Star Trek: Picard

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I think that means you're married.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I’m curious whose idea it was to make the Romulan woman such a ridiculous cliche. I get the feeling that it’s not really what was on paper, but it was the actor or directors decision. I reckon an older non-sexy actress (like Irish Romulan) would’ve made the role a lot more credible.

Another vote for “killing Hugh is dumb”. Why have him survive execution only to die a few minutes later? I guess it was meant to give Romulan Legolas an emotional moment, but he barely knew the guy and can’t really get any more badass so it was pretty pointless. Would’ve been really nice for Hugh and Seven to meet too.

Obviously having Troi and Riker back was great.

I lolled when Romulan Spy gave Agnes the tracker and Agnes ate it without any instruction. “Uh.. you were just supposed to put that in your pocket...”

whisky

Boobie inspector
I'm just glad she didn't swallow it before she was told she needed to crunch it, because that would have been awkward.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
It would have been worse if she mistook it for a suppository.

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
For those of you mentioning Control... I would like to point out that Control technically didn't originate in Discovery. Rather... that thing was yoinked from the Section 31 novels (centered around Dr. Bashir).

MODMAN

If ANY of this ties into that "other" series I will turn on Picard in a heart beat. Control was an ill-conceived and poorly-executed idea to begin with.

Also love how Icheb, Hugh and Brian Brophy are now retroactively finding their way on to fans' all time favorite character lists. That painfully dull Icheb got off light. As for Brophy and Hugh they had what, three episodes between them? FFS.

They've set the bar rather high so far as what the secret is that will drive you mad. Think about it - what truth could tear your mind apart? Perhaps a truth that shatters your very notion of existence. Perhaps, the knowledge that you weren't real? I wondered if this is what happened thousands of years ago. A race of synths were created that were near-sentience. At some point, they developed full sentience, but went insane when they became aware of their own existence. If anyone's seen David Tennant's Doctor Who - remember he said the Cybermen had inhibitors as they would go mad without them. Something along those lines. Synths went on a planet-destroying rampage... (?)

Probably not. There's the issue with the Romulan ship assimilated and whether the secret ties in with The Borg. Why was Soji on The Cube - was it to dig deeper into The Borg, or The Romulans? Perhaps the latter.

CaptainWacky

The Romulans experimented with synths thousands of years ago, created the Borg by mistake...the Vulcans have known all along but didn't bother telling anyone.

whisky

Boobie inspector
And first contact the vulcans were really there because the borg were there.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
So the entire basis for Roddenberry's original vision of the future is reduced to: humans were used as gullible tools while forming the Federation.

I'm not okay with that.

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
When "Wild Mass Guessing" goes wrong...

CaptainWacky

I wasn't really being serious.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I would say Cromwell's Cochran was more Rick Berman's filter on Roddenberry's vision (he was dead by then)

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
The Rikers seemed relatively happy and accepting of their son's death. Shit happens to everyone (having him die of a computer virus or something was pretty weird though.)

That was brilliant, actually. It showed the unintended consequences of knee-jerk reactionary bullshit policies governments come up with in response to a tragedy or attack. That’s not a new thing for the Federation either. They wholesale banned an entire field of research due to fear from the eugenics wars. Research that would have saved lives, and improved life for those with disabilities, but no instead they threw the baby out with the bath water. We saw the consequences of that in DS9 with Bashir.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
For those of you mentioning Control... I would like to point out that Control technically didn't originate in Discovery. Rather... that thing was yoinked from the Section 31 novels (centered around Dr. Bashir).
Further back than that. TOS - “The Ultimate Computer”

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
That was brilliant, actually. It showed the unintended consequences of knee-jerk reactionary bullshit policies governments come up with in response to a tragedy or attack. That’s not a new thing for the Federation either. They wholesale banned an entire field of research due to fear from the eugenics wars. Research that would have saved lives, and improved life for those with disabilities, but no instead they threw the baby out with the bath water. We saw the consequences of that in DS9 with Bashir.

You're right, of course, and I like how they're loosely tying all of that sort of hypocrisy together. It's really not like they haven't done it before.

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
Further back than that. TOS - “The Ultimate Computer”

Oh, I don't mean the concept of a deranged AI (like the M5 was). I mean the character Control originated in the novels.

The Question

Eternal
I lolled when Romulan Spy gave Agnes the tracker and Agnes ate it without any instruction. “Uh.. you were just supposed to put that in your pocket...”

"Can't hand these damn Terrans anything without they put it in their mouths and try to eat it..."