Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Watched star trek into Darkness again tonight, I noticed a young black lady looking up as the Vengeance crashed down into san fransico, and wondered if it was the same one who was on not coroscant when it blew up?

JJ is fond of using the same actors in a lot of projects.

There were a lot of huge plot holes in this film, not the least of which was the physical impossibility of a planet sucking a sun dry of energy while still maintaining enough distance to allow the inhabitants of said deathstar planet a livable atmosphere. Even at lightspeed, the story should have been, "Hey, we're gonna drain this star of energy and blow up Coruscant. Should take about a decade or so. Talk amongst yourselves." And speaking of which, how come Leia weeps and goes wobbly when Han dies, but literally the deaths of Billions of people, many of her military and political friends among them, doesn't even make her blink? This is the second freaking time Leia has watched a planetful of her loved ones die? Is no one worried about her mental state?

It doesn't have to drain the entire star to make star go out, just enough material so that it can no longer maintain its fusion reaction, besides at the end of the film it looks like the planet becomes a new star anyway.

We don't really know how much of a connection with the force Liea has, she feels Han's death because she has been close to him for 30 years, the other people she might not have a good a connection with.

As for the whole Jedi thing: I suppose I can suspend disbelief that a novice Jedi, no matter how strong, suddenly knows tricks it took even Luke and Anakin YEARS to master, and I can even believe she can whip the Edward Scissorhands cosplayer via dumb luck and the fact he's a whiny little bitch like his uncle...but I gotta call bullshit on the storm trooper trash man holding his own against "the leader of the knights of Marilyn Manson Fanclub". That lightsaber fight should have lasted about three seconds and ended with a severed limb.

Rey appears to gain more powers every time Kylo tries to probe her, to me it looked like she was reading his mind each time, gaining what she needed to know from his knowledge, Kylo had already been shot by Chewbaccas gun, and was bleeding heavily when he engaged Finn, he was not exactly at his best.

And what fucking meathead thought it was a good idea for sustained evil to literally do the exact same plan that has failed catastrophically not once but twice? "Hey, these rebels are horrible pilots and not particularly well organized, we should gather ALL our military might into one giant, easily destroyable planet death ball. Kinda give them a fighting chance. What could go wrong...again?"

To be fair each time they think they have the problem sorted, death star two had a shield, but the shield was generated on a different planet, this time the shield was on the same planet, only Han is stupid enough to pull a stunt like he did dropping out of hyperspace at tree level.

Watched star trek into Darkness again tonight, I noticed a young black lady looking up as the Vengeance crashed down into san fransico, and wondered if it was the same one who was on not coroscant when it blew up?

JJ is fond of using the same actors in a lot of projects.

I noticed the similarity here too, but the woman in Trek was an actress from Spartacus, while the one in Wars is played by a different actress and iirc from what I read, she's a friend or colleague of Leia's from the galactic senate.

BTW, don't know how true this is, but there was a rumour that an earlier draft of the film there was no Jakku, and the film started on a devastated endor, and Rey was supposed to swim down to a large piece of the death star that had landed in an ocean, then get trapped in the emperor's throne room, where she would have to be rescued by the falcon going underwater.

I can only imagine the shitstorm that would have caused.

On a side note:

The Voice Of Boba Fett In 'Star Wars,' Jason Wingreen, Dies At 95

I had no idea he was the voice of Boba Fett in ESB, but I watched him for years as Harry on All in the Family and Archie Bunker's Place.

Wingreen reportedly first auditioned to play Yoda, missing out but later getting the part of everyone's favorite bounty hunter. According to the actor, the part, four lines in total, required about 10 minutes of work and he received no credit. It didn't even become publicly known he was Fett's voice until 2000, reports THR.

According to Entertainment Weekly, the actor said he was living a "quiet, peaceful, unencumbered life" until news came out about the role. After that, "the letters just never stopped.”

(He was also Dr. Linke in the TOS episode "The Empath")

^He's no good to me dead.

Maybe JJ has a weird fetish for black women watching death come from above.

They filmed a scene where Leia talks to the black girl (Maisie Richardson-Sellers is the actress, not Freema Agyeman as I racistly state) about the Republic. This would have put the destruction of the planets into context in the movie and would have made the scene a lot better for me, but I guess they didn't want a scene of two people talking to each oher. Or they wanted Leia's first appearance to be when Han saw her for the first time.

I don't care about Star Wars being scientifically accurate (I mean it's Star Wars) but if someonthing's really dumb it does take me out of the movie and Finn (and the others? I can't remember) being able to see planets in another star system being destroyed was really really dumb. But also confusing because it made me think "wait, are they supposed to be in the same system or what?" (Of course if they had been in the same system they still wouldn't have been able to watch the planets be destroyed in real time but never mind that.) There's so many other ways they could have done that scene better.

As you get towards the core of a galaxy, stars, and by definition the planets that orbit them, get a lot closer to each other, than our own solar system which is close to the edge of our own galaxy, with five light years to the nearest star.

We see Mars, Venus, and Jupiter in the sky every day, as the biggest stars we see, admittedly Mars is pretty much just a big dot, but if it exploded we would probably be able to see it, especially if there was a big red line pointing to it first.

If you don't like my idea of star wars systems being close to each other, remember, the falcon got from Hoth to Bespin without a hyperdrive, so its not like there isn't precedence for this sort of thing.

Bespin and Hoth are literally right next to each other, though. Takodana and Hosnian Prime... not so much.

13228.imgcache.jpg

I was really confused by the scale of the movie. Leia has only 20 X-Wings (??) and she attacks the super deathstar with them but the First Order can't just like deploy 300 TIE Fighters immediately and swat them?

I assumed all those planets were in the same system, were only a few light minutes away from the resistance planet and that there was a bit of artistic license used to show their destruction and reactions to it at the same time. Didn't realise they were in different systems.

Just checking that you are saying this map done by someone very low down in company that lucasfilm outsources too outranks what we saw in the actual movie?

That map comes from the new Visual Dictionary which was recently released. That visual dictionary was written by and vetted by the members of the Story Group, including people like Pablo Hidalgo. Their role is to maintain continuity between the various Star Wars properties - i.e., if they say something is official and canon, it is. Just like that map is.

Your crazy "well what if the planets were really close to each other and somehow people were able to see things happen in real time even though they happened light years away" theory - which comes entirely out of your own ass - gets trumped by that, sorry.

Regardless of what the official line is, from the way it was visually presented it would make a lot more sense if there was a single star and any reference to "systems" were in fact planetary systems, rather than solar systems.

So to use an example we're familiar with, it would mean Sol was the star that the Starkiller base drew on, while the systems it destroyed were the Jovian system, the Saturnian system and Neptunian system. With our heroes viewing from Earth.

I agree, it would make a lot more sense if that were the case, but it's not.

The film in general does a pretty bad job at establishing the geography of the galaxy.

So basically if they bring out a new version of the book next year and those two systems are super close everything is cool?

HEY HERE'S A THOUGHT: So we're all assuming that the Millennium Flacon being on Jakku with Rey is all just an amazing coincidence. But what if Luke was the one who stole the Falcon and brought Rey to Jakku on it? Then Simon Pegg demanded the Falcon as payment for looking after her. NOT SUCH A COINCIDENCE THEN.

(Of course Han listed the names of everyone who had stolen the Falcon but you could get around that probably.)

((But why would Luke leave Rey with Simon Pegg anyway rather than someone who isn't a dick?))