Doctor Who: Season 32, Series 6, Part 1

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I'd forgotten it was a two-parter. So who thinks Rory's been replaced at some point? He seems to care about "Jen" a lot more than you might expect considering he only just met her. I don't completely buy it that he's just a caring person, or that he fancies her a bit. RORY HAS TO DIE IN THIS EPISODE

Amy wore a red checkered shirt again... yeah, it's probably just her costume, in the same way that Martha always wore that old Buffy the Vampire Slayer leather jacket, or Donna always wore whatever Donna always wore.

The disintegrating hand near the beginning was the bit that would've given me nightmares as a child. The effects showing Jen's gangbanger being created might've seemed creepy and cool too, but they were shown umpteen times in the trailers.

Confidential was mostly about the weather in Wales being shite. AFAIK, that was never confidential information.

whisky

Boobie inspector
All they had to do was write one line on location where they all come out the tardis and go "brrr, its freezing" then they step back in and come out in warm coats.

Its kind of funny how Rory got to wear a body warmer last week for the mostly studio set episode, yet has to freeze outside in location in december.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I just noticed I never actually said anything about the episode, probably because there isnt much to say, much like how the SGU episode where the people came back from the planet with a brand new shuttle was just there hamfisted way of saying, "Heres a new shuttle" this episode seems here only to say "heres the doctor from the future that died!"

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
It was an alright episode. As ever with two parters it's hard to judge part one without part 2.

Not every little thing in an episode has to be a clue to some arc-long story, though, really. I mean it's really actually very possible that the cloned Doctor is just something cool for that story and Amy wears Tartan shirts because it makes her character visually recognizable for the audience and that Rory feels empathy for the flesh person because he himself has experience with being an exact duplicate with another person's memories.

"The Doctor lost his shoes which OBVIOUSLY means that his shoes turn into River Song I GUESS I FIGURED IT ALL OUT GUYS, HEH."

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
More likely his shoes will somehow make it possible to differentiate between him and the clone at some point, though they'd start off with the same shoes.

WELL MAYBE.

I do like the idea that the clone provides a Doctor to get killed, but they'd have to keep him alive for another half a season and I do think he was just introduced to this episode because it's what the individual writer wanted for the story, rather than the over all arc.

The real Doc will probably find some convenient off switch for the goo, or it'll turn out the bodies start to fall apart after a while like in that Voyager episode.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It was okay, but it did seem a bit stretched out, as if they couldn't get into the actual clones versus humans parts quicker because they had to have the SHOCKING Doctor Clone cliffhanger. And by "shocking" I mean "really predictable and given away in the trailer for the episode." So that was annoying. The plastic people were quite creepy at least.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
There was also the foreboding when the Doctor's mouth appeared in the goo and said "trust me" as the real Doc had a few minutes earlier. So like you say, the ending was totally predictable.

It was better than the pirate episode anyway.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Always amazes me how this sort of sentient goo cant get a nose right, but can make every component of a zip perfectly.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I didn't know Doctor Who was this SPOOKY.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Yeah, it was spooky TOO.

CaptainWacky

The faces were wrong because they were unstable, they switched back to normal at times.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Those of you who like to avoid spoilers and the overuse of the phrase "game changer" would be well advised to stay away from the BBC's own Doctor Who website for a while. (well next 8 days anyway)

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah that's a pretty big spoiler there (and they just changed it to be more spoilery]!

Also, just to remind everyone in the US - BBCA is now showing the new episode this week. For this episode and episode 7 you will be one week behind the UK so you might want to stay out of the thread after the episodes have aired!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
What's with the BBC constantly spoiling their own shows? I've not looked at it and I'm not going to, but isn't this just the kind of thing Moffat was complaining about? You'd think he'd have enough leverage to make them STFU.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Well from what The Moff has said, what's on the site isn't really that much of a spoiler, which means that there are probably even more things going on in the episode. I'd say it's probably about as spoileriffic as, say, saying "THE DALEKS RETURN AT THE END OF SERIES 4", maybe. Of course we won't know until the episode airs!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I hope it isn't that "THE DALEKS RETURN AT THE END OF SERIES 6 PART 1".

CaptainWacky

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY SPOILED AMY'S OUTFIT FOR THE FINALE.