Where is the Random Thread of Randomness stuff that doesn't belong in other threads thread?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
1) The Sand People gaffi stick is built off a Fiji totokia club. And they had one (the Fiji club, not the 1977 "Star Wars" prop in a 1978 "Dr. Who" episode: "The Power of Kroll."
2) "Star Wars" works as well--if not better, if you imagine all the characters are gay. I mean, Luke isn't, but Ben is grooming him. And Leia's a fag-hag. But everyone else? Homos. R2 and 3PO. The Ben/Darth/Luke thing. Ben taking Luke to a gay bar to meet Han and Chewie. Who are totally gay. Allegedly Luke's speeder is the downpayment for getting to Alderaan. But is it really? Maybe Luke's starfish is the real incentive.
3) This starts to fall apart around "Empire," when the thrust of the story is more towards incest than homosexuality. And Leia apparently manages to "straighten out" Han. Chewie's shriek of grief is not because Han is frozen in carbonite. It is because their jolly days as Captain and 1st Mate are now behind them. Deep behind them.

The Question

Eternal
One day I called Pottery Barn and asked the clerk if the store was on the west or east side of 101. In California, west of 101 means on the ocean side while east means…the rest of the country.
Her response…”depends on which way you’re coming from”.
This is why I was so disappointed when California never followed through on its "threat" to secede from the United States.

This is also why I use cardinal direction, not relative direction -- North, east, south, and west will always be north, east, south, and west -- and 24 hour time format.

"Call me at seven." can mean morning or night; "Call me at oh-seven-hundred," or, "Call me at nineteen-hundred." is much clearer.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Mirah

I love you
My close friend’s dad is committing medically assisted suicide tonight.

Yay?

I’m all for right to die laws and choice but it doesn’t make it any less sad when someone says “fuck this, I’d rather die”. Things have to be pretty horrible I guess when that looks like the best choice.

A couple recently killed themselves. 70 years old. Sad.

USUC

Trollzilla
This is why I was so disappointed when California never followed through on its "threat" to secede from the United States.

This is also why I use cardinal direction, not relative direction -- North, east, south, and west will always be north, east, south, and west -- and 24 hour time format.

"Call me at seven." can mean morning or night; "Call me at oh-seven-hundred," or, "Call me at nineteen-hundred." is much clearer.
For all the benefits of technology it certainly is serving to dumb people down IMO. Have you ever received a blank stare from a clerk when the cash register fails to calculate change? Writing in cursive is all but gone (they don’t even teach it in schools anymore). Perhaps not an incredible loss but if nothing else it worked some fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination that I believe had value (more so than typing on an iPhone).
Given our two party political situation and the extremists in both parties…I can certainly imagine a future where hard red and blue states vote to divorce from each other (absent major political and campaign finance reform). The divided states of America. I can only hope the country splits in three: red, blue and purple. I want to live in a purple state.

USUC

Trollzilla
Interesting points.
1) Lived in Hawai'i for about 2 years. There it's mauka/makai. And/or windward/leeward. Mauka is inland--towards the mountains. Makai is towards the ocean. Windward is North and/or East. Wetter. Greener. The Road to Hana. Leeward is sunny and dry. Waikiki. Diamond Head.
2) I'll probably never do it myself, but I'm definitely at the age where I get Earnest Hemingway and Hunter S. Thompson. I understand that moment when you wake up and say "Well, shit. I've done everything great that I'll ever do. It's all downhill from here. Time to go out with a bang.
2a) In retrospect, when my Dad was dying of cancer, he was trying to end it with a morphine overdose. And the hospice people really didn't care. But I was a good OCD of German heritage, so if someone tells you how much morphine a person can take and gives you a log to track it--even if they literally say "it isn't a big deal if the log isn't completely accurate," you do what you were told, not what the wink and a nudge were about.
So you didn’t give him additional morphine?
If I had the humane means/ability and I thought a loved one was in physical distress and dying anyway, I would help them leave this world. Maybe your dad wasn’t struggling.
Hospice told my dad a few weeks in advance if/when he got to some certain point and wanted morphine they’d give it to him and he basically wouldn’t come back. He got to a place where he couldn’t speak. He didn’t appear to be in pain but the hospice nurse asked him if he wanted the morphine and he was just able to give her a thumbs up. He died quietly the next day. I’m glad hospice didn’t put the administration of the morphine on us though.
Sincerely,
Debbie Downer
As an aside, forget the super bowl I’m thinking of starting a pool about Russia invading Ukraine.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Mystery, I went to bed drunk, and woke up with no dressing gown on, and a pan near my head.

The Question

Eternal
^^"Dressing gown"? Do you happen to live within the pages of a Charles Dickens novel? lol

whisky

Boobie inspector
There also seems to be a lot less JD in the bottle than there was yesterday.

