Yub and FBI play Pat-a-cake over the use of Torrents

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
^The Simpsons suck LMAO TROLLED YOU
Your opinion is flawed. Many children view the behaviour of their parents, legal or not, and eschew it for various reasons. But I'm sure that your opinion will be water tight within the confines of your mind.
How old are your kids?
As for legal precedent of prosecutions for the violation of copyright law: the law can be interpreted many ways in relation to complex matters, such as new technology and media. I'm of the opinion [as are many others] that the use of copyright law in the hands of lawyers of the MPAA and RIAA has been twisted and abused to serve their own ends, namely bully the public to accept an outdated business model.
You're still going to get fined huge amounts if it goes to court. That's the point. You're supposed to teach your kids not to risk things like that.
I'm sure that your mantra will be repeated in response. Wake me when you have something valid to say.
OK brah.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
If someone wanted to split all the shit out so it still was a light hearted simpsons thread, that would be cool.

Is there a button that sends it back to Lonaf where all this bickering belongs?

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
I've dabbled with Electronic pilfering, but I just feel like a criminal whenever I do it. As a result, I haven't downloaded anything illegally for well over a year. I prefer to own my shit outright.

Regardless of the fact that it's in digital format, I still feel like I'm stealing, yet at the same time I don't judge those who do. It's up to them if they prefer to risk it - either way I'm not going to chew anyone out for what is essentially now a way of life these days.

I'm also not going to start to tell other people how to raise their children or set an example to them. I think I have a good idea of what sort of father I'd be, and how I'd go about presenting various issues of morality to them, but the short fact is, I wouldn't have a clue how I'd go about it until such time I become a father.

Yub

Anachrophobic
You're still going to get fined huge amounts if it goes to court. That's the point. You're supposed to teach your kids not to risk things like that.

Again, nonsense. That's like saying you shouldn't fight for something you believe in because you might get hurt or die. No one would ever become a fireman, policeman or serve in the military with that viewpoint, not to mention civil disobedience for a just cause.

These examples are obviously the higher end of the scale, but the point is valid.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
^Um, yeah? Pretty much.

Again, nonsense. That's like saying you shouldn't fight for something you believe in because you might get hurt or die. No one would ever become a fireman, policeman or serve in the military with that viewpoint, not to mention civil disobedience for a just cause.

These examples are obviously the higher end of the scale, but the point is valid.

You're a spoiled child who wants to watch his favorite TV show for free and is inventing ex post facto arguments to justify the fact that he does so. Civil disobedience would involve actually taking a case to court; what you're doing is, at best, bootlegging.

It's laughably self-righteous and incredibly insulting to people who have actually struggled for freedom to claim otherwise.

whisky

Boobie inspector
To be fair we only really hear about the bad Hitler, I am sure there were lots of good Hitlers before the bad apple spoiled the name for everyone.

Yub

Anachrophobic
You're a spoiled child who wants to watch his favorite TV show for free and is inventing ex post facto arguments to justify the fact that he does so. .

Did you skip the part where I said I actually bought the majority of what I download? You must have. Silly me.

Civil disobedience would involve actually taking a case to court; what you're doing is, at best, bootlegging.

It's laughably self-righteous and incredibly insulting to people who have actually struggled for freedom to claim otherwise.

I did not claim I was engaging in civil disobedience, only that the mindset of "leave it alone or you'll get hurt" is one that would prevent people from fighting for what they believed in.

Read the thread, not just the juicy bits.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Passive-aggressively disobeying a rule one don't like for personal gain is pretty much the definition of acting like a spoiled child.

HTH.

Yub

Anachrophobic
Well, I guess I'm going to have to agree to disagree. I'm done. I was basically arguing the point to prove something to whisky anyways.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
Is moving a handful of mildly argumentative posts out of a thread where it was becoming off-topic really akin to incinerating millions of Jews?

^Um, yeah? Pretty much.
Bitch, please ;)

As for the torrenting stuff. I am really indecisive about this. OTOH, I've grown up at a time when it was completely ok to copy music from vinyl and radio to tape. In fact, there were times when 90% of my music was obtained like that. While illegal technically, I don't remember ever having heard a discussion about how that would ruin the music industry and stuff, so I've never developed any sense of wrongness reg that.

OTOH, I am currently witnessing the slow but presumably unstoppable economical ruin of a DVD rental owned by a friend of mine partly due to the torrenting culture and easy accessibility of movies via internet. The impact of illegal downloads is very high, maybe not so much for the big distribution companies as they try to convey, but certainly so for the small businesses that make a living out of renting and selling the stuff.

The simple fact that a law says it's illegal is quite irrelevant for me. I don't blindly follow every law we have in Germany. Of course, I don't have children, so I don't have to set an example either.

I've once watched the horrified reaction of a friend's kids when they realized that their dad had done something the law deemed illegal. They were clearly emotionally torn between wanting to believe his assertions that it was ok and having learnt in school (or wherever) that it was wrong. I think I would want to spare my kids this kind of inner conflict as much as possible. But I also think this is a moot point as long as the children are too young to even comprehend the way the stuff was obtained, let alone have grown an understanding of 'lllegality'.

Seph

Retired Account
Is moving a handful of mildly argumentative posts out of a thread where it was becoming off-topic really akin to incinerating millions of Jews?

use a better example next time, we all know moving posts is worse than killing joo's :phpxd: