Star Trek: Picard

whisky

Boobie inspector
I agree completely, but if there is a choice between rescuing some, and rescuing none, some has to be the better option.

whisky

Boobie inspector
That was supposed to include a quote from suasageman, but I'm too old and too drunk to do it properly. Or spell

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
That was a pleasure to watch.

It’s so nice to be back in the familiar surroundings of the TNG era, after years of it being treated like it didn’t exist.

I spent the whole episode thinking she was Lal... bit disappointed she isn’t, but I do like the Maddox reference.

Dream sequences explain why Data’s puffy.

The ending was a bit abrupt. Introduce a new character who awkwardly describes his backstory, but doesn’t give an indication how he fits into the plot... and end scene. Also funny how he makes a point out of not being a twin (which nobody ever says in real life), when the actor actually is.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I wonder what happened to the holo doc after the ai revolt? We see holograms like index still exist, but I imagine she couldn't leave the building.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I imagine holograms are restricted so they can't become self aware. I got the impression Index was a lot more simple than something like the Doctor (she didn't seem to have a personality.)

Maybe Seven will be carrying the Doc's mobile emitter around in her cleavage.

Mirah

I love you
How often is Picard on? Weekly?
At least tonight I get to watch the Grammys! Since I signed up for CBS live.

The Question

Eternal
So... how much of her was organic and how much not? Most mammals don't... y'know, explode when they die.

CaptainWacky

Yes weekly.

CaptainWacky

Second episode was pretty good, but felt too short. I guess that's the problem with serialised story-telling: the early chapters aren't as eventufl. Best scenes were all the character stuff with Picard (I hope he doesn't have Irumodic Syndrome!) I'm glad they mentioned Worf and Geordi by name as being still alive to stop the "I HAVE A THEORY GEORDI IS DEAD" type discussion I've seen in places (like twice.)

All the exposition about the super secret Romulan society who hates robits at the start was a bit clunky.

Finally evil* Admirals can say fuck!

*she wasn't really evil since she didn't seem to be part of the conspiracy like the Vulcan Commodore(!) and the Romulan posing as a Starfleet Lieutenant, she was just angry at Picard being rude about Starfleet on space tv

Last edited:

whisky

Boobie inspector
The same TV that disappeared as a form of entertainment centuries earlier?

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Tom Paris made it trendy again when he got back from the DQ.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I liked this episode better than the first one, I think now that the plot is actually moving and they've dialled back the exposition dumps it's a bit better to watch.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
This episode bothered me in a number of places. The editing was off and I found a number of scenes rather contrived. The whole "more secret than the Tal Shiar" thing felt like Section 31 for the Romulans even though that doesn't make much sense at all. Their unexplained hatred of Synths felt weird and more convenient to the plot than anything. I'm sure this will be expanded and explained in greater detail but it landed flat for me.

Enough. With. The. Lens. Flares.

I also find it very strange that they would have "primitive" Soong-type androids doing manual labour. I thought we've been through this in Measure of a Man and hell, Quality of Life as well. Exocomps anybody? It did not seem congruent with the Federation at all in this time to use this type of labour.

As for Measure of a Man, it seems more and more likely Maddox will be back now.

Asshole Admiral time. Eh. OK. If you must. I guess Picard would be quite a divisive figure at this point though.

So we have a Vulcan (Romulan?) Commodore that is rogue and causing all kinds of mischief. Starfleet infiltrated again at some of the most senior positions. I did like that it at least explained why there wasn't an immediate Starfleet response to there being a giant explosion and attack right in the middle of their HQ. It was clearly covered up from the inside. I'm glad they addressed this.

I don't know. The bad guys feel a bit moustache twirly so far, but it's still early.

Another thing I'm not a huge fan of is how it feels a lot more contemporary. From the sets (I know you can't get away with as much on sound stages anymore) to the Romulans feeling too human (Narek), etc. I liked the Romulan doing the safety speech on the cube way more. He FELT Romulan.

Why are there so many different species working on the cube under the Romulans? Their expertise? Not very Romulan like to work so closely on top-secret research with others but I'm confident this will be explained much better.

I am trying to remember that this is not the Federation of the TNG era. The Dominion war, the Borg attack, the Romulan crisis, attack on Mars etc and that it is more unstable and jumpy than ever before as a result. It's just taking some time to get used to.

That seems like a lot of complaining but it's only because I want this show to be the best it can possibly be. I still enjoyed it and can't wait for next week. Patrick was great again and I like Laris and Zhaban and I'm still well on board for this adventure. I'm sure that they will find their groove as the series goes on. I'll probably watch this episode again and see if it sits a bit better on the second viewing.

The Isacc Asimov easter egg was nice as was this:

star.trek.picard.s01e02.720p.webrip.x264-tbs[eztv].mkv_snapshot_25.36.334.jpg

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Were the plastic people a flashback? I'm sure they were a flashback.

Anyway, I liked it a lot. I'll be glad when Picard gets his crew together and they get on the mission.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Enough. With. The. Lens. Flares.
The terrible legacy of JJ Abrams.
Asshole Admiral time. Eh. OK. If you must. I guess Picard would be quite a divisive figure at this point though.
He always was. As Sisko's reaction to meeting Picard showed, some in Stafleet blamed Picard for Wolf 359 and didn't think he should be trusted anymore.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I hope the entire first season isn't going to be Picard assembling his crew, and the season ends with him saying engage.

Not keen on the use of real 3D printers as replicators. Throws me out of the illusion of the 24th century.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
As Sisko's reaction to meeting Picard showed, some in Stafleet blamed Picard for Wolf 359 and didn't think he should be trusted anymore.

Isn't that a valid point? I mean, as much weird shit as Picard went through, couldn't his sanity and judgement be called into question?

CaptainWacky

Were the plastic people a flashback? I'm sure they were a flashback.

It said on screen "15 years earlier."

I guess the synths weren't as sophisticated as even Exomcomps (or EMH type holograms.) Maybe they had failsafes in their brains to stop them ever becoming sentient, so it was "okay" to use them as slave labour. I did think the people working with them were a bit over the top in their nastiness. They should have had at least one of them being nice to the synth.

I don't think the Admiral was unreasonable at all for turning Picard down. He walked out on Starfleet and just days earlier slagged them off on tv. He could have approached her better!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Although he alluded that the two of them have been on opposite sides of issues for years (sardonically saying "we haven't always seen eye-to-eye"). She and her allies could have been part of the reason he was already over Starfleet -- they may have represented a wall he kept hitting when trying to accomplish anything.