Red Dwarf X

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Balls, I've forgotten it again.

Last week's was good. I liked that they incorporated Jesus's supposed visit to India and it was pretty funny. Though once you got to the end it left you thinking "oh, so it was The Life of Brian, then?"

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
This week's kind of reminded me of a series 1 or 2 episode with no guest stars or sci-fi angle (apart from the whole premise of the show of course.) Some of it was funny, some felt forced like the Kryten/Lister "you'll find a new species!" chat at the start that didn't work for me. Also have they made Lister thicker? I never really thought of him as thick before, just lazy. I did find the Cat's charades bit funny because of the stupid guesses (Rimmer kept saying "an evil worm" or something.)

YEAH, anyway, next week's the last one EVER probably!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Death worm.

And if Lister is so depressed about the rest of the human race dying, why didn't he show more of a reaction when that woman died last week, potentially she was the only real live woman in the universe.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Finding holes in the plot of Red Dwarf is a little like discovering their are holes in a teabag.

CaptainWacky

Some BEHIND THE SCENES info from SFX apparently

BEHIND-THE-SCENES The whole vending machine subplot was a very late addition, and indeed wasn’t even filmed before a live studio audience, but recorded later and edited in. Some scenes were filmed even later than that, in a third reshoot that took place after the sets had been taken down. The whole Subuteo scene and following conversation, for example, were filmed in front of a green screen, though it’s near impossible to spot unless you know. The laughter track for all these scenes is “real” though – the extra footage was shown to a specially-invited audience.

THE FINAL SCENE… Doug Naylor considered softening the final line, substituting “trollop” for “slag” but was convinced the word was justified when he saw the live audience reaction to the line. They laughed. A lot.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
They're playing very fast and loose with all the "last human in existence" stuff, which makes it all the more difficult for me to take on board as a legitimate part of the series. Taking it all far too seriously? Maybe, but it's not done much to convince me I should be laughing, either.

I do think its worth soldiering on and doing more though. There have been a couple of good episodes, so it's not a lost cause.

CaptainWacky

I really didn't get the thing with Kryten trying to bribe the medicomputer with toilet paper. Or was he getting rid of the toilet paper so that more of "the budget" would go on the medicomputer? In which case...WHAT BUDGET?

CaptainWacky

I THOUGHT THE FINAL EPISODE WAS GOOD.

I liked that it ended (well apart from the post credits bit) with Rimmer saying "the slime's coming home." Look how Voyager was bookended with "set a course...for home." Of course since this series seems to have been a success there will probably be another.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I liked the first two, but barely laughed after that.

The only thing tonight that really made me laugh was the young Rimmer insulting the glasses girl, and that didnt feature any of the main cast.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
The main thing that made me laugh was when my dad came in during one of the special effectsy bits and said "oh, you're watching Star Wars". Just goes to show how much of the budget they saved up for this episode.

Other than that it wasn't a bad episode, but there were some scenes that went on too long. I loved the gag with the guy committing ritual suicide, but they ruined it by having him go on to basically explain the joke to us. I couldn't figure out if that was to help slow viewers, or to pad out the episode.

I hope there will be more, as while this wouldn't be a disappointing place to end in terms of quality, it wouldn't be an end story wise at all.

CaptainWacky

Yeah I thought the same thing about the suicide joke...it was like something new Simpsons does (drag a joke on and on to fill time.)