Doctor Who: Season 32, Series 6, Part 1

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
ALSO Bernard Cribbins got an OBE so that's nice.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yeah and he was dignified about (I assume), unlike SOME PEOPLE going on about how long they'd been waiting!

CaptainWacky

Yeah, why do people only make a big deal about Brucie, as if he's the only old guy who hasn't been knighted? There's old people dying all the time who haven't been honoured!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I just found it irritating that "Brucie" himself felt so entitled, as if standing around on a stage dithering and ruining punchlines guaranteed a knighthood.

CaptainWacky

They should have knighted Tess Daly first just to annoy him.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
As a casual Doctor Who viewer, I have to say I was probably much less confused than you guys were (about the characters), because it never even crossed my mind to wonder what episode they were in. AND, I was good and surprised about River. I like how the language the (hot) girl sewed her name in didn't have a word for Pond. It was all very entertaining.

I'm always slightly confused by Doctor Who, because it all moves so fast. I think I'm starting to get it, though.

CaptainWacky

TOO BAD YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOUR MONTSH NOW LOL.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Interesting to hear your take on the new characters, Cassie. I suspected it might be less confusing for casual viewers, because you don't expect to know who everyone is or exactly what's going on.

Over all I've been a bit disappointed by this half season. The Neil Gaiman episode obviously stands out as the highlight and it really was an amazing episode, but Stephen Moffat's usually great stories have been a letdown. Everything's felt so rushed and haphazard, without much development or importance explained of each plot point before careering off to the next. In the past that hasn't been so much of a problem, because all the pieces have fallen into place by the end and things you suspected to be flaws turned out to be really clever bits of writing, but this last episode in particular had a whiff of RTD about it IMO. Hopefully he'll do his magic again and it'll all come together in the second part.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Plus they have a serious budget cut, which means a lot of recycled monsters, and hiring of the same actors over and over, because they already fit the costumes, so they dont need to make new ones.

Reminds me of TOS trek where they would only hire red shirts of a cirtain hight and build so they didnt have to take in the costumes.

Thats why we kept seeing Mr Leslie even after he was killed.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Really, my biggest complaint about Doctor Who is that it goes so fast that I have trouble keeping up sometimes. I guess that's where being a HARDCORE fan comes in handy for you guys. I'm still confused about the timeline stuff, and probably a few other things I can't think of at the moment. I keep hoping it'll all come together if I keep watching, so with that attitude it's like an adventure and not annoying to be lost at times.

I absolutely love the actors (can't remember their rl names cuz I'm terrible about that sort of thing). I also loved the way some of the monsters looked this season, and how really scary a couple of the episodes were.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I still don't get the River/Doctor relationship even after studying that diagram.

CaptainWacky

Yeah, I didn't want to complain about the latest episode too much since there was good stuff in it, but I didn't like the "you will never rise higher OR FALL FURTHER" stuff. Since it wasn't really true. I mean I guess you could say getting a bunch of people together to save a baby is the greatest thing the Doctor has ever done(!?) but "never fall further"? He was in a good mood at the end of the episode! The "my friend, you have never risen higher!" line from the Silurian woman (how would she know?) seemed to be there just because it would sound good in trailers hyping this up to be the biggest most epic thing ever like they always did for the RTD finales (of course RTD also had the Doctor literally being Jesus so this is still a lot better.)

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah really, the last episode was flawed, but I would take an eternity of Moffat's super-fast sort-of-make-sense plots over another "The Doctor glows and flies and is magic and everyone cheers and he resolves the plot with the magic he had somehow THE END.".

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
EVERYONE IN THE UNIVERSE FARTS IN THE GENERAL DIRECTION OF THE DOCTOR!!!!!111

BILLIONS OF FARTS HEARD IN UNISON ALL ACROSS THE GALACTIC SEAS. ALL TO THE SOUND OF ONE WORD!!

THE DOCTOR!!!!1

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
ONE QUESTION

How come River couldn't just tell them who she was the first time she saw them FROM THE FUTURE? Would that have created a time paradox OR SOMETHING?

EDIT: OK JUST REALIZED THAT IS TWO QUESTIONS

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Well it's sort of complicated because of the whole River's timeline going the other way thing.

From her point of view, The Doctor has always known who she was, and was probably told that there would come a point where River would 'reveal' herself to The Doctor, Rory, and Amy, and then (FROM HER POINT OF VIEW) every time after that they wouldn't know who she was.

So she didn't tell them sooner, because sooner for Rory, Amy, The Doctor and the viewer is later for River and she's already done it all anyway.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
BUT, why not tell them every time she sees them? Even though they know in their future, she has to know they don't know in her future. BAH

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Because she knows that there will be a point where The Doctor doesn't know who she is (because The Doctor has already lived through that), and to change that would be fucking up the timeline which is a Bad Thing To Do.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Thats why River has the diary, so she knows where abouts she is in relation to the Doctor and his companions, and what they know, and what they dont.

CaptainWacky