Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

It's amazing that Discovery and Picard were trying to be all "dark" and "adult" for years (remember when Tilly said "fuck" me neither) and sucking and SNW is just straight-up doing classic goofy fun Star Trek.

Last edited:

SAUSAGEMAN

It's amazing that Discovery and Picard were trying to be all "dark" and "adult" for years (remember when Tilly said "fuck" me neither) and sucking and SNW is just straight-up doing classic goofy fun Star Trek.

On a whim today i told myself "hey why don't i watch the Pike episodes of Disco, I haven't seen them" and in the very first ep, there's a redshirt who the show very ostentatiously kills for the crime of "disagreeing with Michael", and man, that's grim.

MODMAN

The only plus side of this episode - no Joe Piscapo.

Fucking Space Pirates. Christ this was a bag of dumb.

MODMAN

I knew SNW would have a lighter tone. Honestly, it's a little too light for my tastes, to the point I feel no sense of danger or jeopardy. If it's all a lark to the characters, why should I care?

Kinda wish Discovery had got it right. There was potential for compelling drama there. Seems as though they've overcorrected.

CaptainWacky

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Episode 4

Another good episode that I had a few issues with by the end but none of them were big enough to outweigh the stuff I really liked. I will always be hyper-critical when it comes to Star Trek and nitpick way more than I would in other shows and there is quite a bit to nitpick in Strange New Worlds, but overall it's been very good.

Some serious Balance of Terror and Wrath of Khan vibes going on with this one which obviously takes from WW2 submarine warfare films as well. I enjoy big pew-pew fights like Sacrifice of Angels, etc but these slower methodical starship battles are great. I was getting some big Das Boot reminders (one of my favourite films of all time) as well when they were descending into the Brown Dwarf.

Good to see the Gorn (even if we don't actually see them) a species that is largely ignored in Trek after TOS (probably because of the negative "hokey" connotation they have) so it was good for them to feel like a real threat here and obviously playing into La'an's backstory as well.

All the cat and mouse stuff was done really well and did the inspirations it was obviously riffing from justice.

The show does seem to lean pretty heavily into a main character's personal trauma story every episode and the mind meld to get the solution to how to fight back seemed like it had no build-up at all for something that is a pretty big deal to perform but, OK. Not a massive issue.

The other minor issue I had was that the Enterprise felt kind of empty. There is hardly any background crew shown at all after the start of the episode and it felt weirdly off. Again, this is a nitpick and not a big deal but I noticed it.

Everything else was good. The production is slick, the acting is good from everyone and the CG space stuff looks great. Another winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm told the Das Boot U-Boat is the sub they used for "Raiders of the Lost Ark." IIRC, they needed the money to finish the film so they leased it to Lucas and Spielberg and got it back in such bad shape that it almost sunk before they finished filming.

CaptainWacky

Episode 8 - Very fun episode. The cast were obviously having fun hamming it up and I laughed a few times! Nice to see Hemmer having fun. I'm pleased they resolved the transporter daughter story as it wouldn't make sense as something that continues for multiple seasons. I did think maybe they could have cut down the fantasy plot a bit and given a bit more time to the M'Benga/daughter scene as that was the real meat of the episode. But that part was very sad and M'Benga's acting was good and maybe he can visit his weird adultchildcloud daughter sometime.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I think M'Benga's daughter's story was very sweet. I was hoping they'd cure her, and she'd get out of the buffer, but getting to live in a nebula with Debra is pretty cool.

Spock being a moody magician cracked me up. Uhura being the evil queen was a great choice.

CaptainWacky

THINKING ABOUT IT MORE, I do feel they should have introduced "Debra" earlier in the episode and the whole thing should have been about M'Benga deciding to let his daughter go, with the fantasy story playing out in a way that helped him make his choice (I know he said something about the sentient crystal at the end but that was only in that one scene.) Because as it played out he seemed to make the decision really fast and what if Debra had been a paedo or something?

Also more of this:

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Today i read that Benny Russell wrote the book M'Benga has been reading to his daughter!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I wonder if they will ever venture into the mirror universe. Those are usually not my favorites, but sometimes they are fun.

SAUSAGEMAN

I kinda hope not? The show's showing it's not afraid to do wacky, mirror universe-esque stuff. And that's great! But doing actual mirror universe stuff would probably need it to engage with a bunch of kinda tedious Disco continuity and I'd like it to avoid that.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I can see letting his daughter live in the cloud, but why would he not to with her?

He's not needed that badly on the ship, there's only about twenty people on the whole thing.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member