Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker???????

I will say this much: I did not like the movie. I wish they hadn't made Rey a Palpatine, and if there were going to go that way, I wish they hadn't made her reject the Palpatine name when they could have made her even stronger by owning that name and owning the fact that her destiny was her own and was not tied to her grandfather, and I REALLY REALLY wish they hadn't had that whole scene where she sees Luke and Leia right before she decides to say she's Rey Skywalker because I almost puked in my mouth. A lot of the big moments were walked back (see: Chewie esploding, C-3PO's memory being erased) so they didn't actually carry any weight. It felt like a big cop out.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I just had the best time in a theater this year! We just love Rey. We also loved that they actually ended it.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Finally saw it today. I've never felt such a lack of excitement before a star wars film before, and such a feeling of meh afterwards.

whisky

Boobie inspector
If Palpatines own lighting is the thing that was killing him, why didn't he just stop using it?

Worst case scenario Rey falls into him with both lightsabers and kills him, which is what he wanted anyway. And he ends up taking her over.

Also Ben's death is the most medically pointless since Padmes.

Couldn't Rey just use half her life force to bring the both of them to half health, then just use some bacta?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Rey should have kissed Ben and brought him back, died, Ben wakes up, brings her back with a kiss, dies, Rey wakes up, brings him back with a kiss, dies, and so on until it fades to black then there's a post credit scene of Rey getting bored and just leaving him dead.

CaptainWacky

That feeling when you get owned by Frodo...

whisky

Boobie inspector
Did that Star destroyer they sent out to destroy the planet get dealt with?

CaptainWacky

whisky

Boobie inspector
Just because Jango treat his clone as a son does not makes clones your children.

This is a retcon of a retcon.

CaptainWacky

Yeah this means Palpatine is Rey's...weird uncle rather than grandfather.

MODMAN

My biggest gripe on top of all the obvious ones is this: We have, to our right - the baddest fleet of all time. Hundreds upon hundreds of Sith destroyers. To our left - when all hope is lost, in enter our heroes, with arguably the largest fleet ever seen on screen. This is - by the way - Star Wars. This is, also, the *ahem*, LAST Star Wars movie. OMFG - get ready for the most awe-inspiring, jaw dropping, balls-to-the-wall, over-the-top space battle of ALL TIME. We haven't had a really decent fleet battle yet in the trilogy. I mean, they've been saving the best till last, right?

Holy shit - thousands of capital ships careening into that gigantic fleet of destroyers. My god, how long did it take the VFX guys to plan out and choreograph this truly galactic battle?

Except, no. Oh, no, you thought that's which way we'd swing? No no no. We're just going to have the falcon dart around briefly with a few support ships and before you know it, the entire fleet is going to be disabled by Palpatine (he really was going easy on Windu, wasn't he?).

It's Star Wars - space battles matter! It was my primary motivation for seeing this crap on the big screen!

CaptainWacky

Palpatine spent thirty five years building a fleet of Star Destroyers that couldn't fly up witout being guided by an easily destroyed radio tower.

Charlemagne

Holy Roman Emperor
Is it just me, or did Rogue One have the only good space battle in all of the Disney-era Star Wars movies?

Dershocka

dershocka
Palpatine having a defective clone, or normal son doesn't change too much I suppose. But, the story of how he escaped exogal (where I assume he was grown/born), rejecting his birthright, and falling in love and conceiving Rey could still make for an intriguing story whether in print or film. I still think this little known clone/son/dad is the most interesting character from the last movie. Was he caught due to Father/cell donor's natural propensity to protect his most important shit with as little, or ineffective defense as possible? Was he on the run for his entire existence? Did he truly show no force abilities, or use his "Father's" ability to conceal his true potential from Palpatine?

MODMAN

Is it just me, or did Rogue One have the only good space battle in all of the Disney-era Star Wars movies?

Rogue One was easily the best. The director is an VFX artist and knows his craft well and how to stage a battle sequence; it looked fantastic on the big screen. What I particularly liked about it was the capital ships were properly incorporated into battle, as opposed to just acting as window dressing. Only other sequence to really show off capital ships in action was Revenge of the Sith.

Between the fleet turning up to Palpatine going full telsa coil was 90 seconds. It was never center stage and at best a side to the main sequence between Rey and Palpatine. Palps was toast about 6 minutes after renewing himself. I'm not suggesting this be a two hour space battle movie, but come on. Would have been phenomenal to see what another director could have done with the right script. The best JJ ever did with a battle sequence was the opening of Star Trek.

SAUSAGEMAN

The past little while on Mary Worth has featured a couple of friends going on a date(??).

EedMXQm.gif
VVW3pF0.png
9eRKLl8.gif
xfoOV9g.gif
HzS4ys6.gif
8lM3BsQ.png

CaptainWacky

Love that naturalistic dialogue!

Dershocka

dershocka
They should've made Snoke a Palpatine clone who got the powers, but mutated hideously, while the normal looking one was just a regular powerless healthy dude. Except of course for the power of the force still obviously residing in his sperm.

whisky

Boobie inspector
If he was tha good at cloning why didn't he clone a new body for Anakin, instead of that shitty armour?

CaptainWacky

He wanted to keep Anakin weak so he couldn't overthrow Palps one day.