Doctor Who Series 7: There Will Be Daleks

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
What? Doctor Who's back? Tonight?

[YOUTUBEHD]qrEUBl2pacU[/YOUTUBEHD]

YES after many many months of waiting Doctor Who is finally back for PART ONE of Series 7. 7:20pm on BBC1 and 9/8C on BBCA for ALL THE AMERICANS HERE. Note that there is no Doctor Who Confidential because life is shit.

The series will be structured in this way:

Now - Part One which will end with SOME PEOPLE LEAVING
Christmas Special - On it's own some SOMEONE NEW JOINING
Early Next Year - Part Two which will start some of the 50th Anniversary celebrations because Doctor Who is a Fucking Old Show.

That said, since the actual 50th Anniversary is in November I wouldn't expect a super "11 Doctors (Even The Dead Ones)" episode until Series 8 starts. BUT STILL. Also Matt Smith is not leaving despite what the Daily Mirror says.

But what of this series? Well first it started with a five part prequel called "Pond Life". Look, here they are, look:
One | Two | Three | Four | Five

And then the actual episodes:

1) Asylum of the Daleks by Steven Moffat (you know him) - That's tonight! There will be Daleks! All of them! Even the Special Weapons Dalek!

2) Dinosaurs on a Spaceship by Chris Chibnall (writer of such classics like "42", the boring Silurian two parter, and "Cyberwoman") - I have no idea what this one could be about.

3) A Town Called Mercy by Toby Whithouse (School Reunion/The Vampires of Venice/The God Complex) - Western with Farscape's Ben Browder as a ROBOT MAN.

4) The Power of Three by Chris Chibnall (again) - I don't know a lot about this one, but Chris Chibnall wrote Cyberwoman. Never forget that.

5) The Angels Take Manhatten by Steven Moffat (the Scottish one) - Kermit and friends move to the Big Apple to get their show on Broadway, but they soon discover that it might not be as easy as they first thought...

AND THAT'S IT 'TIL CHRISTMAS. And Jenna Louise Coleman. Let's not be creepy about Jenna Louise Coleman, it's creepy.

HERE'S SOME RUMOURS ABOUT PART TWO, THEY MAY BE BULLSHIT:

Neil Gaiman MIGHT coming back to write a Cybermen episode with all new Cybermen that will be awesome.
Mark Gatiss is writing an episode featuring David Warner as an ICE LORD. With ICE WARRIORS. Who ARE AWESOME.
There's also some mention of "A story set in the TARDIS centered on the Eye of Harmony" which could be awesome if done well.

In summary, Matt Smith can't bowl.
[YOUTUBEHD]fQfvLpfXe2U[/YOUTUBEHD]

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Hey, the Pond Life shorts were by Chris Chibnall, right? I liked the first two very much. The second one had me in hysterics and then there were the other three. The quick flashes of new material were a great way of teasing us... they should really have put them on tv.

No Confidential will suck. How will I know how many hours this week's guest star had to sit in makeup, or how the competition for school children to design a sonic screwdriver is going? (Seriously, it will be a pity not to have it, but they did seem to struggle to find stuff to fill up the time.)

whisky

Boobie inspector
BBC3 suck donkey balls, they cancelled the fades despite it getting great viewing figures (for that channel) and a bafta, because the people that were watching were too old for their target audience, and by too old I mean in their 30s and 40s.

And their reasoning for cancelling confidential? "There is simply nothing left to say about how they make Doctor Who"

I mean how bullshit is that?

Even if every week they just interviewed the cast and showed us a scene being filmed it would still be new.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Does Mark Gaitiss have a contract that states he's allowed to write a new episode every series until he finally writes a good one? [/controversial]

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
FINALLY SOMETHING TO WATCH ON SATURDAYS.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Are you guys watching Doctor Who RIGHT NOW?

CaptainWacky

So was Jenna-Louise Coleman cast for this episode as an unrelated character and they liked her so much that they decided to make her the new companion? Or was this part of the plan and Oswyn will somehow come back to life? Since her appearance was kept secret I'M GUESSING it's part of the plan and she won't be an identical twin cousin. Anyway, she's hot. WHO NEEDS AMY EH.

(Amy's good too.)

It was a good episode. I didn't really like the Pond divorce stuff at the start, but I guess it was worth it for the getting back together scene.

whisky

Boobie inspector
It was ok, they should have done more with the original series Daleks, apart from the special weapon dalek the others were so dusty you couldn't even tell they were there.

Considering that
Dalek girl is supposed to be the new companion it will be interesting to see how the Doctor rescues her, unless he just takes her from earlier in her timeline, although it would be a bit River Song to be hanging around with yet another girl he has already seen die.

Still I guess there is always emergency temporal shift, if worked for Dalek Caan.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OK I'M NOT READING THIS THREAD AGAIN TILL TOMORROW.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh, it was good and a bit spooky when they were sneaking around those half dead Daleks. Love the surprise Dalek chick, never saw that coming. I BET ALL OF YOU DID. :rwmad:

CaptainWacky

I thought the bit where Amy saw the daleks as creepy people dancing was the most likely part to traumatise children.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I like how they made that one Dalek thingy look super menacing by just showing its eye.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Oh, it was good and a bit spooky when they were sneaking around those half dead Daleks. Love the surprise Dalek chick, never saw that coming. I BET ALL OF YOU DID. :rwmad:

I thought she was going to turn out to be another Dalek puppet. I didn't see the full Dalek twist coming.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Will Oswin be her name when she's the companion?

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
The rumours are that the companion's name is "Clara Oswin", which obviously is similar but not the same as the character in this episode.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Maybe they're cousins, or something. Although it would be cool if she survived and Doctor figured out some way to un-Dalek her and bring her back to life.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Since she's a genius maybe she beamed herself onto the TARDIS too and he'll find her later? Or she might've beamed herself to another part of the Dalek spacecraft.

One thing I wondered; if she made all the Daleks forget The Doctor, then shouldn't she have forgotten too? ;) I suppose you can just say that she was subconsciously aware of what she was and avoided erasing her own memory of him.

Agreed about the lack of the old Daleks. I wouldn't really have noticed there were any if there hadn't been any publicity about it. Only noticed the RTD-era ones and the shiny colourful new ones, and a vague notion that some of the ones in the asylum were old, but it was difficult to really tell what was what.

The bit where Amy saw them as people was really good. It's a shame they blew up the asylum as it'd be good to explore that more. Must say I didn't like the virus thingy turning people into Daleks, though. It makes them seem just like the Cybermen.

Anyway, good episode over all. Had a nice sense of adventure, wasn't too heavy on the technobabble and it had some really good lines. What did everyone think of all the Doctor Whoing at the end?