Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Community (season 3 on)

SAUSAGEMAN's pal Todd VanDerWerff responds to the above article:
Deadline floats report Dan Harmon may return to Community because it wants hits, and so do we

by Todd VanDerWerff May 11, 2013

Knowing that Community fans are a hopeful people and knowing that the Internet runs on clickbait and knowing that everybody and their dog would link to a poorly sourced report if it contained something everybody and their dog would like to happen, Deadline put up a report a few hours ago saying that Dan Harmon “might” return to Community, the site had “heard.” Now, it’s entirely possible that the “headlines that can easily be answered with ‘almost certainly not’” competition deadline was today, and we just missed it, but we’re betting this is actually an attempt to get you to read about a thing that probably won’t happen because you want it to happen. Just the fact that the report by Nellie Andreeva (a good reporter, and if somebody were to know about this clearly impossible thing happening, it would be her) cites the feud with Chevy Chase as a major reason Harmon was fired—despite every single credible report saying that had little, if anything, to do with his firing—suggests that it’s chum, thrown out to a fanbase rabid for more good news in the wake of a season five renewal.

Could this happen? Sure. There is almost certainly a universe where Dan Harmon is asked back to be showrunner of the fifth season of Community, despite that sort of situation—a showrunner being fired then asked back a season later—having basically never happened in the history of television. And we mean this in the sense that there is an extremely large but not infinite number of universes and, thus, there is an extremely large but not infinite possible number of universes where this event happens, simply because the laws of quantum physics demand that such a thing be.

But is this one of those universes? Probably not. More likely, this is just an attempt to get as many clicks as possible, and yes, we are aware that by linking to this article in an attempt to get clicks of our own, we are “feeding the beast.” We have read media criticism before. We understand that we are terrible people.

In other news, here are some things that we have “heard” while working on our upfronts reporting today from our lovely apartment in downtown Long Beach:

- Todd VanDerWerff, TV Editor of The A.V. Club, will be receiving a raise of several million dollars.
- Sean O’Neal, News Editor of The A.V. Club, was the unexpected winner of a runoff election in Zambia and will be devoting at least some of his efforts to ruling that country.
- NBC is moving its fall schedule around to accommodate a Frank Fisticuffs series, which will be three hours long and star Holt McCallany.
- Everything you’ve ever hoped and believed would come true is about to happen to you.
- Our cats’ water dish is empty.

Are these reports true? Who knows! But we heard every single one of them, so that means they’re worth reporting. Happy weekend, everybody!
How dare he leave his cats thirsty like that.

Dan Harmon & Chris McKenna Eye Return To ‘Community’ For Final Installment

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Tuesday May 28, 2013 @ 12:03pm PDT

As we reported at the time of NBC’s eleventh-hour renewal of Community, there had been interest in bringing back series creator Dan Harmon for what I hear is expected to be the final 13-episode season of the cult comedy. (It is not on NBC‘s fall schedule). I have learned that both Harmon and key former Community writer-producer Chris McKenna have been approached about rejoining the show for its final chapter.

Harmon is currently unattached, while McKenna is under an overall deal at NBC sibling Universal TV. McKenna, who served as co-executive producer on the Sony TV-produced Community for its first three seasons, left last May to move to Uni TV. Creator/executive producer Harmon was replaced as showrunner by David Guarascio and Moses Port a couple of weeks later. I hear Guarascio and Port had a one-year deal and were approached about coming back but opted to move on.

I'M TELLIN' YE IT'S GONNA HAPPEN.

Let's see...last year was supposed to be the 'final installment' to make enough episodes for syndication...now this year is going to be the 'final installment' for no particular reason other than every other NBC comedy was cancelled...SIX SEASONS IS STILL POSSIBLE. (The movie can be Kickstarted or done on Netflix or FunnyOrDie, so that's a given)

I can't picture how a movie would work. It'd have to be an extended theme episode, really. But you couldn't end it with a Jeff speech, surely.

A movie that subverts movies would seem the most logical thing to do, except that that was all done in the '00s with Scary Movie, Disaster Movie, etc.

I guess it would be a movie where all the characters are accustomed to pausing their lives for a few minutes every 10 minutes or so, only one day life stops blacking out for them and it just starts running continuously -- WHAT DO THEY DO WITH ALL THIS EXTRA TIME????

Dan Harmon ‏@danharmon 14h

Returning to Community, Day One: Hiring of directors hindered by an apparent promise from Sony to Jason Alexander. My deal: not yet closed.

Dan Harmon ‏@danharmon 13h

Sorry about that. There must have been a miscommunication. Season 5 will be directed by whoever the fuck. Sorry! Sorry! #WindyBoys

Dan Harmon ‏@danharmon 2h

Does anyone know any talented writers that haven't been hired by Parks and Rec? I'm staffing for a friend.

Dan Harmon ‏@danharmon 17m

Here are my "deal breakers" coming back to Community: Rhonda Robinson on props. Denise Pizzini on design. Ruthie Aslan in post. Tell Sony.

Dan Harmon ‏@danharmon 15m

Also I would very much like it if @joelmchale @yvettenbrown @GillianJacobs @alisonbrie @dannypudi and @DonaldGlover were somehow involved.

Dan Harmon ‏@danharmon 13m

And maybe @RashisTVUgly and possibly @kenjeong. I ran out of tweet space. But what have those guys done for us lately.

Dan Harmon ‏@danharmon 3m

RT @dpeanutbutter: @danharmon GIVE US A STRAIGHT ANSWER! ~ Yes yes yes! I'm back I'm back I'm back. You can thank @joelmchale.

IS HE SERIOUS? HAS COMMUNITY BEEN SAVED? There aren't any new news articles about it. The most recent one is from 3 days ago. I just happened to be on Twitter because I'm keeping tabs on my sister in Oklahoma (more tornadoes yesterday) SO OMG MAYBE IT'S TRUE?

Would Sony really be happy with him tweeting every little detail about contracts and everything (unless it's sarcasm which I apparently can't detect on the internet)?

I think that's all sarcasm, since it wouldn't be community without the cast.

As someone who's on record as being Super Sacastic, I'm right with you guys. Can't tell whether any of that is serious or not. Normally I wouldn't expect someone to publicly talk about "dealbreakers" as it just makes them come off as arrogant, but since Dan Harmon is enough of a dick to have arseburgers, who can say.

Gillian Jacobs ‏@GillianJacobs 11m

Welcome back, @danharmon! E Pluribus Anus!

Several TV show news sites are now reporting that Dan Harmon is back! I THINK IT'S FOR REAL!

We'll see. The industry trade sites (Deadline, The Wrap, Hollywood Reporter) have no official story about it. The articles I saw at places like HuffPo were basing it solely on the tweets (JOURNALISM! FUCK YEAH!).

When Nikki Finke says it's a done deal with her trademarked (no really, she'll sue your ass) TOLDJA!, I'll believe it.