Star Trek Picard season 3

MODMAN

I haven't paid for Trek since the late 90s (actually not true - '09 and Into Darkness at the movies; skipped Nemesis and Beyond).

As for Section 31 and Starfleet Academy.... thank you, but hell no.

Even contemplating a Section 31 show misunderstands the concept, well - of Trek for starters - but of why Section 31 was introduced in DS9 the first place.

As for Starfleet Academy... something along these lines?

The Question

Eternal
^^Most likely just like that, yeah. Except that every character will consist, entirely and exclusively, of their made-up gender and/or race, and not one particle of characterization beyond whatever "special" (and, certainly, "oppressed") demographic checkbox they tick.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I think a TNG Golden Girls show would be just divine!

They all move to a Federation retirement colony on Bajor, and do occasional diplomatic duties on DS9.

They also talk constantly about how their boobs will never firm up again. Especially the men.

Shatner guest stars are Kirk's son or something.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
You just know there's more unclaimed Kirk children all over the quadrant... that rascal.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Perhaps Lursa and B'etor had Dr. Soran snatch some DNA from him before (choose your GEN ending).

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Premieres Feb. 16th.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Hopefully the new enterprise crew is surprisingly competent, and tells Picard to wind his neck in.

CaptainWacky

Hopefully the show is good this season, somehow.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
This season will surely be about nostalgia and the novelty of all of them reuniting.

That's what I'll enjoy about it, and I'll shut my brain off about the rest. I have no expectations for a coherent plot since that has been absent from the first 2 seasons.

MODMAN

Last season hurt and put my inner Trekkie on life support.

PREDICTIONS:

Episodes 1 and 2:
Amazing! TrekBBS members will be screaming 10/10 in Nero "FIRE EVEYTHING!" face. Memberberry overload will leave many catatonic; even the more discerning fan will be unable to help basking in the intoxicating memberberry glow.

Episodes 3 and 4: Still riding the momentum from the first two episodes. Still good in the eyes of many - memberberries aplenty. But, maybe not quite living up to the potential of the first couple of episodes. The foot has come off the accelerator. A few questionable moments, perhaps.

Episodes 5 - 7: This is where the wheels normally come off. Some will argue "wait till the season is finished!". Mid-season malaise has been the weak point of every NuTrek season (live action), at least until the ham-fisted finale. Now, if this doesn't happen - awesome. But after S2, I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. Prove me wrong, Matalas.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think this season will be like an old sick dog you know should have been put down, but you can't bring yourself to do it because of all the good times you had with it in the past.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
The nostalgia nods will be cute, and I do like the idea of having Amanda Plummer as the big bad; it feels right, but for the rest... I just don't have much faith. I was severely let down with the first two seasons. Both series started off with interesting premises and then continually kept veering off into muddled and lazily constructed segues of convoluted plot threads that just amounted to pure nonsense by the end.

I honestly do not believe that the people making the show understand what makes Star Trek so good. It's similar to how the Star Wars sequels were handled, and then we got great shows like Mandalorian and, more recently, Andor from people who really had a proper connection to and love for the source material. I don't think that will be happening with Trek though

CaptainWacky

I agree in general about (some of) the people running current Star Trek not really understanding it, but Tony Gilroy who did Andor wasn't really a Star Wars fan at all and had no great love the source material (which doesn't mean he didn't respect it.)

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I agree in general about (some of) the people running current Star Trek not really understanding it, but Tony Gilroy who did Andor wasn't really a Star Wars fan at all and had no great love the source material (which doesn't mean he didn't respect it.)
I haven't finished Andor yet (typical, I know), and I will be posting my thoughts fully when I do, but this does make sense. You do get the sense that this is a tightly written piece that has Star Wars as a backdrop. It's telling a specific story within the universe without trying to define it (I don't know, I'm not explaining it well), but something like Picard tries something similar and contemporary but doesn't work at all.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Andor is the story of ordinary men and women who's jobs just happen to be in star wars. Picard is never the story of a normal man when the summary of the first episode is rich vineyard oligark feels sad because the people he tried to rescue from an exploding star aren't greatful and his robot friend has secret twin daughters one of who lives on a Borg cube, you know, relatable stuff.

CaptainWacky

And now he's a robot but they never mention it.