Racism on this board.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
It's a hobby. Nothing more.

Kerb Crawler

Closed Fist of the Badlands
I have decided that discussions of M&M racism based on color, or cholocate consistency (read: Milk or Dark) is naught but pointless rhetoric.

However, Star-bellied Sneetches are CLEARLY superior to the starless Sneetches.

When the Star-bellied children went out to play ball,
could the Plain-bellies join in their game? Not at all!
You could only play ball if your bellies had stars,
and the Plain-bellied children had none upon thars.

sneetch.gif

The Question

Eternal
Sardonica said:
Unfortunately, it seems that severa of the self-proclaimed "intelligent" folks are also some of the board's more obvious racists...

But should that cast doubt on their intelligence, or cast doubt on the assumption that all racism is automatically unintelligent? The PC answer is obvious, of course -- but I want to see if you know better. :)

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I had a bad day, and Menty's comment is very grounding for me. If I'm calling you anything other than a hater, forgive me TQ. I don't think of you as a bigot. It's sort of like listening to kids describe their passion for Led Zeppelin in a way. They missed it, but there's a record of it, so based on that disc or discs, they develop a rhetoric about it. That's all.

You couldn't possibly have a clue what really happened, because you didnt experience any of it directly.

Sendell

I'm not wearing any panties!!
Mentalist said:
You know, I don't care about PC values. I will joke about anything you can think of in your tiny little minds. Blacks, whites, asians, midgets, disabled people you name it it's fair game by me..

But there is an ugly racist streak through quite a few members here where it moves well away from simple jest.

Intelligent folks must be able to see that painting broad strokes over an entire race is fucking dumb.

Spouting this racist junk shows nothing but how blinkered some of you are. I don't frankly give a fuck about all the statistisc that are dredged up as some sort of validation for hate mongering. People are people and should be valued in their worth as individuals not as a member of a colour.

Yeah free speech, harp on all you want, but it's not funny nor clever and frankly it disgusts me.

Wholly true and accurate.

C

Cloudy

Laker_Girl said:
Seeing as how you travel the board just to find and neg my posts I'm going to correctly point out that the poster you're referring to is me.

Believe what you wish, I wouldn't even think of trying to change your mind, for eventually you'll whip yourself up into a frenzy trying to get me to change my ways. I find that a bountiful source of entertainment because as they say, if you only knew.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, I just agreed with what menty said.

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
BlazerBoy said:
Number_6, and whoever else is looking to actually discuss, and not troll, I have some open ended questions for you. I want you to give me your honest feelings on the issues below, because I get the sense we might actually agree on a lot of them.

1. African American Reparations and
2. Affirmative Action

I'm not looking to incite a riot, I just want some honest thoughts from people on this.

1. Ridiculous
2. Pointless.

There was a time when affirmative action was necessary but that time has long since passed. And remember, I'm speaking as a woman, women too benefitted from affirmative action.

As for reparations, please, my ancestors picked cotton in the fields right along with the slaves and were treated no better.

WordInterrupted

Troll Kingdom Ambassador
I agree completely with Mentalist. TQ, for example, denies the holocaust, rants about a Jewish conspiracy, and worries about maintaining "racial purity." Part of the responsibility of free speech is calling people on their racist nonsense.

BlazerBoy

I see racism in a general decline, even around here locally. The paranoia and fear I see characterized by a vocal minority isn't at all apparant from my doorstep, or my little world, but I live on a University Campus, perhaps the most liberal enviornment available for rent. The only hope I see is for the younger generations to grow up free from the scars of the country's past. My mother used to get upset with me and my "kind" because we "trivialized" and tried to make the enitre sordid history of race relations in this country as some paragraph in a history book, but in my idealism, thats the best way to go. I don't want to be like my parents, or the parents of my minority friends who often speak of the intense anger, fear, and hatred that characterized their childhood. I didn't grow up in that enviornment, nor do I see it pervading this country now, so why should I inherit such a negative disposition from them for it? My friends and I didn't enslave anyone. We don't limit anyones chances of "making it", nor do we generally discriminate against anyone who doesn't look like or have sex with the races and genders we do. I am proudly youthfully arrogant into believing that we are a better generation than our predecessors, and firmly beleive its a cycle that should continue. Our children will be even more progressive, more color blind and cohesive then we are.

