"You gonna get another job?"...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
A few things in the news make me want to briefly diverge:

The first is the missing Titanic sub. A lifetime ago, I got SCUBA certified. Never really did anything with it because it is expensive, equipment-intensive, logistically complex, and requires at least 1 other person to do safely. On top of that Northwest Airlines lost my mask, fins, snorkel, and dive log when I went to work in Hawai'i for a couple years. At first I thought I'd just somehow forgot to pack them, but when I got home and went through the storage, I was able to confirm they were lost in transit.

Anyway, the point is, that diving is dangerous. And it gets more dangerous the deeper you get. Basically, every 33 feet you are underwater, your air supply is cut in half by pressure and you wind up breathing twice as much nitrogen. A novice recreational diver can fairly safely go down around 70' without too many worries about decompression or nitrogen narcosis. Around 150' is the absolute "safe" practical limit for SCUBA--and you'd better REALLY know what you're doing that deep. Our instructor said it is smarter to stick to 100' max. "When you go in the water, you're putting one foot in the grave. When you go past 100' you're pretty much jumping in with both feet." The context was that I did my open water certification in Lake Superior. Some divers had explored wrecks down past 200' using SCUBA. The way they did it was they planned everything out, cached extra tanks at decompression stops on the way up the line to their support vessel, specified what (very limited) tasks each diver would do while on the wreck, rehearsed the crap out of it, and looked out for each other. Even then...one of the guys' job was to secure an anchor line. When it was time to go back up, he was missing. They went to check on him and he was right where he was supposed to be, tying a huge knot at the bottom of the line. He'd gotten loopy from the nitrogen. So yeah, there's no way I'm going 2 miles underwater in an untethered submarine built by Some Rich Guy From Washington State.

In local news, a woman just...the jury declined to indict her on manslaughter charges for shooting and killing an employee at a veterinary clinic. There was apparently a dispute about the bill for her dog. The local news ran a portion of the security footage and the employee, a young guy punched her. No audio, so I don't know what was being said, but he clearly threw the first punch and then squared off and started bobbing and weaving and throwing feints like he was Glass Joe in Mike Tyson Punch-Out. At this point the woman is cornered in a narrow hallway so she pulls a pistol out of her purse. In response, the guy...tries to grab it or slap it out of her hand, while continuing to prance around with his fists up. Eventually, he gets backed out the door and they cut the video. Apparently what happened next is, he picked up a traffic cone and tried to clobber the woman with it when she tried to leave so she shot him. And my response is "play stupid games..." Seriously. First off, you never attack a customer. If a customer attacks you and you have no other option, you fight back with the intent to kill them, but you NEVER throw the first punch. Hell, you don't even nonverbally escalate. And if you're in a fight and someone takes out a guy and all you have are your hands, you do like the Lynrd Skynrd song and get the hell out of there. They interviewed The Idiot's dad and their attorney of course and he was like "My son is dead over a dog." And I'm literally laughing and thinking "no, your son is dead because he was a stupid shithead."

You don't ever want a fair fight outside a sporting event. Sean Connery is right in "The Untouchables." In Marine doctrine, you don't want to get into a fight unless you've got 3 to 1 odds in your favor. You don't ever want to have to fire a rifle. You just want to blow the shit out of the Bad Guys with close air support and/or artillery and then come in and accept the surrender.

My parents were not big proponents of going to foreign countries. When I was little, my Dad went to a WWII reunion in Belgium. But there was no way in Hell either of them would go to Russia--not even Mexico. Ask Brittney Griner what can happen to you when you leave the US and our Constitutional protections.

If I previously seemed like someone who takes risks, this may seem like a disconnect. But I take very safe risks. I like to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible and don't like to take a risk unless there's about 3 different ways to win--or at least break even.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So fucking tired. So many mundane things to do: Mow lawn. Get an oil change. Go to a movie. Work. Walk The Dog. Meanwhile I'm trying to renovate a house. I'm also trying to change insurance companies. It's like "Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in another castle." I thought I had everything together, but the new agent is getting blown off by the provider. Haven't heard back from a guy I got a quote from 2 years ago either. So I guess, on top of everything else, I need to dig all my paperwork back out and stop by an office that was recommended to me by the receptionist at the body shop that hooked me up with the guy that repaired my car.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. I think I have insurance with another carrier. Once I confirm that, then I get to see how long it takes to cancel USAA.

Oh, I was gonna say: didn't make it down to work on the house tonight before work. Thought I had some time, but between monkeying with insurance policies, walking The Dog, and getting The Cat In, it got to the point where I'd have spent 30 minutes driving (round trip but still) for 30 minutes of work. Then I would've had to rush home scarf down some calories and rush off to work.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Fuck. Stuck on the phone with my friend. He doesn't have anything to say but he calls. And I answer, because he's a friend, but geez...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I actually was logged on to say something productive, but now I'm just exhausted and considering making another drink.

