Where is the Random Thread of Randomness stuff that doesn't belong in other threads thread?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
When they threw Epstein in jail, did they do something with his Rape Island? Or did that get overlooked? Is there an island of feral skanks out there now, just waiting to be discovered? The History Channel should do a show on it.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Dogs are absolutely crap at planning and decision making. We're at the front of an extended heatwave and she elects to cut her morning patrol, when it is relatively cool, short so she can devote her time and energy to an extended marathon patrol at the hottest goddamn time of the day. Luckily I'm smart enough to bring water with us for her. But even so, now I'm hot and exhausted.

I figure it's because she has her best luck groundhog hunting in the afternoon--and she keeps getting ones on the route we've been taking of late. I'm lucky she didn't get one today or making it home would've really sucked. I'm probably going to have to start overruling her decisions.

I was going to go see the minor league ball game tonight because it isn't miserably brutally hot yet and the Bats are playing the St. Paul Saints. When I lived in the Twin Cities I drove by their stadium twice a day to my job and home. But I never got around to seeing a game so I kind of wanted to go but after jogging a mile and a half or more in 90 degrees and sunny, I'm kind of done being outside for a bit.

Last edited:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Darth Vader would've been so proud if he could've seen his daughter, choking Jabba.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I hate how much the 21st century sucks, compared to 1999. Internet search. Getting back into exercising and I wanted to see what the USMC Physical Fitness Test (PFT) scores are for someone my age. 20 years ago you could have just typed "USMC PFT chart" into Google and BAM! There's what you're looking for. You could even use the "Feeling Lucky" button and have a good chance of finding what you wanted. After multiple searches and rejiggering the keywords on Google and DuckDuckGo I eventually found what I wanted, but truth be told in 2024 it would've been faster for me to just rummage through my file cabinet to find the info I wanted on a sheet of paper. Or drive to a recruiter's office.

Same goes for "cherry pickers." That's a calisthenic exercise but I couldn't remember exactly how it went. I'm close but I figured "I'll just pop on line and confirm how it goes." Nope. A completely useless endeavor. Once I added "exercise" I at least got some hits for calisthenics (as opposed to hoist devices) but it was just an assortment of random exercises that I wasn't going to waste my time clicking each link until maybe I could find what I wanted.

On an unrelated note, an indoor/outdoor cat is a stressful thing--especially with an indoor/outdoor dog. Haven't seen him since this morning. I'm 99% sure he's inside and just chilling out of sight under a bed or a couch, but not 100%. Last night he went Out at dusk and I couldn't get him In. My last attempt was a bit before midnight and I actually ventured out with the flashlight to see that he was chilling under the deck DIRECTLY beneath the back door--but had zero interest in coming In. Then The Dog was fidgeting around 3:45 and woke me up so I decided to get up and check on The Cat. By now he was ready to come In but The Dog promptly went Out and refused to come back In. Finally went back to bed to nap for 15 minutes and heard her bark shortly before the alarm went off, headed back to let her In and opened the door just in time to see her alert on the deck and take off like a missile into the dark after some perceived threat. She eventually came In after another 15 minutes, but by this point I had a hard time getting back to sleep.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
When they threw Epstein in jail, did they do something with his Rape Island? Or did that get overlooked? Is there an island of feral skanks out there now, just waiting to be discovered? The History Channel should do a show on it.
After reading this, I read Epstein's entire Wikipedia page and I still wasn't sure, So I just googled the question and got this:

"Little Saint James, Jeffrey Epstein's private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands, was sold in May 2023 to billionaire Stephen Deckoff for $60 million. Prior to this, the island was valued at $125 million in March 2022, with plans to settle lawsuits using the proceeds from the sale."

Financier buys Jeffrey Epstein's private islands, with plans to create a resort - NPR

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
So a key development in "How I Met Your Mother" is when architect protagonist/narrator Ted Mosby gets to build his first skyscraper. And he gets the job because the one his boss presented looked like a giant dick. Meanwhile IRL Winston-Salem NC:
lgyugtwe0a941.jpg

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
At thumbnail size I didn't realize it was a Google Earth screencap. Still, it was the best picture of said building. That said, even with Google's clunky 3D effect the architecture IS kinda SimCity2000, innit?

That said, I'm sure SimCity2000 doesn't look that slick. For various reasons I wound up with a copy of Tomb Raider 2 back in the mid 1990s and it turned out the game was pretty worthless without a "How to Beat Tomb Raider 2" book (that kind of stuff wasn't on the Internet to the degree it is now). The book is still in my bookshelf and I dug it out awhile back. I'm looking at the pictures and thinking "OK, they're a little clunky, but astonishingly good for the 1990s." Then I realized the pics I was looking at weren't even cut scene screencaps, they were static computer illustrations. The screencaps of the actual gameplay look closer to Pong than anything out there even 5 years later.