Star Trek: Picard

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
I’m getting a serious Reaper vibe from this series, and that makes me very happy considering Mass Effect is one of my favorite game franchises.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
That’s what I had in mind too. The vision if it had been about the Borg specifically would have really added to their mystique.

The Question

Eternal
There's a new fan theory circulating that I haven't looked deeply into yet that suggests it may be a reference to the Iconians.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Episode 9 thoughts, don't read if you haven't watched.

Akiva Goldsman is a fucking hack and should never be allowed to direct anything ever again. Have Jonathan Frakes direct every episode of season 2 please. The episode felt completely different from the rest of the show. Even if you didn't like the rest of the show I think you'd agree they should at least stick to a tone. The planet of the robots felt like something from TNG season one. Maybe that was on purpose but I didn't like it!

OH LOOK IT'S SPOT REMEMBER SPOT FROM TNG YOU LIKED SPOT FROM TNG DIDN'T YOU HE'S HERE FOR NO FUCKING REASON IT'S SPOT FROM TNG WOOO.

Seriously why is Seven of Nine in this show.

Turns out the real enemy are...super evolved robots from another dimension who'll kill all organic life if they get a phone call? So the Romulans were right? Robots really are going to kill us all?

Soong has a fucking never before mentioned son WHO LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE HIM AND HAS THE EXACT SAME JOB. I know Enterprise did the same thing but that was pretty goofy too.

And...they hint that Picard might die and be placed in a robot body. We might be getting robot Picard. That might be a thing. Robot Picard.

All of the actors are actually good and yet somehow the scenes are bad?

I didn't like this episode in case you can't tell.

Last edited:

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
YEah so the whole "Romulans want to kill all robots because they think they're bad but actually Picard will show how actually people should just live with each other" thing was a bit rote... but having the robots be actually evil all along kind of ruins that and just makes the Romulans' bigotry justified?? Fuck off.

Also Dr. Soong's whole thing was that he was a crazy scientist who no one liked and who built his family instead of actually having one. So having a son who's just a chip off the old block is, also, dumb as hell.

Ugh

The Question

Eternal
Plus, who was Whoopty-Boopty-Floopity-Floop Soong's mother?! Juliana Tainer Soong? So... what, is he half android? Or... or what? How is he Noonien Soong's son? By whom? Plus, Noonien Soong was in his late, late 90s, 30+ years ago. Shouldn't his son be way older by now?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
SEXY ROBOTS!

Seven of Nine and Legolas should get a spin off where they get to do things.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I dont think modern trek writes shows where people do things.

Kirk should have been there to kiss the evil android and make her head explode.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
SEXY ROBOTS!

Seven of Nine and Legolas should get a spin off where they get to do things.

I'd watch a Seven of Nine cooking show.

The Question

Eternal
Makes no sense that Soong would have had a son. With whom? He and his wife didn't have any kids except the ones he built. What seems more likely is that Whoopty-Boopty Soong (I can't be arsed to remember his name) is another android like Juliana Tainer, except the first of the organic versions, and that's where Maddox got the idea for how to do it. Maddox just stole Soong's work and replicated the process that created Whoopby-Boopty Soong, using the girlie-droids as a physical template.

whisky

Boobie inspector
If he was an android why would he be building himself an android body?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Cylons.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Remember last week when Seven became the Borg Queen and linked up with the Collective for the first time in twenty five years (or whatever) and it was supposed to be a huge deal to her, and thousands of drones died while her mind was connected to theirs and surely they were going to follow it up this week? Nah, she's just smiling and kicking dead Romulans!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
In addition to everything above, I found this episode really dull.

Fingers crossed the finale makes up it.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think I know how it's going to end, the master robot race will arrive to kill all organics, and Picard will point at the borg and say they are part organic and half synthetic, and if they kill them, they are killing their own. So to save the universe Picard has to embrace his time as a borg, and that ends up saving everyone.