Oh, but on the plus side, now the battery on my phone is dead, so I've got to stay up long enough for it to recharge. :/

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
You know what the other thing is? It's a bit like talking to my brother. He'll be on the verge of saying something I find interesting--and then he'll go in a completely different direction. If you've read Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad, Poor Dad," he's very much Poor Dad and I may not be Rich Dad, but that's the path I take. So it is exhausting. He'll say "sometimes you look back on your choices and have regrets." Now, I know he's got to make damn good money, because I was a flunky for him and they payed me crazy amounts to basically do intern level work. But when he was considering whether he had to take this United Way board position for his career and I asked him how close he was to retirement he says "8, 10 years." So the regret he had was not travelling more. He followed up that he's been to 17 countries and 40 states. And all the while I'm thinking "that's a great hobby to have after you retire, but how much money did you spend to do that? And what opportunties did you give up to spend your valuable personal time and disposable income traveling?" Get that money invested and go on trips once it pays for your lifestyle. Then he gets to talking about how busy he was today, playing D&D. Or some video game (or whatever, I'm starting to tune out at this point) he's playing or some bar he went to and I'm thinking "you know what I'm busy with? Laundry, bills, housecleaning, lawn mowing, and walking my dog--and if I didn't have that to do, I'd be spending my time working on the house I'm fixing up to rent out." Guy's been with his company for almost a quarter century and he's a decade from retiring. Because he blows all his money on pinball machines and trips to the Indy 500 and GenCon and whatever other shit. My money went into stocks and mutual funds and real estate and while I've made decent money a few times in my life, I'm sure it's nothing like what he makes every year. But I'm looking at retirement in (hopefully) a year or two. And yeah, I've only been to a handful of countries--and mostly only while on the clock with the Marines, I don't care. I'd rather have the money I'd spend, making me 7%+ interest and use the time to do things that make me money going forward. So it is tiring, being on the phone with him as he wastes my precious time, telling me about how he wastes his precious time.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
I've been retired about 2-1/2 years now. Don't know how I ever had time to work.
Are you seriously considering going back to work? How will you live financially if you don't?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Well I'm working part-time. The Plan is to make enough off rental properties. And I was making enough when I tried retiring, but only barely, with no margin for error or any money for luxuries, because The Plan involved having one more rental. So I took a job. Then I wound up buying another rental within a week of taking the job. Now I don't have near as much time for renovating the house as I'd like, but I'll put up with it, because I can carry the charges with what I'm making on the job. But I'd just as soon get the positive cash flow started on the rental.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
A little sad last night too. By the later episodes of "Sell This House" they started doing little vignettes about the city they're in and they had a few episodes from Portland. And Portland before 2011 was really a gem and wonderful place to live. As they're telling about the city and showing shots I'm thinking about how drugs and homelessness and left-wing moonbats have wrecked so many of the things they touted on the episodes (and I loved about the place).

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Definitely need consistent passive income that doesn't involve digging into savings and investments. Even better is to not rely on Social Security income as the Republicans are working harder than ever to steal that money.

I was in Portland back in 2018. It was a lovely place and I had a good time with locals at festivals in their parks. It was a little too hipster for me at the time but did enjoy some of the novelness.

In my area, investors are trying to buy up all the properties and turn them in to Air BnBs. We've been running them out of the area and recently were successful in getting the zoning in our neighborhood changed to exclude short term rentals. Short term rentals are a good idea unless you live next to one.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
THOSE EEEEEVIL REPUBLICANS!!!! :rolleyes: You understand that Social "Security" is inherently not sustainable. It is literally a Ponzi Scheme. Those are illegal for anyone but the Federal Government because they will ALWAYS fail. The Government is able to stack the deck a little bit: It doesn't have to go out and find voluntary suckers to buy into it, it can just force anyone who works for a paycheck to pay into it and take the money before they even see it. But even so, it will fail one day as people live longer and/or less people join the workforce. It would've failed already if EEEEEEEVIL Republican Ronald Reagan hadn't revamped it back in the '80s. No, of course you don't understand that. I might as well be explaining this to my dog. At least she'd be happy for the attention, even if she had no idea what I was talking about.

Anyhow, should be TCB right now but needed a break and needed to whine just a bit. Not that much to get the new house renovated, but also not any time to do it either. Absolutely HAD to mow lawn yesterday. Still more to mow today. Then, when I get a chance, I can go over to the new house...and mow the lawn. Add in cleaning, bookkeeping, oil change, vet to see why one of The Dog's ears keeps filling up with wax, and the fact I have to work tomorrow night and...oh, and having to walk a dog for an hour in the Kentucky summer heat and I just want to take a nap. But that's exactly the opposite of what I need to do.

