Doctor Dave's geese sighting thread

6/6/15

Three geese sightings!

1) Geeese sighted at dragon boat races on local river. Geese seemed to be monotoring the racing activity.

2) Geese sighted across same river in/around boating lane.

3)Geese sighted further down river not far from Rose Festival Fleet*.

*We have this thing every year called The Rose Festival, and ships from The United States Navy, The United States Coast Guard, and The Canadian Navy come here and dock at the waterfront here.

Did not Alanis Morisette sing a song about goose superiority? She disguised it as something else but I'm sure she did.

goose ‏@hostile_goose 7h7 hours ago

I'm low on inspiration, not feelin very goosey

6/17/15

Two geese sightings today along/on local river.

1) Lone Goose sighted. This could have been a scout for other geese.

2) Group of geese sighted along river bank and on water along bank as well.

Don't use that lightly!

accepted

Flipping seems pretty straightforward, so the real question here is, where did "the bird" come from?

Here's one account:

bird (3)
"middle finger held up in a rude gesture," slang derived from 1860s expression give the big bird "to hiss someone like a goose," kept alive in vaudeville slang with sense of "to greet someone with boos, hisses, and catcalls" (1922), transferred 1960s to the "up yours" hand gesture (the rigid finger representing the hypothetical object to be inserted) on notion of defiance and contempt. Gesture itself seems to be much older (the human anatomy section of a 12c. Latin bestiary in Cambridge describes the middle finger as that "by means of which the pursuit of dishonour is indicated").

Russell Brand ‏@rustyrockets 1h1 hour ago

Crocodile Dundee? Swan Rusty? Swan vesta? Swan song? #lookatthatfuckingswan

12601.imgcache.jpg

He's trying to win the swans over to our side. I DONT' THINK IT WILL WORK. I hope he survives.

8/27/15

Geese sighted flying over local transit center.

I was out with my mum when I sighted a group of geese doing a low flyover of the transit center we were at. Presumably they had just taken off from someplace nearby.

I said to my mum something to the affect of "It's times like this I wish I had a rifle".

Back