The Sandman - Netflix

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I just finished the first one. Looks like it's going to be very interesting. (I've never read the comics)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The comic is a lot like the movie "Gran Torino" only moreso: Things happen early in the storyline that come back years later and multiple readings actually improve the story because all of a sudden you'll notice some new bit of foreshadowing and be blown away by it. It's also a little like "The Watchmen" in that it is such a complex story that it is really hard to do it justice without having to cut a lot out.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Weird moment in episode 3 when I realise the flashback character is Astra from Legends of Tomrrow (a different version of her anyway.)

Bit disappointed how they toned Rachel's situation.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Loved the dragon egg bit with Cain and Abel in ep 2.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
*spoilers up to episode 5*

Up to ep 5 and it's definitely a mixed bag for me. Some stuff I really like, and other stuff hasn't worked. It pains me to say it but I wasn't feeling Johanna Constantine at all. The whole interaction with Dream seemed totally off to me and the whole way the church exorcism scene played out was a really odd choice. I guess they were trying to show how badass Constantine is but it just felt tonally off. No fault of the actors, just the pacing and writing seemed all over the place.

The hell episode had some cool visuals and I liked that they kept the Nada scene and we got to see Dream as she sees him. Dream is a colossal prick most of the time and Nada in hell has to be up there with his worst transgressions. "The Oldest Game" was executed alright. Shifting the participant from Chronozon to Lucifer makes sense. Still works much better in the comics, but ok.

David Thewlis as John Dee is really good. He's not portrayed as totally unhinged (but still enough) and the zombie-like look is gone which is understandable but he's a very compelling actor and his performance was great here.

I thought the diner episode was as disturbing as it had to be. It's probably the most straight horror issue of the entire run and that came across in the episode. Have no complaints at all about this one. Also, Desire in the final shot looked dope. I thought they looked really cool in the trailer (unlike some others like Despair) and that didn't change here. Also, I was waiting for *THAT* shot at the end so that was cool to see.

Onwards to The Sound of Her Wings which is obviously a pivotal point of the comic run and where a lot of people got hooked so hopefully they can nail it.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I just finished the first one. Looks like it's going to be very interesting. (I've never read the comics)
I watched the first two. It is very interesting, even though because of the heat and lack of sleep(late night playing Cornhole with friends), I kept dozing off during the episodes and had to keep rewinding it. I've never read the comics either.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
*spoilers ep 6*

Wow, OK, that was pretty damn great.

Really liked this one. I thought Kirby Howell-Baptiste was fantastic as Death and Tom Sturridge really started giving me comic vibes of Dream as well. It helps that this is very comic accurate and anyone that has read them knows how strong this issue is.

It is a relatively simple story though so for the second half we get another of my favourite Issues with Men of Good Fortune which introduces us to Hob Gadling. Again, this was basically done perfectly. Tom Sturridge in all the different getups through history is definitely a vibe. I really feel this is the episode he truly starts to inhabit the character. Hob Gadling himself was performed really well too by *googles* Ferdinand Kingsly.

Two really good episodes back-to-back so I'm feeling a lot better about the rest of the show now.

jack

I watched the first two. It is very interesting, even though because of the heat and lack of sleep(late night playing Cornhole with friends), I kept dozing off during the episodes and had to keep rewinding it. I've never read the comics either.
I own all the original comics, and have pulled out the issues to show my wife as the story is unwinding. They're doing a pretty good job transcribing the essences of the stories so far. I was a huge fan of the comic as it came out (thats when Vertigo essentially got started) and it is withstanding the test of time.

Usually these kinds of translations leave me cold, especially when the source material is so very rich. But Gaiman seems to be steering the ship well and influencing the production quite efficiently. Some of the visuals are copies of some of the comic panels. Grand fun.

