I don't like the way you used 'rampant' there, GTC. It makes me suspect that you are hiding some sort of cupcakeardly secret, when you conveyed your thoughts.

They simply weren't nice enough about racism.
I've always been opposed to ignorant fools be it creationist, racist, or new age pussy. My disdain for racists is no different.

The Question

Eternal
Racism is not the product of ignorance. In most cases, it's the product of too much knowledge.

Tyrant

RACISM among Irish toddlers will be tackled at a conference for childcare providers in Dublin later this month.

International research shows that children can form prejudices against other races even as babies and pre-schoolers. Workers in creches and childcare facilities will be shown how games and activities can prevent such discrimination forming.

Forum targets ‘racist toddlers’

The word 'racism' is being thrown around here without defining any standard meaning. Or rather, the 'spectrum' of racism is a lot broader than the average person is willing to accept and discuss openly.

The toddlers in that example could be 'racist' because they might already be watching too much TV and forming preconceptions about race X, or they simply prefer to be in the company of toddlers that most resemble them.

Using a single term, one already stretched to its limits, to define the act of discrimination, be it whom you'd prefer be your in-law, or whom you would date, or whom you would lynch for bring different than you, is silly and only makes discussions regarding racism all the more complex and 'icky' to those shocked by it, which GTC mentioned, who fall back on simplistic suppositions like: "OMG, you won't take a black woman?>?! Why do you want to hang black people???"

Gurk_MacGuintey

Valhallan Ambassador
Grandtheftcow said:
Do I look like a brown cow?

I've always been opposed to ignorant fools be it creationist, racist, or new age pussy. My disdain for racists is no different.

You've obviously never been overwhelmed by the cloying stench of sweaty cupcakeer pussy whilst trapped in an elevator or a subway car.

Cranky Bastard

"Racist toddlers."

Toddlers aren't anywhere near the age of reason, so this proves my point that racism is genetic.

The Question

Eternal
Or it proves Messenger's point that anything not aggressively multiculturalist will be labeled racism.

A_Real_Prick666

I would say Patton was not as bad as Hitler, because Patton hated everyone equally. Hitler was too selective and narrow in his hatred.

Red Whacker

RACISM among Irish toddlers will be tackled at a conference for childcare providers in Dublin later this month.

I wasn't aware that Ireland haboured a wide range different ethnicities.

Tyrant

Well now you are.

Grandtheftcow

Grand Wizard of TK
The Question said:
Or it proves Messenger's point that anything not aggressively multiculturalist will be labeled racism.
Which is stupidly racist in itself. The idea that culture and genetics are linked is the basis of most racist attitudes.