Yub and FBI play Pat-a-cake over the use of Torrents

Yub

Anachrophobic
Yes, I torrent because it's the now hip thing....whisky, you're a giant berk. You know, the cool thing about having your own family is that it's your family. You can institute whatever damn traditions you like.

Of course, if you want to be beholden to the feed, that is, being fed...go right ahead. But instead of whining about how Sky won't play what you want it to...well, you have options.

Seph

Retired Account

Seph

Retired Account
How does it feel to fail all your family traditions in 1 post?^

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Torrenting shows for your kids is just about as classy as wanking in front of them.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Serious answer?

Parenting comes with responsibilities, and one of those responsibilities is not committing petty crimes in front of your children.

I wasn't actually saying it was the same as committing sex crimes against your children, in case you're confused.

Yub

Anachrophobic
Whether torrenting is a petty crime or not is a matter to be argued, at length. Claiming I'm being an irresponsible parent by doing so is not. Kindly take your opinion and place it with the all of your faecal matter, post haste.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
No, what you're doing is pretty clearly a crime.

And, yeah, as a member of civil society, you do have a responsibility to not actually encourage your kids to commit crimes.

Yub

Anachrophobic
Thank you for repeating your last statement, I'm sure it's extra especially true with a guarantee of freshness now you've said it twice.

It's simply your opinion that I'm encouraging my children to commit criminal acts, sir.

Of course, downloading copyrighted material from any source bar the owner of the copyright is illegal, but then there is legal analysis stating recording your favourite TV show is too. Copyright law is a joke and only the MPAA and RIAA are laughing in their cash filled Jacuzzis.

Whether torrenting is theft or merely sharing of files is another matter, as is whether it's a moral wrong. I believe is not morally wrong to do so, if the information I download is deleted after viewing if readily available. There is a percentage of what I torrent is not available in the open market.

Suffice to say, a lot of what I torrent ends of getting bought and I won't apologize for torrenting it. Stuff gets made in primarily in the USA and I wait anywhere 18-30 months for it appear on my TV and then in some cases have to pay huge amounts to simply clap eyes on it. Ridiculous. I'll torrent, watch and delete it and if I liked it enough, buy the box set when it comes out. If the content is not available for sale, I'll store it.

As to whether I'm encouraging my children to steal: Nonsense. Contravening copyright law is not murder or shoplifting. It is not a witnessable act. All my children know is they saw a TV show or a movie. Where did Daddy get it? The computer. It could have been legally downloaded, not that they'd know what illegal and legal downloads were much less understand the issues that surround filesharing and copyright law.

When they are old enough to grasp these concepts, they will be taught the difference between theft and what I deem fair use.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I have to agree with Yub. I "illegally" download music and burn it to a CD and I don't consider that stealing. I consider that fair use since I'm not reselling the CDs to make money off them. OTOH, I knowingly bought stolen(shoplifted from a videostore) VHS movies off one of my brothers. Now that is stealing.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Thank you for repeating your last statement, I'm sure it's extra especially true with a guarantee of freshness now you've said it twice.

It's simply your opinion that I'm encouraging my children to commit criminal acts, sir.

Of course, downloading copyrighted material from any source bar the owner of the copyright is illegal, but then there is legal analysis stating recording your favourite TV show is too. Copyright law is a joke and only the MPAA and RIAA are laughing in their cash filled Jacuzzis.

Whether torrenting is theft or merely sharing of files is another matter, as is whether it's a moral wrong. I believe is not morally wrong to do so, if the information I download is deleted after viewing if readily available. There is a percentage of what I torrent is not available in the open market.

Suffice to say, a lot of what I torrent ends of getting bought and I won't apologize for torrenting it. Stuff gets made in primarily in the USA and I wait anywhere 18-30 months for it appear on my TV and then in some cases have to pay huge amounts to simply clap eyes on it. Ridiculous. I'll torrent, watch and delete it and if I liked it enough, buy the box set when it comes out. If the content is not available for sale, I'll store it.

As to whether I'm encouraging my children to steal: Nonsense. Contravening copyright law is not murder or shoplifting. It is not a witnessable act. All my children know is they saw a TV show or a movie. Where did Daddy get it? The computer. It could have been legally downloaded, not that they'd know what illegal and legal downloads were much less understand the issues that surround filesharing and copyright law.

When they are old enough to grasp these concepts, they will be taught the difference between theft and what I deem fair use.

Parents shouldn't encourage their children to do illegal things. By doing illegal things in front of them, you're encouraging them to do illegal things. That isn't an opinion, no matter how many ill-formed, mealy-mouthed, EFF-lite opinions about how "you can't, like, regulate INFORMATION, man" you throw at me.

There's plenty of legal precedent for people being prosecuted for illegally copying media over the internet, shockingly enough.

It's wrong to take huge bong hits in front of your kids, too, even if it's not that illegal anymore, it's stupid to have it outlawed, and you'd be OK with them smoking anyways.

Yub

Anachrophobic
Your opinion is flawed. Many children view the behaviour of their parents, legal or not, and eschew it for various reasons. But I'm sure that your opinion will be water tight within the confines of your mind.

As for legal precedent of prosecutions for the violation of copyright law: the law can be interpreted many ways in relation to complex matters, such as new technology and media. I'm of the opinion [as are many others] that the use of copyright law in the hands of lawyers of the MPAA and RIAA has been twisted and abused to serve their own ends, namely bully the public to accept an outdated business model.

I'm sure that your mantra will be repeated in response. Wake me when you have something valid to say.