Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the Random Thread of Randomness stuff that doesn't belong in other threads thread?

I think what I actually said was I wanted to give Bill some grandkids. But my actual quote was erased when I was. Remember when the internet used to be a lot cooler? I do.

It's fun, watching A&E/History documentaries from a semi-sophisticated viewpoint. "Modern Marvels." "Accuracy." "Aiming." I dunno what they called the show, but it was an hour of how merely shooting projectiles isn't enough--they have to hit what you're shooting at. It was a neat episode. They covered firearms and artillery and even archery and circus-type things--knife throwing and acrobatics; pool. The billiards guy was amazing, because he showed how to run a table in 9-ball and then did exactly what he said he'd do. The guys working the trebuchet. I wasn't terribly impressed by the Army sniper team, struggling to hit targets with a Barrett Light Fifty at 400 yards in a 10mph wind, having had to qualify every year, hitting targets at 500 yards with an M-16 with iron sights as a US Marine, but I digress. The point is they had some really neat stuff on accuracy. The top male and female archer, hitting bullseye after bullseye on a 42 yard target that they had to estimate the distance on. Landing a probe on Mars.

And then there was Barry.* They brought out Barry to demonstrate the evolution of infantry arms. Fat. Balding. Wearing shorts. They stuck a Revolutionary War flintlock in his hands and let him shoot at a man-sized target 25 yards away, using a tree as a support. I forget if they started with a musket or went right to a rifle, but he hit about 5" low and left on the bullseye. So he explained "Kentucky Windage"--aiming 5" high and right so your bullet would hit the bullseye. He reloaded and applied this correction--and hit in almost exactly the same place. Then they gave him a Civil War era Springfield. They pointed out its advantages: The Minie Ball bullet, that was more accurate than a basic lead sphere, Actual adjustable sights, percussion fire, so you didn't have a flash of flint hitting steel to ignite a primer charge to fire the weapon. He took careful aim from his trusty tree...and missed by a solid 5". At 25 goddamned yards. OK. Fair enough. Let's give Barry a Russian Mosin-Nagant with an optical scope. Early 20th century. Bolt action cartridge rifle. Used by Soviet snipers for decades. Not state of the art to the 21st century but basically there. Ol' Barry braced up on his tree, took careful aim..and missed by a solid 5".

So now you're producing a show on accuracy and you just spent a day shooting a segment that shows that, even at point-blank range, there is no real advantage to a modern 20th century scoped rifle over an 18th century flintlock. So all you can do is go "yeah, Barry's a retard. You can have the best gear and still miss if your shooter doesn't know what he's doing."

*Not his real name. Or maybe it was, I didn't notice, but I needed a name.

If someone introduced me to the person who provides the data Google uses for its weather reports, I would kick them in the balls like a mule. Every fucking day now.

"Oh, hey, it's only going to get up to 85, 87 degrees. The temps should actually be on their way down by the time you get back from your walk."
[Gets back from walk and checks the temp: 92 degrees.] "I don't know what you're complaining about, that's what the daily high was going to be. See? Just look at the icon below." You know what? It's bad enough to be fucking wrong about the weather, but to be wrong and then go back and change the prediction so you're not wrong? Eat a bag of dicks, cuntface.

Living in a coastal city right near the ocean, I feel ya. The weather is so unpredicatble based on breezes or lack of them, hell even whether it's low or high tide. It's almost always a couple degrees cooler than it is further inland, but that's not a guarantee either. Forecasts are more like fanfics.

Heh. Then there's Hawai'i. I lived on Oahu for about 2 years and you really start to miss weather. Because you're fairly close to the Equator June days aren't that much longer than December days. Every day is 82 degrees and sunny with a short afternoon shower. It's really easy to lose track of time because every day is the same but it's also an incredibly tedious existence because you're stuck on a fucking island. You can't make a 3 hour roadtrip to a nearby city or go see some different sights because you're in the middle of the ocean. You can drive clockwise around the island or counterclockwise around the island. Or if you feel really crazy, you can drive across the island, but you wind up right back where you started. Add in a million tourists every single day and 8 hour traffic jams and it's purgatory. The other islands are nicer but there aren't as many jobs on them. The only thing that kept me sane was, the last few months I lived there, they started operating a ferry service to Maui on weekends. I'd take my motorcycle over there, get a hotel room and barrel around a much less crowded island for 36 hours before going back to the harbor for the trip back to Oahu. But the environmental protesters managed to kill the ferry service within a year of its first runs.

If someone introduced me to the person who provides the data Google uses for its weather reports, I would kick them in the balls like a mule. Every fucking day now.

"Oh, hey, it's only going to get up to 85, 87 degrees. The temps should actually be on their way down by the time you get back from your walk."
[Gets back from walk and checks the temp: 92 degrees.] "I don't know what you're complaining about, that's what the daily high was going to be. See? Just look at the icon below." You know what? It's bad enough to be fucking wrong about the weather, but to be wrong and then go back and change the prediction so you're not wrong? Eat a bag of dicks, cuntface.
Checking the weather as I get ready for bed. Still technically Tuesday. Now they're telling me the high today is only 88--after previously stealth-adjusting it up to 92. So, if I'm not being entirely clear, it was 92 degrees today. They didn't predict that. But they went back and changed it so it looked like they predicted it would get up to 92. Now they've changed it so they predicted it was only 88--even though it was clearly 92 and they'd already changed the prediction up to 92 instead of the mid-80s they initially forecast. Fuck kicking the fuckweasel in the balls, I want to beat him with a shovel until he stops moving. I feel like at least one juror will support me.

Blackberries are way less invasive in Kentucky than they are in Oregon. In Oregon you can chop them down and they'll be back the next year. Had a big thicket at the back of my current house and chopped it down in 2021. 3 years later I have about 5 stalks and only a couple of those have berries on them.

I've gotten good enough at solitaire that I can now tell from the opening if I've been fucked by the shuffle. It kind of sucks. Because now I start the game knowing I'm almost guaranteed to fail.