Sargeras

All I see are false dichotomies of either seeing past color, or utterly hating a person because of their race. I'm not a violent person, and I wouldn't assist in anyone's lynching or anything, but shouldn't I be able to live in a neightborhood with people who look like me? If I happen to have a preference for people like me and not necessarily an aversion for people who aren't, then I am a hate monger?

BlazerBoy

I wouldn't call you an overt racist for making such a choice if you did. I think its natural on some level for us to feel a connection to those just like us, but there is also something to be said of how in a group of very young children, there seems to be absolutely no inclination to segregate on a playground. I've observed this and often wondered what it is exactly that changes in all of us.

Sargeras

BlazerBoy said:
I wouldn't call you an overt racist for making such a choice if you did. I think its natural on some level for us to feel a connection to those just like us, but there is also something to be said of how in a group of very young children, there seems to be absolutely no inclination to segregate on a playground. I've observed this and often wondered what it is exactly that changes in all of us.
I had all sorts of friends on the playground who weren't white with whom I played with because whites were a minority already in my school. I can't say whether or not I would have gravitated towards more whites if they were present.

The Question

Eternal
Sardonica said:
Intelligence and racism are, unfortuantely, not mutually exclusive.

Good answer.

Screw you, you arrogant, self-involved racist. :bigass: I'm smarter than you are. ;)

ROFL!!! Ohhhh, man, that's a good one!

The Question

Eternal
WordInterrupted said:
TQ, for example, denies the holocaust,

Wrong. TQ denies that the holocaust is the only plausibility.

...rants about a Jewish conspiracy

I do? Where?

and worries about maintaining "racial purity."

Really! I missed that one, where did I do that?

Sargeras

Who here would slightly prefer their sons or daughters marrying a person of the same race as the family?

BitchSlapSmitty

Sargeras said:
Who here would slightly prefer their sons or daughters marrying a person of the same race as the family?

Me!

BlazerBoy

I'll be completely honest and say I've never given it thought. My first inclination is to say I'll be 100% satisfied with whoever they bring home to meet me and their mother, as long as they are a decent person.

The Question

Eternal
Sardonica said:
I'd kicked your ASS at Jeopardy, smash a Trivial Pursuit board over your head, run circles around you on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire, and, well, You versus Me on The Biggest Brain would leave you more cremated than all the Jews in Auschwitz.

Whoa... see, at first I thought you were being funny on purpose. Now, I'm not so sure about the 'on purpose' part... :sarek: See, the volume of information someone has stored is not as important in evaluating intelligence as how they process that information. But, gosh, I thought you were smart enough to know that...

BitchSlapSmitty

BlazerBoy said:
I'll be completely honest and say I've never given it thought. My first inclination is to say I'll be 100% satisfied with whoever they bring home to meet me and their mother, as long as they are a decent person.

It's not like we really have a choice in the matter. It's their decision, all you can do is offer advice and your take and then hope for the best.

Sargeras

BlazerBoy said:
There are many people who don't consider themselves racists, as that term is now synonymous with a person who is hateful and spiteful, who see their race as being intertwined with their culture. Or it might be an aesthetic preference.

People who don't want their respective cultures and race to become something maleable and interchangeable shouldn't try to go against the grain and force themselves to be color-blind, if they aren't.

Getting off my tangent, I'll respond by saying that there are people out there who have a preference to their own race, and there are people who have an aversion towards others or a combination of both.

I have to sit through dull, white-bashing classes in college designed to make me PC and docile. It sure as hell doesn't help make me color-blind when I have to hear that whites are so exclusive when it comes to societal relationships, and that Chinese are angelic (their racism, 100 times that of whites, is conveniently overlooked).

In conclusion . . . I have too much to say at once :p