Mirah

I love you
*spoilers up to episode 5*

I thought the diner episode was as disturbing as it had to be. It's probably the most straight horror issue of the entire run and that came across in the episode. Have no complaints at all about this one. Also, Desire in the final shot looked dope. I thought they looked really cool in the trailer (unlike some others like Despair) and that didn't change here. Also, I was waiting for *THAT* shot at the end so that was cool to see.

Indeed, indeed. This episode is
quite disgusting
*shutters*

MODMAN

Almost finished episode 2.

Really digging it. Just my sort of jam. Looks gorgeous in 4K, story is intriguing and I'm keen to know more.

Lord Morpheus - Aesthetics of the Endless.

Charles Dance stole every scene as always - I hope he's a decent father IRL!

Gregory!

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
"The Sound of Her Wings" is my first "Sandman" story. I was at a party at a friend's house. Not your stereotypical college party, an art student party. So it's winding down and we're chilling out and I saw the issue on a table and read it. Went out and got it ASAP and started collecting the back issues ASAP. It's kind of like introducing someone to "Dr. Who": you almost don't want to start them at the first story. "The Sound of Her Wings" will hook you far more than the beginning. And you're willing to forgive some of the clunkiness in the early issues because you know where it is going. (I think I actually saw the series at a comic shop earlier than "The Sound of Her Wings" but when I asked about it, the guy (it wasn't my regular comic shop) said "Oh, it's some limited series. I wouldn't bother with it.")

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I'm not reading any of the posts because I've only just seen the 3rd one last night.

I am confused about Constantine and Astra because they were in Legends of Tomorrow. Then i remembered this is from comics and maybe they're in the same comic universe. Then I think how can something so good be in the same universe as the fucking Flash. lol

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I'm not reading any of the posts because I've only just seen the 3rd one last night.

I am confused about Constantine and Astra because they were in Legends of Tomorrow. Then i remembered this is from comics and maybe they're in the same comic universe. Then I think how can something so good be in the same universe as the fucking Flash. lol
Yeah I'm not reading any posts until I'm finished. I just finished episode 8 last night.

jack

I'm still on ep 3, but I know the story so I don't mind reading the interpretations of the "spoilers". Just fantastic television in every sense.

Was interrupted by finally watching "Prey" on Hulu.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter

I can't give spoilers on the show and I don't think I'm giving away any significant spoilers from the comic book, but while "The Sandman" is technically in the DC universe, he deliberately keeps it as separate as he can. There are some old obscure DC supers that figure into the first 2 story arcs--Dr. Destiny, a Silver-age Sandman, and the Golden-age Sandman is compelled to create his persona in part because of Morpheus. Martian Manhunter has a brief cameo and then it isn't until the end of the series where we see Batman, Superman and...Martian Manhunter(?) in a shared dream that pokes fun at how their characters have been retconned at times during their publication history. (For example, in the '70s, Clark was a TV news anchorman for a bit before...Byrne(?) made him a reporter for the "Daily Planet" again.) Oh, and of course Dream's raven has ties to the classic "Swamp Thing" story.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It's definitely not set in the same universe as the CW's Fucking Flash lol, but yes the Jenna Coleman Constantine is another version of the comic John Constantine who was also adapted in his own tv series and later appeared in Legends. Astra is an important part of his backstory in the comics (though I have no idea what happened to her there.)

It is a bit weird how episode 3 has Astra and the other demon sent to Hell but then we don't see them in episode 4 (set in Hell.)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Oh, and Etrigan, The Demon has a cameo in the first arc. And Hob Gadling references having met his human alter ego, Jason Blood.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I just finished 4, and I was going to watch another one but I will be too sleepy. TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY.

Hell was pretty cool.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
10 episodes done. Good show, will probably be even better when I read the comics some day. Loved the big set up at the end for a kickass Season 2. Loved that Morpheus went from total asshole to somewhere between nice guy and loveable asshole.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Ep 5 was good and creepy! I thought the diner stuff went on a bit long, but then the way it ended I think it needed to.