Stranger Things (Netflix)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I wonder if this will last long enough so that it's like Welcome Back Kotter where all the high school kids look like they're in their 30s.

CaptainWacky

I like that Eleven and Max are friends now. The cliched "the two girls don't get along!" stuff was one thing I didn't like about season 2.

CaptainWacky

Feels like they give too much away in the trailers really.

Mirah

I love you
Then I won't watch it! But tell me when is it coming back? (I'll probably google it)

CaptainWacky

July 4th.

CaptainWacky

I'll watch it then read about why it was actually bad online.

CaptainWacky

The dark side of this show is that they have to smash the kid who plays Dustin's teeth in with a sledgehammer every year so he can continue to play the character.

CaptainWacky

Did people say "no shit, Sherlock" in the eighties? I THINK I'VE FOUND THE CONTINUITY ERROR THAT WILL FINALLY BRING STRANGER THINGS DOWN.

CaptainWacky

Wait, didn't Dustin have an Ultra Magnus in the first of the season, but this is 1985 and Magnus didn't come out until 1986? This show really doesn't hold up at all!

Anyway, it's a good show I watched season 3. Yeah it's all just nostalgia and the eighties weren't really like that, but Stranger Things is more a recreation of eighties movies than the actual eighties. That's why there can be an absolutely massive Russian base under a mall without anyone noticing. It doesn't make sense, but it totally would have happened in a movie. While every season feels a bit samey, this one at least increased the scale and the grossness with that huge monster made out of melted people. Compare that to season one where we hardly saw the monster. All the actors are very good, whoever cast the kids back in season one deserves some kind of casting award because none of them have turned out to be actual bad actors yet! Maya "hey do you know her parents are..." Hawke was a great addition to the cast andt he scene where she came out to Steve (who is also great!) was among the best of the season. Up there with The Never-Ending Story bit anyway.

I found Hopper a bit annoying early in the season because he KEPT SHOUTING? He was better by the end, thankfully, and the scene with El reading his speech was sad.

Billy was kind of a problem for me, because he was so over the top evil last season (he literally tried to run the kdis over and beat Steve to death) that the "see, he was human too!" bit at the end didn't really work as well as it could have. And he spent most of the season possessed so we didn't see the real him much. They should have had at least a couple of scenes earlier showing that he really did care about Max.

The SEXIST NEWSPAPERMEN bit early in the season was annoying too. Yeah they were leaning into eighties cliches and I'm sure men did a lot worse then (and still do now, fucking men) but there wasn't any pay-off to it, any moment where Nancy proved "see girls can be reporters too!" She just...beat the Busey to death when he was possessed?

I do wonder what they'll do next season. It'll probably be two years away and by that time they'll have to have the kids in high school. Doesn't that kind of ruin it? When they're all jerky teenagers and realistically they'll be drifting apart (Will and El have already moved away) won't that ruin the nostalgia feel? Anyway I'm sure they'll work it out.

Somebody else post now.

Mirah

I love you
Did people say "no shit, Sherlock" in the eighties? I THINK I'VE FOUND THE CONTINUITY ERROR THAT WILL FINALLY BRING STRANGER THINGS DOWN.
I think it was even said in the 70's.

I haven't started watching yet. I will try over the next couple of days maybe.

CaptainWacky

I think it was even said in the 70's.

I haven't started watching yet. I will try over the next couple of days maybe.

WELL THERE WAS DEFINITELY NO ULTRA MAGNUS IN 1985, WHICH PROVES SEASON 4 WILL BE ABOUt TIME TRAVEL.