Lanzman

No-one of consequence
In my area, investors are trying to buy up all the properties and turn them in to Air BnBs. We've been running them out of the area and recently were successful in getting the zoning in our neighborhood changed to exclude short term rentals. Short term rentals are a good idea unless you live next to one.
I own a house in Arizona and the town just notified me that all short-term rental properties (Air BnB types, essentially) must now be registered with the town. Probably the first step to making them verbotten.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Decided to work on the house in the afternoon instead of finishing up the weekend chores. I hate to leave it with absolutely no progress for more than 3 days (I mean, I like progress every day, but having to take 3 days off? Yeesh). The "last mile" concept from IT really holds up everywhere. All the nail holes for pictures are patched. A lot of other plaster work is done. But that last mile... Lots of half-assed cable jack holes to patch. And plaster around the windows where they had ugly window treatments. Touch-up on spots where trim work got taken down, etc. And the spots on the ceiling from the roof leaking. Worked on those today. They're going to be multi-day affairs because they're large enough that I was having a hard time getting the plaster to stick to the whole thing and even that would've worked, they'll still need to be built up with multiple layers. Anyway, I ran out of plaster.

Since I had some time I made my preliminary supply list. I've decided I need to start painting. I can paint while I'm plastering anyway and I need to see something that looks like progress. Cleaning? Bah. "Great, it's slightly less disgusting than it was a week ago and now just smells stale instead of like the inside of an ashtray. Big progress!"

Oerdin

I own a house in Arizona and the town just notified me that all short-term rental properties (Air BnB types, essentially) must now be registered with the town. Probably the first step to making them verbotten.
They did that here in 2015 or so. They didn't make it completely outlawed but they taxed the hell out of them and made it so you needed a permit but you couldn't get a permit if someone else had an Airbnb near yours and who got one tended to come down to who was politically connected and donated the most to politicians. It is highly corrupt just like everything Democraps touch.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
For the record, here they have all kinds of rules too. You have to register ALL rental properties and you can't have a commercial Air BnB (you can rent out a room in the house you live in) if it is close to another one/it has to be zoned commercial and they're talking about either putting a freeze on new short term rentals or outlawing them. Real top notch thinking in a city that is trying to get more tourism. But I suspect the people building new hotels have a hand in it too.

Oerdin

Yep, it is classic weaponize the laws against my competition so I am protected from competition type crap. I am reminded of a local case where a small brewery wanted to open a tasting room and small shop to sell the beers they brew on location at their small brewery. They applied for a limited liquor license specifically designed for breweries to open tap and tarting rooms.

It turns out over 5000 calls to the alcohol control board were made to object to a new limited license being issued and all came from two obese middle eastern brothers who owned a liquor store half a mile away. Seriously, the fat fuckers called to complain into the automated system 5000 times. A local news team tracked them down and got one of the dumb shits on camera where he admitted he just didn't want any competition because then he might have to lower his prices to be competitive. Boo-fucking-hoo.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Bought stuff today for the house. Getting tired of prep work and needing to feel like I'm making some progress. Anyway, I was out of spackle with loads more plaster work to do. And I can continue with plaster while starting in on paint.

To recap, heavy smokers lived in this house for something like 16+ years. Everything was a beautiful beige--including the ceiling--except where pictures were hanging. Those places were white. Cleaning every surface with bleach and TSP...really didn't create a noticeable effect. Cleaning a second time with Pine-Sol and vinegar finally started to make a dent in the relentless filth. I could have cleaned it and cleaned it for the rest of the summer, but at least now it passed for clean-ish. And didn't smell like the inside of an ashtray. In fact I was tempted to skip priming with KILZ.

"Finished" patching the ceiling plaster, where the roof had leaked. (Because I didn't do that textured pattern they did in the '50s and '60s. We'll see if I need to try to replicate that or if paint will be enough to make it all blend together.) But used up most of my new pail of spackle. So I primed a bedroom.

Don't go cheap on paint. You may thing "paint is paint," but I did this once and had a heck of a time trying to get decent coverage. Wound up using about 3 coats (and more importantly 3X as much of my time) to get lackluster effects. Pay extra for good paint. It will save you time, paint, and ultimately money.

The paint I had claimed it did not need priming. But the paint I had probably hadn't seen this house. So I cracked open the KILZ*.

