Where is the Random Thread of Randomness stuff that doesn't belong in other threads thread?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
On this day in 1982, "E.T. the Extraterrestrial" premiered. So if you had been 12 years old when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, you'd have been younger on that day than someone who was 12 years old seeing the premiere of "E.T." is today.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
On this day in 1982, "E.T. the Extraterrestrial" premiered. So if you had been 12 years old when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, you'd have been younger on that day than someone who was 12 years old seeing the premiere of "E.T." is today.
I was 8 years old when I saw the premiere of E.T. in the theater. The first movie I saw in a theater.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter

As I whine about my weak old organic body, this makes me wonder if Cyberman immortality is not far off. Apart from figuring out the data transfer, I would think the Internet has the capacity to hold a human's consciousness. In fact if word came out they'd already done it to Steve Jobs it wouldn't terribly surprise me. So then you take this robot. It's got to have various I/O devices--cameras to keep it from bumping into things, microphones and speakers, etc. It's got to have a computer to process data on its surroundings and maintain balance, etc. It almost certainly has WiFi. A 5G cell phone would not be difficult to integrate. So your consciousness is out in the Web and it links into one of these robots to get around and interact with the world. Heck, with this model you could just have robots on chargers wherever you needed them and instead of having to drive or fly somewhere, just log off one robot and log into a different one where you want to be. Instant transporter technology.

Obviously everyone isn't going to be able to get that--at least not in the lifetime of my imagination--but it would certainly be credible that your Steve Jobs' and Elon Musk's and Jeff Bezos' could achieve machine immortality within the next decade or two. Shit, I forgot all about Musk's Neuralink. Maybe that's the first step in being able to port your consciousness into a computer network.

This all makes me wonder if you could go the other way around then too--just temporarily load your consciousness into a computer/robot and then download the experiences into your meat machine. Or do backups, so if you die unexpectedly you can switch to your mechanical life from the most recent restore point. Then what happens to your backups when they're obsolete? They're essentially a version of you that branched off at a point. Is it ethical to just overwrite them? Huh. This was just going to be a quick post to get out of sweeping the floor but now it really got me thinking.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
As I whine about my weak old organic body, this makes me wonder if Cyberman immortality is not far off. Apart from figuring out the data transfer, I would think the Internet has the capacity to hold a human's consciousness. In fact if word came out they'd already done it to Steve Jobs it wouldn't terribly surprise me. So then you take this robot. It's got to have various I/O devices--cameras to keep it from bumping into things, microphones and speakers, etc. It's got to have a computer to process data on its surroundings and maintain balance, etc. It almost certainly has WiFi. A 5G cell phone would not be difficult to integrate. So your consciousness is out in the Web and it links into one of these robots to get around and interact with the world. Heck, with this model you could just have robots on chargers wherever you needed them and instead of having to drive or fly somewhere, just log off one robot and log into a different one where you want to be. Instant transporter technology.

Obviously everyone isn't going to be able to get that--at least not in the lifetime of my imagination--but it would certainly be credible that your Steve Jobs' and Elon Musk's and Jeff Bezos' could achieve machine immortality within the next decade or two. Shit, I forgot all about Musk's Neuralink. Maybe that's the first step in being able to port your consciousness into a computer network.

This all makes me wonder if you could go the other way around then too--just temporarily load your consciousness into a computer/robot and then download the experiences into your meat machine. Or do backups, so if you die unexpectedly you can switch to your mechanical life from the most recent restore point. Then what happens to your backups when they're obsolete? They're essentially a version of you that branched off at a point. Is it ethical to just overwrite them? Huh. This was just going to be a quick post to get out of sweeping the floor but now it really got me thinking.
While I get what you're saying there is no point of life unless there is the threat of death hanging over your head like the Sword of Damocles.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
While I get what you're saying there is no point of life unless there is the threat of death hanging over your head like the Sword of Damocles.
Again, I think I could play on "God Mode" for a very long time before I got sick of winning. The biggest limitation I see is the limits of technology. Sight and sound are probably pretty close but there are some real limitations to touch and smell. And forget about taste. How is a robot or a computer network going to enjoy a nice prime rib with a loaded baked potato and a dark beer? I could shoot for being able to turn myself into...holy shit, coming back to the video...a Real Life Optimus Prime. I wouldn't even need to have an organic penis to have an orgasm from changing from a 15' tall robot--with the classic voice--into a vintage Peterbuilt cabover (with the WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA" sound) while saying "AUTOBOTS...Roll out!"

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Again, I think I could play on "God Mode" for a very long time before I got sick of winning. The biggest limitation I see is the limits of technology. Sight and sound are probably pretty close but there are some real limitations to touch and smell. And forget about taste. How is a robot or a computer network going to enjoy a nice prime rib with a loaded baked potato and a dark beer? I could shoot for being able to turn myself into...holy shit, coming back to the video...a Real Life Optimus Prime. I wouldn't even need to have an organic penis to have an orgasm from changing from a 15' tall robot--with the classic voice--into a vintage Peterbuilt cabover (with the WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA" sound) while saying "AUTOBOTS...Roll out!"

Flavor sensors? We built a fictional six million dollar man. We have the fictional technology.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I demand a 6 million dollar man reboot. But I'm torn between if you stay true and update it or you say "Steve Austin, astronaut, a man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him; we have the technology. But we've also only got 6 million dollars in the budget, so we're going to have to cut some corners. ..."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
IWSMT has pointed out you can't spell "priDE MONth" without "DEMON."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
If you can't pick up a girl at a bar by telling her you've build a screen accurate replica of the basement from "Silence of the Lambs," tell her the main floor is the apartment from "American Psycho."

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
As always, I'm on Cavil's side.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm pretty sure "People of Wal*Mart" is dead, but I'm compelled to click it every night to see if they've updated it since September.