Doctor Who: Season 32, Series 6, Part 1

whisky

Boobie inspector
924.imgcache.jpeg

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
That was the best bit of the whole episode, really.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Here's more words:

I thought that was a very good, roller-coaster of an episode. It's biggest problem, like with the opening 2 parter, was it's pacing. I don't think that was bad enough to severely effect the episode as a whole, though.

The side-characters were awesome. The Sontaran Nurse was really good and I wish we could see more of him, and there really ought to be a spin off about the lesbian Silurian and her friend fighting Victorian crime (best use of the Silurians since 1970!). The girl who was a mirror for Amy (i.e., the girl who The Doctor never came back to) was interesting to see, if the episode had more time to deal with her it probably would've been better, though.

Of course everyone is going to go "OH BUT I PREDICTED RIVER WOULD BE AMY'S DAUGHTER AGES AGO, I GOT YOU MOFFAT, HEH!". Well, yeah. There was so much speculation about River that she's The Doctor's/Amy's daughter/wife/husband/mother/FUTURE SELF, that anything Moffat would've done would've been 'called' already. What's important was how the reveal was done itself, which I thougght was very well.

But really now, let's kill Hitler (when I read the spoiler that the episode would end with 'Let's Kill Hitler' I was REALLY sure it was fake).

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I consider myself a pretty big fan of the show, so I was a bit confused when all the new characters that the Doctor had had a past with turned up. All the Sontarans look and sound the same to me, and so do the Silurians to an extent, so I kept trying to figure out the whole way through whether they were new characters or ones we'd seen before, and that was quite distracting. It was played in exactly the same way it would have been if they had all been from previous episodes... and then there was the pirate guy to make things more confusing. Also, it didn't seem like many people considering he should have so many friends throughout the universe.

The pacing was also a bit too hectic, but not a big problem.

I thought the revealing of River's true identity was pretty well done. When the Doctor knew and we didn't, they did a really good job of keeping us guessing.

Oh and the Stevie Wonder joke was cruel but hilarious.

Best bit was "LET'S KILL HITLER", though, obviously.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I consider myself a pretty big fan of the show, so I was a bit confused when all the new characters that the Doctor had had a past with turned up. All the Sontarans look and sound the same to me, and so do the Silurians to an extent, so I kept trying to figure out the whole way through whether they were new characters or ones we'd seen before, and that was quite distracting.

Yeah, I guess the problem there was that Moffat obviously wanted to have Sontarans/Silurians, but the problem is in most of thier stories all of the Sontarans/Silurians end up dead (or are still very evil) and so there really were no characters he could call on to team up with. But the ones he created instead were fantastic so I'm not too upset about that. Of course it doesn't help when you're trying to figure out if you're supposed to know the character that all Sontarans are supposed to be clones anyway!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
There was SCOTTISH AGENDA and GAY AGENDA in this ep.

It's funny really that if I was just a casual viewer I probably would've enjoyed the ep more because I would've just accepted that the unfamiliar Doctor's friends were from some episode I'd missed. The Victorian Silurian was the most confusing, since it threw up loads of questions that seemed like the kind of thing that would've been explained previously. They should definitely bring them back some time and explain how she ended up back in time and why her girlfriend/maid wasn't freaked out by her.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I thought the lesbian girlfriend was a member of the victorian torchwood.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It was okay. LIKE FUDDLEMIFF I was a bit confused by the Sontaran and Sulirian at first, thinking "oh that's the one from that episode...isn't it?" but it didn't really bother me much once I figured it out. THE GOOD STUFF was Matt Smith's absolutely fantastic acting (the Captain Runaway scene) and Rory was pretty badass too. I liked all the new charcters (not sure what the point of pirate guy appearing for four seconds was though) and would like to see more of them (no Jenny wasn't in Torchwood, the Torchwood agent was played by the woman with the big forehead from Outcasts.)

But the story was pretty underwhelming and I don't pay attention to who's directing episodes but I'd say the direction was pretty lacklustre. The Doctor gathers all these people but the way they took over the station (or whatever it was) wasn't really all that clever or anything, they just kept appearing in places saying "ah ha!" Like when the Headless Monk (and they weren't exactly Moffat's greatest creation) threw back his cloak and was the Doctor it was so obvious I thought it would be someone unexpected instead (I'm not saying this was a bad moment or anything, just that it was something I thought while watching the episode.)

But it was all a set-up for the real plan of the Eyepatch Woman (and again I hope there's more information on what she actually wants to do in coming episodes? Is it just kill the Doctor or does she want to kill the Doctor then conquer the universe or something? Is she involved with The Silence and planting the bomb on the TARDIS last series? STOP TYPING WACKY) which was to have the Headless Monks kill everyone and the baby melt (which was a cool bit.) But then the fight scene with the monks was pretty lame and didn't really give the really cool Sontaran guy a very good death. And I mean if they're going to show a lesbian lizard with a sword and a headless monks with flaming swords you'd think we'd get at least a twenty second sword fight or something, but there was nothing but some generic shooting.

And yeah, I thought River being the baby was probably the most obvious solution. It could have been any number of other things as well, of course, and it was executed well with great acting from Smith and Alex Kingston...but it didn't feel likea "game changer" as it was hyped up to be and I wasn't surprised or amazed by it or anything.

SO ANYWAY The Doctor's Wife was the best episode of the half season.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah I guess it's important to keep in mind that this was only a mid-series finale, and wasn't really intended to wrap up all of the major arcs. I'm sure we'll come back to Future Doctor / Madame Kovarian and even The Silence later in the second half.

CaptainWacky

OH YEAH, while I'm COMPLAINING I don't think I liked the bit where River went all "look what you could become, so terrible, etc" to The Doctor because it felt like a bit of a rehash of Waters Of Mars and other episodes and really what did he do that was so bad except bring some people to help rescue Amy and her baby, without even spilling any blood? But I suppose she was just using his potential to create an army as an example of what evil people could do with a Time Lord child? So it's not really a complaint!

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I only realized after reading it elsewhere that the reason River knows The Doctor's name was that it was written on the side of the crib she grew up in!

CaptainWacky

Ah-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I thought the lesbian long tongue joke was a little close to the edge. (but very funny)

The weakest bit, as Wacky pointed out was "generic shooting scene"

It was also a quite quick turnaround from the Doctor being a big fan of DONT HURT ANYONE, LETS GET A PLAN to LET'S RAISE AN ARMY. I like the idea of good intentions turned towards evil by perspective, but, anyway I'm picking.

I think the series opener was the best.

One thing I am not looking forward to:
We can look forward to the return of James Corden, last seen in The Lodger and David Walliams is also onboard

Excellent, an oversize, overated cunt and also James Corden. Great.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
At least it makes a bit of sense with Corden. He lived below a Silence spaceship last season in what turned out to be a much less annoying episode than I expected.

CaptainWacky

Maybe the whole episode will just be Patrick Stewart punching Corden in the face with no explanation or context.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
This came out last week but no one's posted it in here. THRA-EAD! MUST! BE! COM...-PLETE!

[YOUTUBE]erH-6vd8C5o[/YOUTUBE]