Star Trek: Picard

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Well, I didn't hate it. It wasn't the best ST ever obv, but it was okay. I'm glad Seven killed the evil Romulan, at least!

whisky

Boobie inspector
What was the point of the romulan being on the borg cube anyway? Also what happened to the brother? Does he live with the robots now?

The Question

Eternal
Just a shame that that world went from having kickass living androids to... well, basically, Blade Runner replicants sans the shortened lifespan.

The Question

Eternal
What was the point of the romulan being on the borg cube anyway? Also what happened to the brother? Does he live with the robots now?

Gotta be paradise for a robo-poon aficionado like him, right?

The Question

Eternal
"My name is Altan Inigo Montoya. You keeled my toaster. Prepare to die."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
You mean you are shocked that the doofuses that are behind Star Trek discovery have fucked up picard too, suckers!!!!
The doofuses have been fucking up Star Trek at one level or another since 1994 or so. Oh, there are bright spots. But overall, the franchise has stank for a quarter century or more. (And TNG isn't nearly as good as one remembers.)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
There were parts I liked (Picard and Data’s chat, Captain Riker, Seven’s fight), but al lot of it was fanwanky and kind of hard to follow. It reminded me a lot of the problems Doctor Who had in the RTD and Moffat eras. The psychic fix everything maguffin was the worst offender of that.

The Starfleet ships are from Star Trek Online apparently. I don’t think the design is terrible, but repeating them 100 times is incredibly lazy considering how simple it would be even just to make kitbashes from that one design. It would take a couple of minutes to make a shoddy Nebula/Miranda version to stick in the background.

Picard dying when season 2 and 3 of Star Trek Picard are already on the way doesn’t have much impact! I guess they didn’t know that when they wrote it.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
I won't lie; I liked it.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
One good thing to come out of it for me was seeing lots of old names pop up in the TrekBBS threads each week. I got to talk to an old friend I haven't had contact with in 17 years so that was cool.

The Question

Eternal
On rewatching it, I liked it in the places where I succeeded in not actually thinking about what was going on. And I won't lie, I'm curious to know if the girl-bots' nipples are the same color as the rest of the tit, or if Whoopy Boopy Soong designed a color differentiation in there.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
I'll probably have more on this later, but overall I thought it was a pretty good season. There are plenty of things to nitpick if you look for them, and maybe some stupid decisions, but in the end it was really just all about getting Picard out of bed and out of depression and doing good things again, and also resolving his issues over Data's death. That's not a bad story to tell, and for me it worked.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah for me the overall impression is positive. I think the beginning was a lot stronger than the end, as it had a lot more of the thoughtful, slow moments where the show was most successful. I’m disappointed they completely dropped Picard’s housekeepers who were decent actors and age appropriate for him to have decent conversations about his headspace. I feel like the show was least successful when it was trying to be exciting, as the stakes were over egged, but the ideas were undercooked (not sure if that’s mixing metaphors or not). I hope season 2 will have a bit more thought put into the plot.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
Yeah for me the overall impression is positive. I think the beginning was a lot stronger than the end, as it had a lot more of the thoughtful, slow moments where the show was most successful. I’m disappointed they completely dropped Picard’s housekeepers who were decent actors and age appropriate for him to have decent conversations about his headspace. I feel like the show was least successful when it was trying to be exciting, as the stakes were over egged, but the ideas were undercooked (not sure if that’s mixing metaphors or not). I hope season 2 will have a bit more thought put into the plot.

Completely agree with your assessment here. And we definitely need more Laris and Zhaban.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I liked it more than I liked Discovery. I just don't like the idea that the entire season-long story with Picard ending up as a robot was the solution to the continuity problem of Picard's irumodic syndrome. In doing so, Starfleet had to become the villains yet again. Nobody has wanted to follow Roddenberry's upbeat ideas about the future of humanity since Section 31 was conceived. And the same goes for this show, except when it comes to pizza.

Couldn't they just have said that they found a treatment for it in the 25 years since All Good Things, which would have left them free to pursue a different story path that didn't revolve around Data yet again?

Last edited:

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
For those that loved it, I am honestly envious. I wanted to love it more than anything but with even a few days of reflection under my belt, I simply cannot reconcile how badly the characters and plot where handled.

Am I too precious about what *I* think these characters are and how much of a stickler I am for continuity? Probably, but I can't help it. I can take a shaky story or some continuity problems if the good outweighs the bad but my desire to handwave issues away kept getting assaulted more and more as the show went on.

I for sure had some enjoyment through the ten-episodes. I wasn't sitting there with my nose up the entire time by any stretch., but the issues kept piling up. If this was some generic Sci-Fi IP I would have probably enjoyed it a lot more but it's not. It's meant to be Star Trek and this universe and these characters you want to bring back are established so I expect them to be treated with reverence and care and I'm going to be critical if I don't think that's happening.

I know season 2 is meant to be nailed on (although is anything for sure these days?) and that Chabon is leaving (and I do appreciate how he at least wrapped the season without a big cliffhanger) so I'll be back with excitement again (I never learn) hoping for the best if that comes to pass.

That said unless Kurtzman goes I can't say my faith is that high. I've been burned too many times already.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
For those that loved it, I am honestly envious. I wanted to love it more than anything but with even a few days of reflection under my belt, I simply cannot reconcile how badly the characters and plot where handled.

Am I too precious about what *I* think these characters are and how much of a stickler I am for continuity? Probably, but I can't help it. I can take a shaky story or some continuity problems if the good outweighs the bad but my desire to handwave issues away kept getting assaulted more and more as the show went on.

I for sure had some enjoyment through the ten-episodes. I wasn't sitting there with my nose up the entire time by any stretch., but the issues kept piling up. If this was some generic Sci-Fi IP I would have probably enjoyed it a lot more but it's not. It's meant to be Star Trek and this universe and these characters you want to bring back are established so I expect them to be treated with reverence and care and I'm going to be critical if I don't think that's happening.

I know season 2 is meant to be nailed on (although is anything for sure these days?) and that Chabon is leaving (and I do appreciate how he at least wrapped the season without a big cliffhanger) so I'll be back with excitement again (I never learn) hoping for the best if that comes to pass.

That said unless Kurtzman goes I can't say my faith is that high. I've been burned too many times already.

This is also a fair assessment. It's certainly okay and probably good to dislike Star Trek things if they don't appeal to you. I haven't really liked anything much labeled "Star Trek" since DS9 ended until now. But to me it's just a show anyway, and certain things are going to strike a chord in some while other things won't for each viewer.

Mirah

I love you
I couldn't figure out how to watch this on my larger screen which is hooked up to my xbox one. AND THEN SOMEONE SHOWED ME HOW! YAY!!!!!! So now I am finally watching again. (I watched ep 2 on my small chromebook screen)