Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Community (season 3 on)

I watched this whole episode and at no point was I like "This is really bad" but at no point was I actually laughing either.

It was just so.... blah. Like it was written by committee. It sort of felt like a normal sitcom except with the cast of Community.

It was okay. Better than last week as it didn't actively annoy me. Probably could have been a season three episode, but if it had we'd all have posted "that was forgettable" afterwards. If we'd remembered to.

Troy has regressed so much that he doesn't even know what sex is? Why would Britta stand for that?

I did laugh at "secret dogs" and "Hmm, calling for help. A classic call for help!"

JUST WATCHED.

Okay, yeah I agree it wasn't as bad as the last one. There's something just not right about it though. Everything is too shiny, the jokes are too easy, and they explain stuff that before we would have been expected to know. BUT, I didn't hate it, and even parts of it were almost as good as it should be.

The new writers need to learn the difference between "meta" and "breaking the fourth wall".

I was the same as Tomtrek, I didn't think it was bad as I watched, but I don't remember any belly laughs. And ending the episode with a serious moment with New Nutless Jeff sort of makes the whole episode bad, because really?
Okay, yeah I agree it wasn't as bad as the last one. There's something just not right about it though. Everything is too shiny, the jokes are too easy, and they explain stuff that before we would have been expected to know. BUT, I didn't hate it, and even parts of it were almost as good as it should be.
Also THIS.

Well I did LOL a few times, but then I am in a very good mood today. The "classic call for help" line and some others were classic Community, but yeah, a lot of it came too easily. It was more like a bunch of people being fed funny line after funny line, than people having conversations about seriousish matters and just so happening to say something hilarious along the way.

The jokes about Troy being dumb were amusing, but I was being amused while squinting and shaking my head. If anyone in the group knew about S&M gear it'd be Troy. Well, old Troy, anyway.

I think Shirley might be better now. Instead of being a caricature of a religious black woman, she seems more natural.

I had mixed reactions to this Inspector Spacetime convention episode. Some of it was ALMOST Community, but then some of it was so NOT COMMUNITY. What are they doing to Jeff and Annie? I guess there won't ever be any subtlety in Community ever again. They've over explained all the relationships.

I hope the part about Pierce simplifying and dumbing down Inspector Spacetime is some sort of meta-commentary about what's happening to the show, because otherwise...

Going in thinking it was THE WORST EPISODE EVER left me thinking "well, it wasn't that bad" but I didn't actually laugh much either. I think I laughed at Abed's line about the Inspector who tried to kill his assistant because they both liked Linda McCartney (just because it was a bit unexpected?) and the line about hotels and adultery...but the rest? It feels like the bullet points for a Community episode but without the heart.

Last week Troy didn't appear to know what sex is but now he's been sleeping with Britta "for weeks" and they don't want to tell Abed so that they can do that opening which probably looked funny on paper but, like, wasn't (yeah Gillian Jacobs is nice a bra but I already knew that.)

Are Jeff and Annie supposed to be dating now or what?

The American Spacetime bit just made me think "this would be funnier with James Van Der Beek."

I was thinking the same thing TOMTREK, and especially when Shirley tried to explain what people like so much about Inspector Spacetime - a show with heart, that doesn't talk down to its fans AND STUFF.

AND ALSO, I agree with you CaptainWacky. After someone in the chat said it was the worst ever, I was expecting it to be so terrible, but there were parts I liked. And it didn't seem quite as bad as the last two episodes. At least Britta wasn't speaking in one liners.

I think they were making sure we didn't think Jeff and Annie are dating. They kept saying stuff about being friends. I always enjoyed the flirty way Jeff and Annie interacted, but I guess they've squashed that FOREVER.

This season is like watching a good attempt at Community fanfic. It's being created by people who love the show but can't quite get inside DAN HARMON's head because they're not DAN HARMON who would have vetoed a lot of the ideas/choices that are now slipping through.

Well I enjoyed it.

Going to the con was a lot of fun and looked quite authentic for the budget. Shirley and Pierce's story... or whatever you'd call it, could have either been a bit more involved, or just removed. Quite reminiscent of the similar thing from an old Simpsons episode, but without the same level of satire. It would've been funnier if Pierce's suggestions had at least seemed to make sense on the surface.

The coda at the end could have been funnier with someone else... someone awful.

LOLed at the Cadbury Cream Eggs line. For the record they are sold here all year round.

And there were a few other parts where I laughed out loud. I'm not sure why anyone would single this episode out as the worst. It wasn't firing on all cylinders, but it was my fave episode of the three we've seen.

Ah, just what we were all waiting for, the return of the annoying Germans. But with a different actor as one of them because the original annoying German is too big for Community now.

Non-ironic Winger speeches are the worst.

Annie should have pigtails all the time.

That was the worst episode ever.

How are jokes about a war from 70 years ago still considered fresh comedy material?

There were lots of funny moments, but for me it was completely dragged down by the anti-German sentiment (yes, I know they don't mean anything by it, but that almost makes it worse. It was cheap, casual xenophobia and Community's better than that) and that stupid, stupid bit where Pierce got electrocuted for 10 solid seconds. This isn't the show I fell in love with. This is the crap seasons of The Simpson.

Yeah Zombie Simipsons is probably the best comparison.

There's also this quote from the AV Club (SAUSAGEMAN reference.)

(TV Club contributor Rowan Kaiser once said that season two of this show was about other sitcoms, while season three was about season two of Community, and that’s not entirely wrong. I’d quibble, but if we’re following his summation, then season four appears to be about the Wikipedia entry of the first three seasons of Community.)

I'm left asking myself what this episode was even about? The group are dicks who hog the study room (even though the reason no one else was there during the pen episode is because they were all at the Puppy Parade and this episode's flashback RUINED CONTINUITY)? That's already been done in the Todd episode. Then they resolve things by...painting a room? Then the Dean (dressed as a nurse for no reason) says "good job!" Was it a meta commentary on shitty sitcom resolutions? No, probably not.