Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Community (season 3 on)

I thought it was definitely the funniest episode of the season. Danny and Donald were fun playing each other's character (or playing their OWN characters playing each other's character) and the Dean as Jeff and all the "inside of me" jokes were good too. See, it is possible to make the Dean being obesessed with Jeff funny rather than just creepy! Annie was funny too (and YES hot), but sadly Pierce just got the "you're old and going to die soon lol" treatment. Though that might have been because Chevy stormed off that day or something.

The problem was that the episode was about the Britta/Troy relationship and, like, WHAT RELATIONSHIP? We're supposed to believe now that they'd been dating for A YEAR which means they started dating in the middle of season three but we never saw it? And the break-up scenes were a brave attempt at making it wortwhile but we didn't get to see how Britta felt about the relationship or find out why and how they got together in the first place.

Still, if every episode in the season was up to this quality I would be behind further seasons.

Yeah I dunno. I mean it was probably the best of the season but that's a really low bar. It felt like an episode that was much more fun to write and make than to actually watch.

At least the stupid Troy/Britta relationship was over. But I mean although it was kinda touching how they ended it, they didn't address things like the fact that Troy was basically a terrible boyfriend, or, y'know, Britta's opinions and feelings on the whole thing (which I guess aren't important!).

And like Wacky said apart from them being in the same bed a few times there was never actually any sense of them being together. They "got together" last year during Virtual Systems Analysis but since then there's been like three reminders that they even care about each other.

At least we understand why Chevy left.

Yes, I liked that. It seemed to be making fun of the really lame tags they've had for the last couple of episodes.

I think my faith in Jim Rash was well vested. I agree that the whole body swap thing made Troy look like an awful, spineless boyfriend, but it was still hilarious imo. I LOLed at Annie's reactions to the Dean and I thought the fake outtakes were a clever. And it's good that the Britta/Troy "relationship" is over.

It's a pity they can't find a way to bring Pierce into the stories. I'm not sure at this point if they're doing it as a running gag and commentary on how isolated he is from the rest of the group, or if they simply can't come up with anything.

PREDICTION: They will have Chevy sitting at the table saying less and less each week, until his last appearance, when they will realize that he's not just quiet -- he's dead.

There's two episodes to go, apparently he's absent from three episodes this season, he's been absent for two (just did a voiceover in the puppet episode) so...one more episode with him? Then the finale where it's just Abed saying the word "meta" for twenty minutes.

I laughed when Britta said the name of the foreign film at the start. Some of Jeff's lines were amusingly delivered. The Abed/Chang scene at the end was nice if a bit rushed.

But the flashbacks just had me thinking "oh, that's what they're referencing" without actually being funny and the emotional moments now just seem to be designed to give people on tumblr "the feels". The Pierce stand-in and everyone laughing at him was embarrassingly bad.

Ironic Abed would make a midichlorian reference (which would have been dated even in 2008) in a prequel episode that explained things that didn't need to be explained.

I didn't hate it! Some of it was funny, but it's still missing that special something (DAN HARMON).

Yeah... I don't know.

I mean, as Wacky said, it was just doing all the things people hate prequels doing (making contrived reasons for people to have met before but not realize it, and just plain retcon some stuff) and they also did "HA WEREN'T THE PREQUELS BAD??" at the same time. Were this a smarter show (and I can't believe I'm saying that about Community) I would say it was intentional. But it wasn't.

Plus another "hahahaha Britta supports women's rights she's so stupid" joke. Fuck you.

We only have to suffer through one more episode. I'm sure it will be canceled now.

(This article was released yesterday before last night's episode aired)
'Community's' Jim Rash Reveals Return of the Dark Timeline for Season Finale
The Oscar-winning writer and NBC comedy's star discusses what to expect with just two episodes left in Season 4

Published: May 02, 2013 @ 6:16 pm
By Jethro Nededog

Jim Rash was given the difficult task of writing last week's episode of NBC's "Community," which saw the breakup of controversial couple Britta (Gillian Jacobs) and Troy (Donald Glover).

"We knew that we wanted to break them up, the 'Freaky Friday' thing sort of gave us this nice sort of interesting take on that process." Rash told TheWrap about planning the storyline.

Primarily, Rash said the breakup story was about Troy, "who from the very beginning of Season 1 has been on this arc to become a man."

"It was about him surpassing and coming up to the level of Jeff," he explained. "This was an opportunity for Jeff to impart on him exactly the last piece or at least part of the pieces to complete his ascension."

As most things tend to be on "Community," the breakup involved other members of the group. Aside from Jeff (Joel McHale), the story heavily involved Abed (Danny Pudi). He continued on his own voyage of learning about relationships as he went along with the fake body switch with Troy.

And what about poor Britta? Rash hopes that viewers could see that she understood why they had to split.

"I think you get to see Britta, who knows him so well, there’s something they don’t want to lose, despite all this," he said.

This evolution continues through to the Season 4 finale in just two more episodes as the study group gets closer and closer to the graduation day creator Dan Harmon promised viewers a few years ago.

"There’s our sort of origin story which is the next to last episode after the 'Freaky Friday' episode, which is sort of Abed’s obsession and proof that all of their paths have crossed well before our Season 1 pilot," Rash shared.

"From that we go into what could or could not be the graduation and sort of bringing Jeff’s story to a head from the very beginning," he continued. "In doing that, yes, I think it’s fair to say that our dark timeline plays a part of that with all of our characters. So, you’ll get to see a little bit of some of the fun that we had in seeing that in the past. So, that’ll all sort of come to a head for our finale."

"Community" airs Thursdays at 8/7c on NBC.

Why did Abed say Chewie should have recognised Yoda when Chewie and Yoda didn't meet in the original trilogy?

Chewie never met them in the prequels.

Of course Chewie should have pointed out to Han "actually the Force IS real I hung out with Yoda and Ahsoka Tano!" but maybe he just liked to see Han make a fool of himself.

9194.imgcache.png

I wasn't too disappointed in the episode, mostly because they told us weeks ago every single thing that was going to be in it. And they went down the laundry list and efficiently checked off each item: darkest timeline, graduation, Jeff moving on with his life, how to dump Pierce by the road. They gave us plenty of chuckles as they checked off the items. And I got my paintball, with a Matrix chaser.

Should we care a whole lot that the episode set up a concept and didn't follow through on it? Eh. We learned with the first ep of the season that the show can't live without Dan Harmon. It wasn't a Community episode, it was a sitcom taking us on one last date before breaking up with us.

And that last chuckle (for now) is, the show still hasn't been officially canceled. And NBC has canceled enough shows this week to make it possible that Community might be renewed. But I doubt it -- I wonder if the cast even wants it to continue this way.

Most interesting line: "I'm so used to being the guy who can talk his way out of anything, but what do you say when you don't want a way out?"