Wacky Reviews: Things He's Watched On Netflix

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Travelers season 3 finally coming on December 14th, with Magda Apanowicz joining the cast!

It's very good. Yes I had a hard time remembering everything that happened in season two since it's been well over a year, and there are lots of recurringing characters who had me like "wait who's that guy again?" But it's a well plotted, well acted, Canadian science fiction show! The finale was pretty insane and either sets them up for a completely different season 4...or it's the last episode ever (it would kind of work that way I guess but it's not a wholly satisfying ending.)

(Magda is hardly in it don't watch it just for her.)

((But it's a good show anwyay.))

(((Just hard to follow at times.)))

CaptainWacky

I'll watch this.

I watched this. Madelaine Brewer gave a very strong central performance which carried the movie. The first part is an interesting look at the life of a camgirl. Then things get creepy and that's good too. The ending is a bit weird as nothing is really explained (I didn't need a detailed explanation or anything, but how did the other girls die?) and I'm not sure how what she did at the end resolved the problem. But I liked how the movie wasn't saying that being a camgirl itself is bad or judging them or anthing and anyway it was quite good.

CaptainWacky

Tomb Raider - Netflix has this power to make me watch things I wouldn't normally watch just because they're on Netflix and it's easy to watch them. I had no interest in this other than liking Alicia Vikander but because it's on Netflix I thought "yeah I don't feel like reviewing DS9 today so I'll watch it!" Video game movies are notoriously bad, but does this break the curse? Nah! Not really. It's not a total dud but it's pretty dull. Alicia Vikander is the best thing about it as she makes a good, likable Lara Croft (and has great abs) but there's not much to her character. Or any of the characters. It's almost like they're characters in a video game!? There's times when the movie just seems to turn into a game, like Lara will do a puzzle or look around a room looking for clues, and of course the action scenes. The problem is that things like doing puzzles and looking for clues are only fun in games because they're interactive and this movie isn't good enough to make them entertaining on their own. The action scenes are slightly better but again pretty damn video gamey. None of them are good enough to stand up as memorable movie action scenes. There's also flashbacks to her childhood that are presented like video game cutscenes, except they're the type of cutscene you'd be hitting all the buttons on the controller to try to skip (who cars about Lara's dad.) To be honrst I got bored pretty quickly and started reading webpages and looking at the latest female celebrity images rather than giving in my full attention, but I'm pretty sure this movie wasn't very good and I would not recommend it.

CaptainWacky

I'll probably watch this blatant John Wick rip-off starring Mads Mikkelsen.

CaptainWacky

Also can someone just tell me if Titans is worth watching? I remember people saying it looked AWFUL based on the "fuck Batman" trailer, then when it started people said "actually it's not bad!" and then no one said anything else ever.

Mirah

I love you
I have not watched that show.

I just finished watching Killing Eve which stars Sandra Oh. It was on Hulu. Towards the end it began to have a Nikita feel to it. After a while everyone is the enemy and no one knows who is trustworthy. : ( I like Jodie Comer's character.

Wait-didn' I already write about this?! : ( Sorry, I can't remember!

CaptainWacky

I like Killing Eve as well (it's not on Netflix though so I didn't post about it and coudln't be bothered starting a new thread because maybe nobody would have replied.) Jode Comer is a great find.

CaptainWacky

I started watching The Sinner (hi @headvoid) on "can't move off of bed" pace and it's good. Jessica Biel does great acting in it! I'm happy for her after mostly being in terrible things for years. Probably not something you should watch half asleep or in a depressed state though because it's quite disturbing at times and there's incest.

Will probably watch this for same reason as Untitled Mads Mikkelsen Project even though again it might not be good and it's pretty obvious they won't actually go to Io...

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I like Killing Eve as well (it's not on Netflix though so I didn't post about it and coudln't be bothered starting a new thread because maybe nobody would have replied.) Jode Comer is a great find.
I want to check it out, but the endless commercials for it on BBC America turn me off while I'm binging Trek or Doctor Who.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I watched the ballad of Buster Scrubs, or its alternative title, get to like this character then watch them die.

CaptainWacky

I guess I should watch Roma.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
It's slow moving and it requires one's full attention. Which is why I haven't gotten through it all the way yet.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The Fyre Festival doc is an interesting, amusing and sad cautionary tale about organising a music festival for thousands of people on an island with no electricity or running water.

CaptainWacky

I just watched the Fyre Festival thing too because EVERYONE'S talking about it. It was pretty funny how they had no idea how to actual run the festival but thought because they promoted it using "influencers" and models it would all just work out. Also hard to feel too sorry for "influencers" having to sleep in a hurricane shelter for a night. The part where the guy was talking about sucking a dick like he was literally going to suck a dick was weird and funny. Ja Rule seems like a total cock.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I felt really bad for the lady who owned the restaurant. Sadly it doesn’t sound like that main guy is the type who’d ever make things right with her and other people who were out of pocket.

CaptainWacky

I liked how creating a METAL CREDIT CARD was used as evidence of his genius. I guess wankers with money liked it...

whisky

Boobie inspector
I saw the first episode of Titans, which was OK, would watch again.

The first two Dirk Gently which was really good, and the first of something 99, a comedy cop show I liked, but not enough to remember the actual name of it.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Brooklyn Nine-Nine -- funny cop show with Andy Samberg, Terry Crews and Andre Braugher, that was on Fox for years, then canceled and picked up by NBC last year.