Martin Luther King: Sacred Cow

Cranky Bastard

Mentalist said:
Cranky is being just as lame. It's not my problem that you're all circle jerking eachother into illogical oblivion.

I think I'll take my chances with reason before donning the white hood, thanks.

24.gif

Try disputing the historical fact before dismissing those by whom it comes. Until then, you are dismissed.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Mentalist said:
Check this: I always found it amusing that you thought I actually had any knowledge about the hacked accounts at EI. Newsflash: I didn't, and you know why? Because, basically I have more important things to be worrying about other than your desperate attempts to look like a half competent troll. I was always left perplexed at your constant references to them and I STILL don't know what that was all about. I'm afraid whatever the case at EI was it was my fame preceding me. Sorry to dissapoint.

As for me liking you: It is due to your being a good adversary which I won't retract. But you're living in some sort of delusion if you think that you somehow schooled me into compliance. How very quaint and frankly laughable of you. Check this

42525711.pwned.jpg

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Wisdom said:
What are "good graces"?

Ok, this one is done. Anyone else wanna play with him for a while?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
CoyoteUgly said:
Blacks owe their civil rights and any government position they've held in the past 40 years and hold today due to the good graces of whites.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That one takes the cake. And the cake is made of shit.

The "good graces" of whites? Whites were the ones who kidnapped and enslaved a whole race to begin with. Any powerful whites who did what they did were simply recognizing that we couldn't be hypocrites any longer and not face world ridicule and civil war.

And if MLK Day is appeasement, it could also be said that LBJ appointing Marshall to the bench was appeasement also. It could be said that EVERY good white deed you point out is appeasement. And why? Because we committed atrocities that CALL FOR appeasement, and apologies, and justice in ways we still have yet to imagine.

We were a democracy that also kept slaves, asshat. Can you not see how fucked up that is?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
24.gif

Try disputing the historical fact before dismissing those by whom it comes. Until then, you are dismissed.

Sorry, but you don't have the authority of the high-ground to dissmiss me anywhere. Quite the opposite. And I still haven't seen a defence against the dictionary defintion of "racism" so as long as you're trying to corner specific subjects to attack you deserve nothing but contempt for your weak and feeble tactics.

Try, try again.

Cranky Bastard

Eggs Mayonnaise said:

The "good graces" of whites? Whites were the ones who kidnapped and enslaved a whole race to begin with.

That was a mistake, Eggs. You are not aware of the history of slavery?

Wisdom

CoyoteUgly said:
Ok, this one is done. Anyone else wanna play with him for a while?
I see you miss the point. What you term "good graces" were reactions to actions by black people. Not charitable gifts.

It's not in human nature to just give away power.

Cranky Bastard

Mentalist said:
Sorry, but you don't have the authority of the high-ground to dissmiss me anywhere. Quite the opposite.

I need no high ground to dismiss anyone who refuses to adress fact before dismissing it. Dismissed.

And I still haven't seen a defence against the dictionary defintion of "racism"

Straw man. This thread is about MLK and the truth, not racism. Dismissed.

so as long as you're trying to corner specific subjects to attack you deserve nothing but contempt for your weak and feeble tactics.

Try, try again.

Every half-serious post on this board is a "corner." We all are contemptible then if you typed what you meant in that quote. Ad hominem attacks while avoiding the issue get you nowhere with me. Dismissed.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
A mistake? "Oops, we carried on the enslavement of a continent for 2 centuries, and continued oppressing and harrassing them for another century even after we were forced to free them and call them citizens, our bad!"

It's not like we stepped on someone's toe, calling it a mere "mistake" is like calling genocide a "robbery gone bad."

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
Eggs Mayonnaise said:

The "good graces" of whites? Whites were the ones who kidnapped and enslaved a whole race to begin with. Any powerful whites who did what they did were simply recognizing that we couldn't be hypocrites any longer and not face world ridicule and civil war.

And if MLK Day is appeasement, it could also be said that LBJ appointing Marshall to the bench was appeasement also. It could be said that EVERY good white deed you point out is appeasement. And why? Because we committed atrocities that CALL FOR appeasement, and apologies, and justice in ways we still have yet to imagine.

We were a democracy that also kept slaves, asshat. Can you not see how fucked up that is?

Eggs, I hate to tell you, but you just solidified my point. Blacks didn't take their rights or political power... it was given to them by whites. The reason behind it is another discussion.

As to "ridicule"... please, we're talking the 50s and 60s, not today where we're actually earning the ridicule.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
You can pull out all the twists and minutiae that serve as historical footnotes all you want. Did we not form a democracy that also embraced slavery as a form of labor? And do you agree that such a blatant contradiction will bring about all kinds of consequences?

Cranky Bastard

Eggs Mayonnaise said:
You can pull out all the twists and minutiae that serve as historical footnotes all you want. Did we not form a democracy that also embraced slavery as a form of labor? And do you agree that such a blatant contradiction will bring about all kinds of consequences?

Eggs, really. I'm using your own words, not twisting minutae and footnotes. That's more rhetoric that sidesteps historical fact.

Lemme ask you directly.

What is more important to you? Perceptions, or reality?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Cranky Bastard said:
I need no high ground to dismiss anyone who refuses to adress fact before dismissing it. Dismissed.

What point? That MLK wasn't perfect? So? What's your point again?

Straw man. This thread is about MLK and the truth, not racism. Dismissed.

Au contraire. In your original post you cite other discussions as your motivation to start this thread. And at its core it's an ad hominem attack on a man that personifed the equality struggle, and by trying to undermine his character it is patently clear that you're trying to undermine the race issue in turn.

Every half-serious post on this board is a "corner." We all are contemptible then if you typed what you meant in that quote. Ad hominem attacks while avoiding the issue get you nowhere with me. Dismissed.

Unless the timing of this post is purely coincidental I think it's safe to say that it is indicative of your contempt for the previous discussion pertaining to racism which you have done nothing but skirt around.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Cranky Bastard said:
Eggs, really. I'm using your own words, not twisting minutae and footnotes. That's more rhetoric that sidesteps historical fact.

Lemme ask you directly.

What is more important to you? Perceptions, or reality?
In this case, your real question is does MLK deserve a holiday. And my answer is, "It doesn't bother me, why not."

Let's do Columbus next.

Tyrant

Ugh. Herding cats, indeed.

The Question

Eternal
Eggs Mayonnaise said:
Whites were the ones who kidnapped and enslaved a whole race to begin with.

Actually, Eggs, that's inaccurate. Slavery had been customary in Africa when whites showed up on the scene -- nobody was kidnapped. They were sold to whites, by their black owners.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
So that absolves us from partaking in it?

I may fudge details, but you don't seem willing to acknowledge the universal truths.

Tyrant

Whites were the ones who kidnapped and enslaved a whole race to begin with.
Oh God, gag reflex.

The Question

Eternal
Eggs Mayonnaise said:
So that absolves us from partaking in it?

Did you partake in it, Eggs? I couldn't make it to that little event on account of not existing yet.

I may fudge details, but you don't seem willing to acknowledge the universal truths.

I'm certainly willing to acknowledge universal truths... where universal truths are to be found. The thing about universal truth is that it first has to be the truth. That means it has to be objective and it has to be based in absolute fact. And it is an absolute fact that nothing worse was done to slaves in America than was already being done to slaves in Africa. The end result, in fact, has been considerably better for them than they would have had on their native continent.

You may not like that fact -- fortunately, you don't have to like it.