All Things SNL

Mirah

I love you
Why aren't they "relevant"? I thought they were just trying to play good music.

Mirah

I love you
Once I start watching the Californians I can't stop.
Here is the dress rehearsal of the first one.

Bill Hader about the Californians

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
This week the host is Matt Damon with Miley Cyrus and Mark Ronson.

Mirah

I love you
Awesome! I assumed it was a re-run show and didn't pay attention to it. Also, now I saw this one which I missed last year. j

Mirah

I love you
Instead of, "I am watching all of Star Trek"

I am Watching All of SNL.

Beginning with S1 E1
George Carlin
Oct 11 1975 (I was just 3 mo old)
Musical Guest includes Billy Preston and Janis Ian

Included in the cast are:
John Belushi
A film by Albert Brooks
Jim Henson's Muppets
Jane Curtain
Garret Morris
Laraine Newman
Gilda Radner
Dan Aykroyd
Chevy Chase
George Coe
MichaelO Donoghue

Valarie Bromfield
Andy Kaufman

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I love this.

Mirah

I love you
SNL
S1 Ep1
Begins with a sketch about ESL. (Funny to me esp since I am doing some ESL now)
George Carlin is funny of course. He gets to come out many times during the show to do jokes. I like that format.
Next some sketch about "Replacement Dad Insurance"
Andy Kaufman performs the famous Mighty Mouse and I just feel like I am transported in history and am extremely happy watching this.
Then Billy Preston
Later Janis Ian comes on and I realize I am "Following" her on FB and I put the 2 together and feel slightly silly for not realizing who she is.

Next cut to a scene about court where a lady cannot say outloud what an attacker said to her before pulling her into an alley way. So she writes it down instead. It begins with, "Hey baby how would you like to...." and it gets handed around to people in the court room where we see their various reactions. The ending was cute.

Other Sketches:
Victims of Shark Bite
Bee Hospital
Stand by operator advertisement
Show us your guns-it was odd-but I would like to find a separate of it and show it.
And then Trojan Horse Home Security
Chevy chase does a commercial with someone....saying he is his wife....it is about Jamitol
WEEKEND UPDATE WITH CHEVY CHASE: It was good! Campaign Slogan for Ford, "If he is so dumb, how come he is president?"
It's a 10 cent stamp, but it you want to lick it-its a quarter. (Stamp commemorating prostitution)
Jokes about the Blaine Hotel-where many murders have happened....
Jim Henson sketch was...interesting......
TOP HEADLINES CALLED THE IMPOSSIBLE TRUTH were read:
Blind Taxi Driver
Israel and Georgia switching places
Age of Consent lowered to 7 in OR...(Strange)

Comedian Valarie Bromfield does a monologue, she is funny.

Sorry it is more than a few sentences Loktar. Perhaps I will streamline it better as time goes on.

Mirah

I love you
I really wish I had done this sooner. It is fascinating to watch this era and see the comedy and music of the time on SNL, such as Paul Simon, ABBA, and Esther Phillips. WOW! Also-Art Garfunkel joined Paul Simon on stage and I had to look up thier history because I had NO IDEA about their relationship difficulties. Another WOW!
Also it is strange that Penny Marshal died this week. I had just watched S1 E3 where Rob Reinter hosts and mentions his wife who comes out on stage and its Penny! My third WOW! I can't believe how much I don't know about the 70's! :D

Candice Bergen was an excellent host on S1E4! And of course she was all, "I am the first woman to host SNL" and like I mean its the 4th episode, so funny. I see she also hosted ep 8 so I am excited to see her again.

I am enjoying the sketches and the jokes about President Ford. I need to research this thing about him sneezing and the secret service chasing after a hankerchief-becasue there are a lot of jokes about that one incident.

Some of the sketches are just okay-like the muppets ones, they are sort of cute. But some of the sketches would never fly in todays world. I will just leave it at that for now. Currently on S1 E7 with Richard Pryor hosting, which so far is funny. I see on WIKI there is a Lily Tomlin episode that doesn't seem to be on HULU....I will have to research that as well.

Also they seem to have these Bee costumes so the Bees appear in every episode so far. It is kind of funny in itself, but the actual sketches are not as funny! But to me it would be funny if each Season of SNL they received some sort of costume they had to work into each show some how.

Anyway, I leave you with: What a difference a day makes

Mirah

I love you
I would like to make it known that on December 13, 1975 Chevy Chase's character said the N word on SNL to Richard Pryer!

Mirah

I love you
I was just thinking how racist some of these old sketches are, and then I was 1/2 listening to Chevy Chase's Weekend Update and I thought he said Vagina, but he just said China.
AND THEN I THOUGHT, "WOW I MUST BE A RACIST TOO!"

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The cast HATED the bee sketches, which is why they stopped showing up after the first couple of seasons.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Here's a guy's page on Vimeo, with a bunch of old and newer SNL clips, but what I love is watching all the different opening credits/themes over the years. As a kid I would tape them and rank them (YES WACKY I RANK THINGS TOO). And by "tape" I mean holding up a portable audio cassette recorder to the speaker of the TV.

https://vimeo.com/user46711918

You can imagine my explosive delight when I found a page dedicated to the opening credits at the SNL Wiki:

https://snl.wikia.com/wiki/Opening_montage

:bigass: