"You gonna get another job?"...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I've just got done unloading on him for about 5 minutes and I'm debating pointing out that my mind and nerves are fried from doing stuff I have no training, experience, or interest in doing for over 9 months to the point that even if I have time now, I just sit and veg out because I'm so shot from his stupid job. But I may save that for next time.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Seriously, my friend...I don't know. I know he's had a rough year. And I know he doesn't really like his job, but is stuck in it for at least another 5 years. But right now he's the kind of manager I hate. Well, one of the kinds of managers I hate. I hate the ones who micromanage, but I also hate the ones that delegate too far and, more importantly, fail to supervise. If someone isn't in a meeting you should wonder why. And if they aren't in a meeting and Outlook says they're off, you should catch that. Still...I've seen his schedule. It's impossible to have a meeting with him because he's constantly in at least 2 meetings all the time every day.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
"An Actor Prepares" OR: "Jack of all Trades (Master of None)"

Drinking. Unwinding. Brain made me watch the YouTube of Deep Blue Something's "Breakfast at Tiffany's" song/video and they've got one of the musicians on a horse at some point and I suspect he doesn't really know much about riding a horse.

Now I haven't sat a horse in a lifetime, but with the right horse I could put the scene where Indy steals the horse to shame. Grab the bridle, get the horse moving in a tight circle as you leap onto the saddle, haul back on the reins to pop a wheelie and you're off.

There's the whole "method acting" thing, where you become the character; where people like DeNiro stay in character during the whole day and such. One of my instructors maintained that the Method Acting school misses the point. He said that the whole method acting thing was actually the second part of a pair of books on acting, the first being "An Actor Prepares," that maintained that, to be an actor you had to learn how to fence and dance and ride a horse and all sorts of technical skills. And I have a level of pride in the number of things I can do. Maybe not as well as people who do them every day, but I can do them. I can certainly SCUBA dive. I can fence a bit. I can drive well enough. And ride a horse. I'm pretty good with a pistol and can pretend I'm OK with a rifle or shotgun. I've never flown an airplane, but I'm pretty sure I could fly a simple, basic one (like a biplane or a Piper Cub). There's no way I'd try flying a helicopter unless certain death was the alternative--shit, as I type this, I realize I don't even remember the basics of the controls. But all told, I'm in a pretty good place. I'd certainly never accidentally shoot my cinematographer and director. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
...and I'm realizing that, while I hate warfighting and infantry and guerilla war--and I don't speak Ukrainian OR Russian, if you gave me a choice right now, I'd almost rather go kill commies than worry about TPS reports. I'm in no wise an expert on infantry or irregular warfare, I'm vastly more qualified to do that* than I am to be a Record to Report Chart of Accounts Data Analyst (just typing that gives me hives and makes me throw up in mouth a bit). And lets face it: when done right, murder is FUN. "WOLVERINES!"

*In Command and Staff College, which I graduated, we literally rehearsed how you would go about invading a country the size of Libya.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
...and a girl I once had plans for, a strong attraction to, and briefly had my penis inside, is now trying to get in touch with me. *sniff* Sorry babe. Before I came to terms with Oregon being fucked, I tried to make it there. I was her tenant/roommate. And she blew me off. She was a girl who wanted people to fight over her and that wasn't my thing. At first I thought it was because I hadn't made anything of myself so, unemployed (because Portland is fucked and there are/were no jobs) I cashed in my retirement to buy a house (partly because after a great, profitable deal, my Mom got cold feet and wouldn't float me a loan for a house--OK, totally because of this). When I realized I wasn't going to get the girl and that Portland was fucked, I sold the place for almost 3X what I paid for it 7 years earlier and bugged the fuck out. No one listened to me. And now old infertile whores are reaching out to me via intermediaries to get what they could've had 7 years ago for free.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This is kind of a recurring subject, but I've got to whine about it somewhere: I'm tired of adulting. I don't want to be a grown-up today. I don't want to make things happen. I don't want to do the recurring chores that keep the lights on. I don't want to punch a clock anymore. I don't know how people do it for 40 years or so. On top of that, I'm so close to (maybe) having it figured it out that it makes it even worse. It's like being a high school senior in May--only there's no set graduation date yet. It might not even happen this year after all.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Everything about this job just destroys my initiative and morale. Getting to work on weekend chores and it's like "well, I guess I could put my hours in first, it'll be quick." Just click, punch in hours, click, click, done. Except you apparently have to change your password every 17 days. So its "click" "Your password has expired and must be changed." Click to change password. Go to my e-mail and click the link there. Figure out a password I haven't used and meets the security criteria. Change the password. [Save the new password into my password management because at this point I've long used up any passwords that I can remember.] THEN I can finally put in the hours.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Firing a customer. One of the local gurus on real estate investing posits that you should think of renters more like an employee than a customer because they make you money and the idea of "the tenant is always right" is anathema to him. But there is the concept of "firing a customer." I've had it happen to me. A company decides I'm not profitable anymore (or never was) so they just stop providing me a service--or call my bluff when I say I'm going to cancel a credit card, which IIRC, is what it really was.

But the point is, you can totally look at someone as your customer but still decide you're not going to do business with them anymore.

I forget if I mentioned it, but my Problem Child renter came off his lease this month. He said he wanted another lease* and when I told him no one was getting leases now (technically true because I don't have anyone else with an expiring lease) he said he just didn't want to find out he had 30 days to look for another place.

Now it took awhile to learn this--maybe, no certainly, too long to save this relationship--but you can't try to reason with this guy. Because he'll manipulate and guilt and complain at every step. But eventually I learned it, so I didn't reply.

Well on the 27th, he texted me--at 10:40pm that he had my rent. So I changed out of my jammies and ran over to get it (this was another controlling manipulative thing he does that I stupidly allowed). Of course he paid the old rent. Rent automatically went up 2.9% at the end of the first year. So next morning I tactfully reminded him he'd underpaid the rent. He was very apologetic and promised to get me the difference. I said it was good that he paid early because this left him about 36 hours to write another check and have it ready for me.

Eventually he got me the balance at, like, 6:51am on the 4th. Rent is due on the 1st. In full. With no excuses. So I'll be telling him he's going to be moving out by the 30th of April (that's the earliest I can tell him legally). And I'm sure he'll pitch a huge fit that I'm not looking forward to, because he pitches a huge fit about 89% of things. But you know what? It will be the last fit he pitches to me. And then I won't have to deal with him anymore (I mean unless he sues me, which is possible, but not likely).

*The initial 1 year lease was his idea. The pre-'rona textbook solution is to get someone to sign up for the longest lease you can get. But I have a friend who got someone on a 3 year lease and she spends a huge chunk of her time beating this deadbeat with a big stick to try to get her to pay her rent--and she can't evict her, in spite of best efforts. But I'm rambling. The point is, I was pushing for a multiyear lease and he demurred. "I want to see how this works for me."

By this time I was already getting red flags on this guy, so I just bit my lip and thought, "Y'know, I'm OK with that, because that's a 2 way street (and I'm sure you don't realize that)." So now he's left his ass out in the cold with no way to stay in a cheap awesome property and he's feeling bad about it--but he still manages to fuck things up and create headaches for me literally the first day that he doesn't have a lease protecting him. So 'bye. Thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you. :)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Bleah. Trying to get through my e-mails for the week and its like when you overate or overdrank. I feel physically ill as I go "Just one more to read."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
8 minutes. It took me 8 minutes today to give up on this stupid job. To recap: I take Thursdays off. I try to help out if it is a Thursday during month-end, but this Thursday was so busy that I could not. When the day was over and I was sitting down to dinner my friend texted me, asking if I sent out updates. I said I had not, since I don't work Thursdays. Then he wanted to know if I'd told the intern (who works half days on Thursdays) to do the updates. Long story short, I blew my top at him and vented the months of frustration I've felt with this job. I also told him I would not be able to be in Friday because of something that required my immediate attention that would take the entire day (I took off from my other job as well).

So I get up a little early today because I figure we'll be having a month-end coordination meeting at 8:30. Dealt with some other things that needed my immediate attention and then logged on. No meeting. No meeting on the calendar either. So I start in on the 869 (not hyperbole, literally 869) unread e-mails and notice an IM, pinging me to be in the month-end coordination meeting. Friday morning. So a little more than 12 hours after I told my friend I wouldn't be available Friday, he wondered if I was available Friday.

