Torchwood: Miracle Gay... er, Day

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah that's my excuse too. I'm glad Dr 11 doesn't use Geronimo ever.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
So they finally revealed what "The Blessing" is and... it's something nicked off an episode of Angel.

Good work, Rusty.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I totally didn't understand what the blessing was, so.. can you explain it? You can spoiler tag it, PLS PLS PLS...

ANYWAY, this was the first Torchwood episode that I actually enjoyed! Certain bits of it were eye rolly as ever, but I liked almost all of it!

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Well from what I gathered it was
A giant hole that goes right through the Earth. It also may or may not be alive?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OH, well I understood that, except for the alive part, but I just didn't know how it actually BLESSES anyone. Tom and Lorenzo over at TOM AND LORENZO called it a magic vagina.

I thought I'd spaced out on the explanation or something. Now it just doesn't make sense, AT LEAST IT ISN'T MY FAULT!

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Is this the same as:

The hole that goes thru the Earth in Angel? Could Winifred Burkle be lurking around the corner????

Yeah, I know...

whisky

Boobie inspector
Did they have Rex doing something stupid for ages then reveal the important plot bit in such a hurry you could miss it by sneezing?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
They should use this whole thing to bring Ianto back in the final episode.

whisky

Boobie inspector
So why isn't the hole through the earth full of lava?

Never have I been as un-frilled to see the last episode of a story arc coming up.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
OH you guys are caught up now, RIGHT? So how does the magic vagina actually bless anyone? IS THERE A MAGIC DONG?

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
My therapist loves Torchwood, but she's also underwhelmed with the series. (Yep, I talk about Torchwood, Dr. Who and True Blood with her. I've also convinced her to watch Game of Thrones).

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
OKAY, I watched it. It was a pretty good episode in that things actually happened and there were no slow parts (I still don't care about Gwen's dad but it played better in the episode than the previews.) Of course you've got to ask why it took until episode nine to have these important things happen. And why last week had a "IS JACK DEAD?" cliffhanger when they just skipped forward two months to avoid dealing with it. I liked the part where Oswald showed up at Gwen's becaue it was unexpected and he had some funny lines. Not really sure why he's on the run now when he was the most popular man in the world two months ago though...

The Blessing...yeah it looks a bit like a giant vagina or anus. What does it do? How are they going to explain the last nine weeks in just one episode and have it make sense? They aren't, are they?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I'm all caught up now too. I can't believe it's episode 9 and they're still saying stuff like "It's the Blessing!" "Yes, but we need to find out what it is!"

In Children of Earth the aliens remained mostly hidden and mysterious until the end, but that was fine because we at least understood their intentions and motivations very early on in the story. In Miracle Day we've just had a succession of what I would describe as 'accidental red herrings', where the writers kept introducing things that seemed really crucial only to get bored of them or move onto something else, not because they were being clever and wanted to keep us guessing, but because they only ever intended to reveal the bad guy at the end of the series, and couldn't find a more creative way to fill up two and a half months of episodes.

Anyway, having said that, I did enjoy the episode. It had the usual annoyances (casual reference to the bad guy FBI woman being a lesbo, RTD having a cameo at the beginning, Esther sounding like Sarah Fucking Palin), but Rex finally acted almost like a real agent and the rest of the main characters had quite interesting dialogue. It probably helped that most of the episode took place in Gwen's house rather than having everyone charging around or sitting at computers talking technobabble.

So the bad guy is a giant crack. Maybe RTD saw what Moffat was doing and thought he'd one up him.

Speaking of which, Torchwood now takes place in an alternate timeline to Dr Who, CLEARLY. Amy Pond is NOT going to go back to Earth some time and find out that all the old people in her village have been cremated alive.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Without giving to much away from the finale I can stay that it's your basic RTD "A lot of things happen fast and then when you stop to think about it you realize none of them make any sense" finale.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
This is the one time when I would be glad to see a reset button used. It's either that or assuming that the world being irrevocably changed by nobody dying for months on end, global recession and what's tantamount to a genocide in every city of the planet occurred in a different timeline from the cosy Dr Who world where an old lady can get sucked into a pile of rubbish bags, locked inside a dollhouse, turned into a doll, then wake up the next morning thinking she had a senior moment.

whisky

Boobie inspector
So nine episodes of heading to a finally that did more to set up the next series than conclude this one.

I guess now that Rex is like Jack now, if Barrowman ever decides not to do any more they can carry on with Rex in the same role.

American version had a few fucks in, the word, not the action, wonder if they will make the BBC version.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
All I can say about the finale is ARRGGGGGGHHHH!!!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
So, it's over. The finale wasn't horrible or anything, but did it actually make any sense? The Family talk vaguely about their big plan, but then they reveal that they didn't actually know what would happen when they put the blood into The Blessing and it turned out The Blessing caused the miracle "as a kindness" because it thought it was "under attack" (huh?) So if they didn't know what giving the blood to the Blessing would do, how could they have made a plan?

The early parts of the series had some interesting-ish discussions on what would happen when people stopped dying and some talk on the moral implications and everything...but that all ended when the doctor character died. All we've really seen are the death camps. And we didn't see any of the aftermath of the miracle in tonight's finale.

Of course it isn't even an ending to the story, as they're setting up a sequel with "plan b" and Rex being immortal for some reason. And Esther dies of course which was so fucking predictable that my cock fell off.

CIA Lesbian with the breasts was a bit dumb to go to the funeral when they were still looking for the mole. And to shoot Rex in front of loads of CIA guys. Breasts though.

I did like Oswlad's final scene. Great speech, well delivered. Almost made me pro raping little girls in Hell.