Star Trek: Picard

The Question

Eternal
Am I too precious about what *I* think these characters are and how much of a stickler I am for continuity?

Not IMO. These people are selling a product, amirite? Moreover, they're selling a product people know and love and remember. A Picard continuation series was a reach for that nostalgia dollar. They're literally banking on people who remember and like this character and the franchise this character existed in.

That imposes a seller's obligation on them to actually deliver what it is they're selling. It's not even slightly out of line for you to expect to get what you're paying for. Me, on the other hand, I had every expectation that they'd fail and/or refuse to deliver, so I just pirated the thing. Keeping the deal fair, after all; if they're going to deliver only a percentage of the goods, they can have a percentage of the transaction -- the part where I watch for free and enjoy it inasmuch as I don't have to feel ripped off by paying for it.

The Question

Eternal
That's... fuck me, I don't even know what to say.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I think the beginning was a lot stronger than the end, as it had a lot more of the thoughtful, slow moments where the show was most successful. I’m disappointed they completely dropped Picard’s housekeepers who were decent actors and age appropriate for him to have decent conversations about his headspace. I feel like the show was least successful when it was trying to be exciting, as the stakes were over egged, but the ideas were undercooked (not sure if that’s mixing metaphors or not).

Seriously, go back to the start of this thread and I was generally being very positive based on the first three episodes. People said they were slow or whatever but it all felt like a logical, cohesive story back then. Even when Seven showed up in episode 4 or 5 and it felt really wrong to me I didn't say anything negative because I thought "well they must have a plan for her." I remember someone (it was Menty, not calling him out though!) complaining about the "sheer fucking hubris" scene but for me that was one of the high points of the season because I thought it was going somewhere. I thought establishing all that story about how the Romulans had become second class citizens and only Picard cared about them was going to be relevant. I thought Picard was going to face a reckoning for his "sheer fucking hubris" and would see the error of his ways while at the same time making Starfleet seen why they were wrong. But...none of that really happened. Picard's big moment in the finale felt flat to me because all he did was talk Soji, a character who had nevere shown any genocidal tendencies, out of killing all organics. Of course she wasn't going to kill all organics! Starfleet I guess lifted the robot ban after (I think this was mentioned in one line of dialogue since I've seen people say it happened, but fucked if I heard it) but I don't know why? The robots didn't attack Mars but Soji almost did something much worse and there was no moment where Picard proved to Starfleet that they should be nice to robots. Did Picard face up to how out of touch he'd become? Not really, instead in the finale it was all about how he was going to die soon (and then he was magically resurrected) so he never had to really face up to anything.

And what abou the Romulans? The first half of the season seemed to be telling a different story about them than the second half. We had them scattered across the galaxy without a homeworld, no longer a great power in the galaxy...then in the finale their ultra secret robot-hating faction has a fleet of TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY SHIPS. Like what the fuck. The Romulans as a species shouldn't have that many ships, let alone this one tiny faction! And yeah the housekeepers were good for giving us a look at the other side of the Romulans but then they disappeared and suddenly there's thousands of Romulans dedicated to killing robots out there.

And where did that fucking magic wand come from.

Was it zuzu?

Yeah! And lol I totally forgot about that name. It's funny that she always hated trolls so much but liked me (then again I was never a real troll.)

(Eggs, SAUSAGEMAN, I also saw Unimatrix7 in a couple of threads.)

The Question

Eternal
What's going on with the team running modern Star Trek? Thinking specifically of Kurtzman here. First they allegedly rip off the game Tardigrades for Discovery, then Mass Effect for Picard? (Of course, it goes all the way back to basically ripping off TWOK for Star Trek Into Darkness, but that's been rehashed to death at this point.)

If the entire justification for BroTrek is to take it in "new directions," how long do we wait for actual new directions instead of plagiarism?

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
What's going on with the team running modern Star Trek? Thinking specifically of Kurtzman here. First they allegedly rip off the game Tardigrades for Discovery, then Mass Effect for Picard? (Of course, it goes all the way back to basically ripping off TWOK for Star Trek Into Darkness, but that's been rehashed to death at this point.)

If the entire justification for BroTrek is to take it in "new directions," how long do we wait for actual new directions instead of plagiarism?

Lighten up, Francis.

The Question

Eternal
And now for a review more engaging than the show itself:

The Question

Eternal
And that just reminded me. The "sheer fucking hubris." line. Not because of the use of the word, 'fuck' but because Admiral What's-Her-Tits is so fucking clueless.

Does she know how many times Picard saved the entire planet? The entire quadrant? The only 'sheer fucking hubris' in that room was hers.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I think the worst thing about this show is that the main storyline is something that would have been done in a two parter on TNG.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
And what abou the Romulans? The first half of the season seemed to be telling a different story about them than the second half. We had them scattered across the galaxy without a homeworld, no longer a great power in the galaxy...then in the finale their ultra secret robot-hating faction has a fleet of TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY SHIPS. Like what the fuck. The Romulans as a species shouldn't have that many ships, let alone this one tiny faction! And yeah the housekeepers were good for giving us a look at the other side of the Romulans but then they disappeared and suddenly there's thousands of Romulans dedicated to killing robots out there.

The problem is that the entire storyline about the Romulans being decimated by the nova of Romulus and crumbling to the point of needing their entire race being saved by Picard and the Federation never made a lick of sense from the get-go.

Obviously a supernova of their homeworlds star would be absolutely devastating but the Romulan Star Empire spans THOUSANDS of light-years. The shockwave of the nova could only travel at the speed of light which is slow as molasses compared to warp speed and would dissipate by the time it reached any other systems within Romulan space.

It's big plot holes like this that really irk me. I get that this was started in Star Trek (2009) --which I actually liked-- but it could have been far better explained in Picard.

For such a monumental event I wish just a bit more time had been spent explaining it "in-universe" as to why this event has crashed the entire empire.

Was it a special type of supernova? Maybe the sun converted itself into a strange star in some way and this is why it was able to threaten so much more of their territory?

Just give me an explanation on screen!

Romulan Star Empire 1.jpg

Internal consistency makes the universe feel so much more important to tell your stories in. Of course ST: Picard is hardly the first offender in terms of playing fast and loose with canon and its own internal consistency but it did seem to go out of its way to make blunder after blunder.

I mean, you're making a show about Jean-Luc Picard but the writers completely ignore the events of Inner Light again and again. It's just baffling.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
But at least Baby Yoda was cute, amirite?

The Question

Eternal
I mean, you're making a show about Jean-Luc Picard but the writers completely ignore the events of Inner Light again and again. It's just baffling.

Particularly in light of the fact that the main theme is based on one of the flute performances from that episode.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The problem is that the entire storyline about the Romulans being decimated by the nova of Romulus and crumbling to the point of needing their entire race being saved by Picard and the Federation never made a lick of sense from the get-go.

Obviously a supernova of their homeworlds star would be absolutely devastating but the Romulan Star Empire spans THOUSANDS of light-years. The shockwave of the nova could only travel at the speed of light which is slow as molasses compared to warp speed and would dissipate by the time it reached any other systems within Romulan space.

It's big plot holes like this that really irk me. I get that this was started in Star Trek (2009) --which I actually liked-- but it could have been far better explained in Picard.

For such a monumental event I wish just a bit more time had been spent explaining it "in-universe" as to why this event has crashed the entire empire.

Was it a special type of supernova? Maybe the sun converted itself into a strange star in some way and this is why it was able to threaten so much more of their territory?

I think the idea is the Romulans didn't believe the Federation about the super nova at first or something and were so reluctant to accept help that by the time they started to evacuate it was too late (I don't know.