Do you want to crush motivation and morale? Because this is how you crush motivation and morale.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
A surprisingly productive day today. No, not for me and my business, but I actually got a lot of stuff done to dump off this interminable contracting gig. That said...

They use this stupid passive-aggressive tasking tool called "Wrike." You get an e-mail: "Bob Johnson has assigned a task to you in Wrike. Click to be directed to the site."

If you'll recall, I was hired to create/edit applications in Alteryx and Tableau--even though I'd never even seen either software. I got the project I was brought on to do done about the time they lost their intern, so they dumped a bunch of stuff from the intern and from people who'd been promoted onto me. So I really haven't done anything with either program since, oh, we'll say September. And I've got these Wrike tasks that sound like less sexy more confusing Star Trek:TNG technobabble: Remodulate the deflector array so tachyons can pass through but antitachyons are blocked. Or: Frozen Sources Dashboard. (from November 15). Or:
1. Determine Issue with Total Dollars
2. Reverse Debit and Credit...Debit first
3. and Entered for DB/CR/TD
4. Look at ME Weekends-Send to Clarissa
5. Post Close WD-Entries made for period after WD 4
6. Filter on Account Type...1 Assets, 2 Liabilities, 3 equity, 4 Revenue, 5 Cogs, 6 Expenses, 8 Other
7. 7 running Oct

WTF DOES ANY OF THAT EVEN *MEAN*?!?!

Not only do I not know how to do any of the things they want me to do, I don't even know what they want me to do. It's like if I told my dog to assemble an IKEA bookcase. Well, not quite. Because if I want to hurt my brain and through sheer smarts and force of will with Google, resident experts, and whatever else, I could conceivably cobble together something clunky and unreliable that kind of worked. But it seems like it makes more sense to get someone who actually knows accounting and has been trained on the software to do it.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. In infantry you want artillery cover. The thing about artillery is, it isn't instantaneous. The shells take some time to fly through the air to rain hot death down on your foes. And when the Bad Guys are shooting at you, it can take an awful long time after you hear that "Shot, over" that signifies the battery has fired to when they call to warn you of "splash" (impact is imminent).

I mention this because I pulled the trigger on firing my remaining tenant Monday afternoon. I'd have rather rented the other place out first. Hell, I'd rather just kept him. But he's too much headache. I won't go through the entire litany, but he's been literally disrespecting and lying to me since he sent an application and the final insult is, the first month his lease was up and he was on month-to-month, he underpaid the rent and then took until the 4th of the month to fix the problem.

After insisting on a 1 year lease (when he pretty clearly lied about his income, given that he said he made well over 4x the rent every month and then less than a year later said he wasn't going to be able to pay the rent without assistance--and lied about being a nonsmoker) he was upset that, after he was a constant pain in my ass for the entire year, I wasn't going to give him a new lease. I said I was moving all my tenants to month-to-month and reminded him the rent would be going up by 2.9% for the new year, as specified in the lease. He said he was fine with that, he just didn't want to find out he had 30 days to find a new place to live. I didn't reply.

So on (I feel like I've covered a lot of this already) so on the 27th--at 10:40pm, he texts that the rent check is in the mailbox. Since I don't want the mailman to accidentally get it, I change out of jammies and run over and get it. Sure enough, it isn't the new amount, it's the old amount. Next day, at a respectable hour, I diplomatically remind him that he's underpaid the rent and owes me another 2.9% before the 1st. He's apologetic and promises to get it to me. Sat up until 11:59:59 on the 1st. No rent check. Eventually next day he apologizes and promises he'll have the check for me as soon as he gets off work. I shut off the phone and went to bed after 10pm. When I got up there was, of course, no message that he had rent for me. Or the day after that. Finally, before 7am on the 4th, he texts that he has a check for me.

Gee. If you don't want to have to move out, I wonder what you should do: Make sure you pay your rent on time and follow the letter of the lease or lie to, jerk around, piss off, and make work and stress for your landlord.