I thought I would hate priming, because it seems like a wasted step that no one will ever see. But given that the nicotine still managed to discolor the primer, I'd say it wasn't a wasted step. And it turns out there are basically no painting rules because no one will ever see this coat. Start with the walls first. Get wall paint on the ceiling and ceiling paint on the walls. Get trim paint everywhere. Because it is all the same. It doesn't matter. And you'll be painting over it anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Skip edging. Come back to it later. Get paint on the floors (I'll be covering the floors later). Go nuts. Slap it on.

I was gonna say something else, but now I forget.

*I punked out and didn't get the oil-based KILZ. Oil is a pain in the butt to work with and I thought it would be overkill. We'll see.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
One of the things I didn't like on my first rental is that there was no "shakedown." I fixed it up. But I never lived there, so I never knew if things worked right or if there were any "bugs" to be resolved. To be fair, this wasn't viable for a number of reasons, but I wish I could've tested the place out before putting people in it. My second rental was easy, because it had been my house. I lived there. Bought a new house that I got a good deal on because it was a terrible rental and a terrible starter home. Lived there while I fixed it up. Then this place came along. And I'm seriously planning on living there a bit ASAP for a number of reasons--and because of a number of developments.

1) It is farther away than is ideal. I spend about 15 minutes driving there. So if I only have an hour to work, half of it is blown on driving to and fro.
2) While my new house is significantly smaller than my old house in regards to livable square footage, it has a basement, more storage, and an additional bedroom. Since I only need 1 bedroom but I've furnished this house, I have more furniture I can spare to stage/live in another house.
3) Jumping out of order for a bit, but insurance companies don't insure rental houses the same way they insure houses that are vacant and being fixed up to become rental houses. This house needs a lot less work, USAA is such a shitty lackluster company that I was able to get it ensured, and since someone was living in it when I bought it, maybe I should cut USAA a bit of slack, but still, if I move there, it makes a stronger case that it is a habitable house.
4) T-Mobile has made wireless broadband a Thing again. My Portland house, I had...I forget the brand, but WiMax. Wireless broadband. They mailed you an appliance. You plugged it into an electrical outlet and had Internet. Easy peasy. For whatever reason, that company went under. But now T-Mobile has something like this again. And actually cheaper than my AT&T fiber. So I just need to rummage my IT junk box for a TV, digital converter box, and antenna; maybe buy another litterbox and pet food dishes, and I can easily set up a comfortable house at the new location. Oh, and I'll get a couple inflatable beds and a couche and repurpose some left-behind furniture for staging.
5) This way I won't need to sweep and vacuum and clean at my house, since I'll be living in my rental. And if I have a few mintues of free time, instead of having to spend 30 minutes (round trip) driving, I can just nail down some baseboards or repair the back fence or whatever.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Managed to prime another bedroom. Paint is wild. It is a test of faith. It looks terrible going on, but when it dries...

KILZ even moreso. As I'm slopping it on, I'm having minor anxiety. Because it looks absolutely terrible. I'd wondered if it was a wasted step to prime, given how effective my cleaning efforts were. And the "one coat" promise of my finish paint. But as I'm priming it just looks like ass. My only consolation is that it is primer so it doesn't have to be perfect and that I got good paint for the final coat.

Made time to do the next bedroom today. Saw the first one after the paint had dried and it was amazing. The ceiling still probably isn't completely white and there's a definite difference in shade above where the wallpaper border was (in spite of the tobacco stains, I'm pretty sure the wall above the border was a darker shade of paint than below--although I have no idea why) but all in all, it looks quite good. You almost don't notice some of the plaster touch-up work that is needed. (That may be more visible when I lay on the final color, but I'll be fixing it before that, so it becomes a moot point.)

Soon I gotta order flooring.

I feel like I know what I'm doing.

Oerdin

I used Kilz on a unit way back in 2010 because despite the lease saying no smoking the fucker immediately started smoking in the unit. I got his ass out in less than 5 months too because his ass got arrested for selling meth and because the neighbors kept complaining to the HOA security about large numbers of strangers going in and out of the unit at all hours. In other words he was running a drug house.

You always have to suspect the worst out of tenants. After that I tried to find stable married families with children as they tend to move less. Eventually moved on to single mothers on section 8 because at least I knew I would always get 80% on time and they almost never leave so you save money not having to rehab it each time for a new renter. You get one in there and they will never leave because no where else will take them.

The downsides got worse in 2020 though when they legally capped rent increases to 10% per year and then got worse again in 2023 when they capped rent increases to 5%. At this rate as units become open I will sell them because fuck the government. Market rate is going up 20% per year, they keep passing laws to protect deadbeats and fuck over landlords, so I will cash out over time. There will be ever fewer rental units available on the market because they wanted to piss on small landlords so rents will just keep going up and up and up for all new renters. Socialist horse shit always fails.