Maybe you call them something different.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So you didn’t give him additional morphine?
If I had the humane means/ability and I thought a loved one was in physical distress and dying anyway, I would help them leave this world. Maybe your dad wasn’t struggling.
Hospice told my dad a few weeks in advance if/when he got to some certain point and wanted morphine they’d give it to him and he basically wouldn’t come back. He got to a place where he couldn’t speak. He didn’t appear to be in pain but the hospice nurse asked him if he wanted the morphine and he was just able to give her a thumbs up. He died quietly the next day. I’m glad hospice didn’t put the administration of the morphine on us though.
Sincerely,
Debbie Downer
As an aside, forget the super bowl I’m thinking of starting a pool about Russia invading Ukraine.
Thinking on this today, for various reasons. This was really kind of one of those "perfect storm"/"if only a, b, c, ...x, y, and z hadn't happened, the Titanic would've missed the iceberg" things. In addition to my above-mentioned reasons, at the time I was a USMC communications officer. In that line of work, you get conditioned on the importance of getting things right. Either things won't work or the consequences of not doing things exactly to the letter are too high to get intentionally violate something. Man-pack short range radios frequency-hop on a pseudo-random algorithm. If you don't have the clock on the radio set to the right time, you can't talk to anyone on the network because your radio isn't ever on the same frequency. On top of that, if you don't have the right crypto loaded, you're not talking to anyone. If you're doing a multichannel UHF shot and the send and receive antennas aren't pointing right at each other, with line-of-sight, and at the same elevation, you aren't talking to anyone. If you lose or mishandle CLASSIFIED materials there's a good chance your career is over and you may even go to jail. So there's powerful conditioning that if someone tells you "do this this way," you do it that way. Add in that I'm a guy and guys aren't notoriously good at reading between the lines. Then, on the other side of things, there were a number of reasons my Dad wasn't just going to say "I want to die, just help me to die." I can only suppose at them, but I will say Catholicism has a pretty heavy burden on suicide. But probably more importantly, he may have been trying to protect us. He may have wanted to spare me from knowing for the rest of my life that I intentionally killed him. Or that maybe insurance or pensions wouldn't pay out if it was an intentional overdose. Who knows?

Over the years I came to realize some of this, so when my Mom was in the final stages of pancreatic cancer I'd decided on what should be done. Only this time they didn't give us morphine. They gave us...what was the stuff Rush Limbaugh was addicted to for awhile? Oxycodone? I think Oxycodone. I didn't know enough about Oxycodone and wasn't about to go into the local library, where I could get Internet, and Google "how much Oxycodone is lethal?" On top of that, my Mom wasn't my Dad. My Mom was very controlling and uncompromising. She had to be in charge--even when she wasn't able to anymore. That's a whole other story. But the point is, any pill I gave her, I was subjected to a grilling: "What's that? Why are you giving it to me? Is the dosage right? What does it do? Etc." Also, she was more afraid to die than wanting to end the suffering. I have no idea why she was so afraid of dying, but she sure was.

OK. The "various reasons" is that we're about a month out from the anniversary of the death of my dog and I find myself bawling my head off over that all over again today--and wondering why that upset me so much more than losing a number of important humans in my life. But again, that's another topic for another thread. And I've got weekend chores I should be doing anyway.

And yeah, we're living in the montage from the beginning of "Idiocracy" at this point.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
You know how they say you should eat slow because you get full before your brain realizes you're full so you overeat? Pretty sure that's the case with booze too. 2 cocktails before bed. Not quite ready for bed yet and about to go mix up a martini, but I wanted to finish writing something. By the time I was done I realized I had enough alcohol in my belly and that I was ready for bed.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
If you're at a table at a bar and the waitress asks if you want another drink, say "yes." She knows how busy she is, how much is left in your glass, and how long it will be before she can get back. If she's good, she knows how fast you've been drinking too.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Hunker in your bunker.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Rained like a bastard all day today. I call my one rental "Swamp Castle" because it is so close to a flood plain and the lot is fairly flat so water tends to collect on the low end of the lot. Spent more hours remediating drainage these past few months than I care to think about so I went over to see how much effect it had had. It was disappointing and demoralizing. I mean, it probably would've been much worse the way it was, but I'd really hoped there wouldn't be standing water in the parking lot.

Went down into the basement to see if anything was leaking. It was. In an unexpected place. So I went out to inspect. A drainpipe diverter had come loose so the water was soaking in right next to the foundation. In the afternoon it started leaking in a different, expected spot. I still haven't found the cause for it, apart from that enough water must just collect there from the shape of the terrain outside. Realized I should get down there and bail where it was collecting. (It flows down into the bottom of the stairwell, where there is a drain, but the drain is filled up with dirt, and the time I tried to dig it out, it just let water come in from that direction (I think) the last time it rained instead of draining out.) That little...foyer?...was covered with water and the water was creeping up around the base of the dryer. Given that the dryer has 220 volts of electricity coming to it, I decided bailing that water and dumping it into the dishwasher drainpipe was a wise move.

USUC

Trollzilla
… I realized I had enough alcohol in my belly and that I was ready for bed.
My belly and my brain communicate just fine but convincing my brain that there’s plenty of alcohol in my bloodstream is an entirely different issue.
;)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I’ve noticed that most of the cars I see with a “How Am I Driving?” sticker are beat to shit.
Apparently not very well.
83% of the time that I see a driver doing something that looks like it would get him hit, he's in a car that's been hit. "...AND SOMEONE REAR-ENDED HIM. BIG SURPRISE THERE!"