So the notice is in the mail. Should show up tomorrow. Of course I'm dreading the drama that will likely happen and trying to decide the best way of handling it. He's got to know why he has to move out. At least on a subconscious level (although he IS pretty fucking stupid). So this is just shitty manipulative games. Do I just ghost him? Or do I take the high road and say "Hey, business is business. We've got plans for the property that don't include you"? Or completely unload with every fucking thing he thinks he's put over on me that I've quietly noted? Or maybe something in between and point out that, if you don't want to have to move, maybe the first day your lease is up you should make damn sure the rent is paid and not make your landlord make a second trip for a second check?

This is like when he needed rental assistance. He told me he needed to bring the charity a copy of the lease along with the eviction letter. Since I already suspected he was attempting sneaky stuff, I made sure I followed the law to the letter and didn't get him the letter until 12:01am on the 2nd--even when he pestered me daily about when he could get the letter. Along with the required 1st class and certified mail, I did him the service of printing off and leaving him a copy that night. At the time the mailbox was overflowing and there were UPS packages on the front porch while I could see he was in the living room, playing X-Box. At a respectable hour of the morning he texted me to ask if I could get him a copy of the letter--so he just left the boxes out for the porch pirates overnight. I told him I'd dropped it off that night. Pretty soon he gets back to me to tell me he's realized he can't find his copy of the lease and wants to know if I can make him a copy of mine and drop it off. At this point I diplomatically lost my shit on him. He, of course got all offended and butthurt and tried to make it my fault and I explained to him that he creates his own problems and he has to solve his own problems. I can't solve them for him. This seemed to work for a bit. But I see he's forgotten this valuable lesson already. So I'm not relishing the time between when he gets the letter and when I finally get my keys back.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
There must be some kind of secret handshake for women that no one ever told me. Dates go nowhere mysteriously more often than they pay off. Oddly enough I can do very well online. But then when I actually meet someone that's the end. And I'm stumped. Is my actual personality that instantly repulsive, compared to texts and PMs? Was flirting with a girl for some time. She blew me off for a first date. Week later she invited me out. Got together for coffee. Seemed to go well. Well enough that she asked me if I wanted to stop somewhere for dinner. Walked her to her car. Got home. Texted her I had a wonderful time. Nothing. Remembered I was going to send her a memorial picture of my dog. She replied "Aw, she looks like a sweet doggie. It was nice to meet you."

"I had a wonderful time."
"It was nice to meet you."

Trying not to be insecure or read between the lines, but this seemed like a more polite way of saying "I'm glad I didn't have to use the bear mace." Let it slide, but she did laugh at a joke I made so I tentatively reached out to her. Nothing. I could see she was online, but she wasn't replying to me. Just before retiring for the evening I popped in one more time. I've been blocked. I realize it may not be me, but dang, when I'm the only constant in the equation it sure seems like it must be me. The date before that, it doesn't surprise me. It went even worse. And I felt hurt and confused until I thought about it and I was terrible. My body language was all wrong, I didn't pick up on obvious cues. This one went a lot better--at least at first. Now I've just got to figure out at what point it went sideways. Although maybe it *wasn't* me. Hot girl. 35. Single. No kids. Smart. Interesting. You don't manage to be hot, smart, interesting, female, and single unless there's some kind of reason. Someone's going to snap you up otherwise.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
"The waiting is the hardest part." -Tom Petty.

Haven't had the expected meltdown from the renter yet, but he probably hasn't gotten his mail yet.

Pretty much caught up on the contracting gig. Could do a training session with the person in Ireland. Except she's in Ireland. So she's gone for the day. Don't know what to do with the tasks that have been assigned to me. My friend has exactly one 30 minute window where he cancelled a different meeting today--but most of his meetings are tentative in the afternoon. I'm out Thursday. I see he's out Friday. And it looks like he's out a good chunk of Monday for a dentist appointment. And now an assortment of platitudes, truisms, principles, and maxims:

The most important leadership step is to supervise.
Heavy is the head that wears the crown. If you want someone to do something for you--especially if it is something they're not skilled and experienced at--you've better make the time to give them the direction you need.
Finally, I like to help people and solve problems. But your problem will never be more important to me than it is to you. If I'm trying to solve a problem and the person I'm helping clearly doesn't care as much as I do, I'm going to adjust my commitment accordingly.

