Star Wars: Andor

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Andor is the first piece of Star Wars media that's science fiction.
Absolutely. Considering it doesn’t have lightsabers, Vader, or many other obvious hallmarks of Star Wars to rely on, it does often feel like you’re watching a great scifi show in an original universe, and well done to them for it.

It’s also amazing how lived in and real the world feels compared to Kenobi, which I presume would’ve had a similar if not higher budget (unless they spent everything on Evan McGregor).

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Andor spent much longer in production than Kenobi, which seems to have just been a "we need some new product to keep people on Disney+, lets recycle this movie script into a tv show and film it all on The Volume, they'll eat it up anyway, HAHAHAHAHAHA" but probably without the evil laugh.

SAUSAGEMAN

Absolutely. Considering it doesn’t have lightsabers, Vader, or many other obvious hallmarks of Star Wars to rely on, it does often feel like you’re watching a great scifi show in an original universe, and well done to them for it.

It’s also amazing how lived in and real the world feels compared to Kenobi, which I presume would’ve had a similar if not higher budget (unless they spent everything on Evan McGregor).
I think they might make Luthen Rael a Jedi (Dooku had an apprentice named Rael) but yeah, so far it's really impressive how little they lean on Star Wars mythology. Like sure, the milk is blue but it doesn't matter. There's a young empire, it's just in the process of transitioning from a previous form of government, and it's overextended. let's go.

SAUSAGEMAN

tee7zC3.png

CaptainWacky

whisky

Boobie inspector
The black guy always dies first trope is still strong.

I was so sure the lady they left looking after the hostages would kill them all for what the imperials did to her family.

CaptainWacky

I hope they don't kill philosopher kid next week because he rules.
He's not really gone as long as someone reads his manifesto.

Great episode. So tense all the way through then kicks into high gear with the reveal of The Eye and it was beautiful. The scene of the TIE fighter pilots getting ready to dispatch with the Eye reflected in their cockpits? That was good! This is like the third time Andor's shot someone in cold blood but each time you can understand why he did it, while it's also unexpected and Diego Luna plays it like "what have I just done?"

Is there a plan for Cinta's escape or is she just going to sneak out in uniform?

whisky

Boobie inspector
This kind of feels like the first star wars that was written for adults.

So many mixed messages, one minute the empire is literally pissing on ancient temples, the next our bad guy is pleading for the life of an innocent child to our heroes, and killed for his efforts.

Rebels, empire, they are all just people trying to do their jobs, while people above them make all the important decisions.

Luke, Han, Leia, they all get the glory, but how many ordinary people got them into the positions they needed to be in?

I feel I have been hard on the show, for so much build up, and little pay off, but when it pays off, boy does it!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Aww, that was sad. Why couldn't manifesto guy live?

This episode would have looked great on a big screen.

MODMAN

Shit, I need to remember to watch this. Been loving HOT D, hate-watching RoP and yesterday just started catching up on the latest season of The Handmaid's Tale.

Seen the first two episodes. Was surprised how un-Star Wars-y it felt (one scene implied copulation between two adults!).

With ever episode of this show getting better and better it just makes me mad about how low effort Obi-Wan was FUCKING HELL WHY DID IT LOOK LIKE SHIT THIS SHOW LOOKS SO FUCKING GOOD

Nice. That's encouraging. I liked the first two episodes but wasn't knocked out of my chair.

CaptainWacky

Luke, Han, Leia, they all get the glory, but how many ordinary people got them into the positions they needed to be in?

One of the better things Rogue One did was in the scene where is slaughtering people they're all the no name rebel grunt guys in hats who you never really thought about before, but because they're dying so painfully while literally delivering the Death Star plans to one of the main characters in the original movie you realise "shit a lot of rebels must have died like this."

whisky

Boobie inspector
Of all the things I was expecting, a Miami vice opening credits homage wasn't one of them.

SAUSAGEMAN

space florida was so cool and depressing!!!

i was screaming at caspian to tell his mom that aldani was him......

mon mothma starting to take bigger risks because she feels ashamed of not doing as much as luthen, her journey to radicalisation being basically "i'm playing tough because i was goaded into it". i love everything about her plot i just need sheev to show up at a dinner party

the little pods that the imperial bureaucrats work out of!!! reminiscent of the senate's set-up, and a way of showing us visually "the power has shifted from the senate to this boring bureaucratic machine", incredible we don't deserve a show that good.

diego luna, hello.