Where is the Random Thread of Randomness stuff that doesn't belong in other threads thread?

I just come back from Spain and no YouTube as is on longer than five seconds before it becomes skipable, so what is all the bullshit with 50 second unskipable ads here?

For every teenager who ever says "what will I even need math for?":

I have little hobby projects. One is building a "roundel" wall like the interior of the classic Dr. Who TARDIS of the 60s & 70s. And since I'm cheap, I want to build it as economically as possible.
The obvious, simple, way is to get a material like a sheet of styrofoam and cut holes in it in a honeycomb pattern and then put some kind of translucent inserts in the holes. But to do that, you wind up wasting more material than you use. My alternative is to cut a bunch of (essentially) "Y's" out of the styrofoam and then fasten them together at their ends so they form the circles. Then you stretch a sheet of 6mil plastic over the back, do some finish work to hide the seams and you've got a TARDIS wall pretty economically.

Right now I should be exercising but I'm fat and old and weak so I'm taking a rest break and tackling the problem of planning this project. First I opened a draw program and made 3 circles, nudged them around with x & y coordinates until they were in the right places and then stuck in the dividers to create my "Y" shapes. The problem then being that I don't have actual "Y" shapes; I can't copy/paste to lay a bunch of them out on the page unless I remember how to join points or "trace" over the thing. So screw it, keep it simple. Paper and pencil. 1"=1'. The roundels are 27" across, so I need 2.7" circles. Then I get my "Y" triangles and I just need to measure and duplicate them. My first problem came from not being able to find my compass. So I hunted up a selection of glasses and ramekins that looked about the right size and found one close enough. But I'm still no closer. I can measure the dimensions of the shapes. I can use Pythagorean theorem to extrapolate other measurements, but the curved edges screw that up (and the flattened ends, now that I think about it) so I've got to monkey with pi and circumference/arc calculations.

Or I can just draw a full sized template, cut out the shape I need and then draw that onto my styrofoam. I guess in the end, "what do I even need math for?".

I painted the TARDIS exterior door on the inside door of my shed so when you go outside the shed it's much bigger on the other side.
I finished my Shakespeare plays and couldn't settle on anything new to read during lunch so I'm rereading the "Hitchhiker's Guide..." books. This reminds me of the bit from..."So Long & Thanks for all the Fish"(?), where Wonko the Sane names his house "Outside the Asylum" and the exterior is decorated like an interior and the interior is decorated like an exterior and his position is the entire world is insane and the only sane people are in his house.

I'm a USMC officer. Or at least I was. Which means I'm kind of elite. Not a lot of people have done what I've done. But tonight Story Television had a thing on about the Navy SEALs and yeah, I already knew this but fuuuuck, there are people who are more elite than I can ever be. Just the one bit about "hell week" distills it down to the essence: "candidates can expect to get 4 hours of sleep over 6 days." I think that would literally fucking kill me. I don't know, maybe I could've withstood that at 20 or 30 but probably not in any capacity that allowed me to function. Shit, just demanding that I survive 6 days on 4 hours of sleep would likely kill me, piling on extreme physical and mental effort and discomfort, there's no way I'd make it. I'm grateful we have motherfuckers like that out there, watching out for us and I'm glad I don't have to do it myself.

"The Acolyte" really looks to be a turd that the MSM are determined to try cover for. Trying to find out how it is doing on viewership today and the only articles you can find are: 1) how fucking awesome and roxxor it's debut numbers where, almost coming close to the viewership for "Asokha." 2) How veddy, veddy teddible it is that the eeevil boors are review-bombing it on Rotten Tomatoes. Shit, with the dearth of actual information I decided to bop on over to RT and see some of the reviews myself. Well unless I'm doing something wrong, they've jiggered it so you can't actually see the reviews. You can see the aggregate numbers but you can't actually see what anyone is saying. And I gotta say, even a "fresh" rating from a critic is suspect these days. I've seen 'em get a "fresh" rating where the reviewer is like "Well, I made it all the way through without having to go to the bathroom and blow my fucking brains out."

I feel a bit bad about stuff that is ostensibly still good but is no longer needed. Case in point: There's a perfectly nice fake fireplace in my basement. Fiberglass or something like it. I suspect it used to be in the living room. I've held onto it for 3-4 years because it looks neat and there's nothing wrong with it, but really, it's taking up space and I have no use for it. I guess I could load it on a dolly, drag it up and put it by the road in case someone else wants it but I know what I should do is just bust it up and throw it in the trash. This post is because I'm running out of ways to procrastinate from doing that. :(

I watched the first two, never laughed once, never watched again, truth be told he lost me at the very first scene with a rant about who reads a book more than once.

Back