Oh, I should mention, around this time of the month he has me go through the checklist for items that are past due and haven't been signed off. Almost 1/3 of them were assigned to him. I messaged him this yesterday. This morning he acknowledged getting IMs from me and told me he would get back to me on them. Haven't heard anything. But I'll stay on the clock just in case he gets back to me. And since I don't have anything I can work on there...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
[DISCLAIMER: I'm an idiot. I know it. Let's get that out of the way. Also, if you're a con man, don't do anything that calls attention to you.]

Fun evening. Got a call from the renter. He was simultaneously begging, threatening, and bargaining--if that is possible. When I explained that the VERY FIRST MONTH his lease was up he "forgot" to pay the new amount of rent--and then took until the 4th to pay the difference. This, apparently wasn't a valid reason for telling someone they have to move out and since nothing was to be gained by extending the conversation I stuck to "We have plans for the property that don't involve you."

BUT...since I was now all wound up, I got out his rental application and really started picking it apart. I knew for a fact by now that he'd lied on it, but when he'd been paying rent on time it wasn't worth making a point of it. The things I did look into checked out and he seemed like a responsible hard working person with a good family that is connected to the community. BUT...after doing some more digging, it looks like almost everything on his rental application was a lie. I can't prove everything yet, but it looks like the only true things were his contact info, his job, his previous address, that he hasn't declared bankruptcy and his sister's info as an emergency contact. He lied about his supervisor not being his Mom. He lied about his income. He gave me his stepdad's phone number as his previous property manager (the previous property is NOT owned by his stepdad). He said he didn't smoke. This is also a lie.

NOW HERE'S THE FUNNY PART: I have a paragraph in my lease--that is straight from a friend who is a real estate attorney--that says if anything is inaccurate, incomplete, or untrue, it is my right to immediately terminate the lease and he agrees to be moved out in 24 hours, forfeiting a month's rent. He signed that he agrees to that. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to spring that on him or not.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Woke up to an apologetic and pleading text. Sucks to be him, but this is something he created for himself. Now he gets to deal with it. My #1 real estate guru is fond of reinforcing "This is a problem that *you* caused yourself," "*you* are going to cause yourself to have to move." It takes a little bit of discipline to remember to use it and I'll admit that I forgot it on the call yesterday, but if you do use it it seems to work pretty well.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
3 unrelated thoughts:
1) He's asked if he can stay through June. I know nothing will change and this runs the risk of making him think he can weasel his way into staying, but the goal is to get the place back in good shape and not have to do an eviction. If giving him until the end of June will get me that, it's probably worth 60 days more headaches.
2) For as much as I bitch about my friend and this contracting gig, I gotta say that his team is top-notch and super. I work 2nd shift tonight, so I sleep in a bit today and then I'm done with the contracting at 1pm. Before the alarm went off I got a text and a missed phone call from my friend, asking if I'd be able to help the intern out with a big short fuse project. Once I got up and logged on, I found that the 10am meeting had been cancelled. Dug through my e-mails for the one that was supposed to be there about the hot topic. Didn't find it. So I PM'ed the person who was supposed to send it and the intern. The sender said to ask the intern what she wanted me to do. The intern said "we've got it, don't worry about it." She's awesome. Pretty much everyone on the team thanks me for sticking around and helping out. I wouldn't hate working with them--if I didn't hate the actual work so much.
3) I had a date Sunday. First date coffee after weeks of online chatting. Thought it went well. But then I got not only ghosted, but actually blocked by her at the site we were on. Then yesterday I started getting just slammed with robocalls and texts about "my health insurance application"--often addressed to "Antonio" or "Luigi." Got to thinking about why this would suddenly start happening. I hadn't given my phone number out to...ahhh.... In retrospect there were so many red flags it looked like a bullfight or something, but of course I was like "cute girl is interested in me" and missed the "So I was dating my neighbor and I had to bail him out of jail after I called the cops on him" and "When I was medically separated from the Army they, of course, loaded me up on antidepressants" and the "...when I attempted suicide..." Because, cute girl. Interested in me.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Never stick your dick in crazy.