Doctor Who: Series 6, Part 2 - Hitlers will be killed

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Clean the Helmic regulator, polish the Zeiton crystals, and put the fresh spring under the fast return switch - Doctor Who's back... AGAIN?!

[YOUTUBE]HRqG64hDs4s[/YOUTUBE]

The story so far:
Amy was kidnapped by AN EVIL EYEPATCH LADY who wanted her baby (who was also River). The Doctor and Rory (who is also Davros) tried to recuse her but eyepatch lady ran away with the baby (River)! Older River (who is also The Rani) didn't do anything except turn up at the end and go "Hey guys THAT BABY WAS ME, how weird is that?". The Doctor then rushes off to find the baby before she grows up to be River so that she can marry Omega (Captain Jack) and give birth to The Master, who in turn will marry The Doctor's clone daughter Jenny and give birth to Susan who gets sent back in time when it turns out that Adric was still alive somehow.

Got that? Good.

Episodes:
There's a few of them. Here they are, look!

8) Let's Kill Hitler, by Steven Moffat
9) Night Terrors, by Mark Gatiss (was the episode that was switched with "Curse of the Black Spot)
10) The Girl Who Waited, by Tom MacRae (writer of "Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel")
11) The God Complex, by Toby Whitehouse (writer of "School Reunion" and "The Vampires of Venice")
12) Closing Time, by Gareth Roberts (writer of a load of shit episodes and "The Lodger")
13) The Wedding of River Song, by Steven Moffat

WHEN IS IT ON????
Like the first half, each episode airs the same day on BBC uk and BBCAmerica. Tonight it is on at 7:10pm on BBC1. and 9:00pm (Eastern) for BBC America.

SPOILERS
If there's some SUPER HUGE SPOILERS in The Sun, The Internet or a trailer or something. Spoiler text. Spoiler text. So like be all "I watched the trailer for the finale and I CAN'T BELIEVE
Amy wears a short skirt!

[YOUTUBE]j8tUf1zYgPA[/YOUTUBE]

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
YAY!!! I'm so glad THEY are letting us watch Dr Who on the same day again. I wish they'd do that with all our shows, THE BASTARDS.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah, like recent Moffat episodes that ran at about 10 miles a minute, but they're all good miles (the episode was good).

Whatever happened to that Hitler fellow, though? PLOT HOLE.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
That was really good! I agree it was a little taxing, but only in a good way.

At first I thought "oh ffs, a new character that's supposed to have been there all along?" but of course it was all ok in the end. I should have more faith in Moffat.

The whole robot thing was nifty and added an extra level to the episode. The captain was a bit of a poor man's Christopher Pike, I thought.

What could THE question be?!

Next week: Hitler comes out of the closet!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Probably something like
"Who is the Doctor?"

The episode does get bonus points for featuring my favourite ever car, and I don't mean the mini.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I'm not naming any Hambils, but I'm just thinking of people who might aimlessly click on this thread and accidentally read about an episode they didn't realise had aired yet.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Yeah, it was good. Non-stop frantic rolloercoaster of action, emotions, plot developments and Hitler. The robot with the miniature people was cool. I liked River mentioning that she might make herself gradually younger as it "explains" her looking younger when she died in the library two-parter even though she should have been older then.

I wasn't sure about "Mels" at first as she seemed like a total Poochie, but of course she was meant to be like that since she was River...but still it's a bit weird that Amy and Rory have NEVER mentioned their super cool crazy hot friend who lived in this sleepy little village with them and was obsessed with the Doctor and got up to crazy shit...surely she would have been the first person Amy went to when the Doctor returned to adult her? And the "I don't do weddings" excuse was weak (would have been a good time to kill the Doctor too if that's all she wants to do.) But maybe she fell through a timecrack with Amy's parents and didn't exist again until the universe was reset in The Big Bang.

Also, not enough Hitler. And not just because I'm a Hitler fan and was looking forward to the most Hitlertastic episode ever for the last three months. They didn't really do anything with the 1938 setting at all beyond wearing cool uniforms.

Also I think I saw that Pratchett article at the time it was posted and I don't see the point. His argument seems to be Doctor Who isn't science fiction (who said it is?) and that some of the episodes were poorly written (mostly those written by RTD.) We alreayd knew that. And he mentions one good Torchwood as evidence that it's "better" but he mentions about six even better Doctor Who episodes after that. And I tried reading his books years ago and didn't find them funny. So there.

CaptainWacky

I didn't really notice (I PAY ATTENTION TO THE PLOT NOT THE CLOTHES.)

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Some people are suggesting The Doc may actually have all of River's regenerations? I interpreted that line about her using them all up to just mean that's what it takes to save another timelord, but maybe he did absorb all of them?

CaptainWacky

Maybe this will be the excuse for the Doctor to regenerate into Dawn French or Imogen Poots next time he dies!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Even though I don't get half of what happens in Dr Who, there's no way in HELL Torchwood is better :rwmad: ALSO, most science fiction isn't purely science fiction, EVEN my beloved Dune has fantasy elements, but you'd never hear someone say it isn't science fiction.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
FWIW - TP doesn't say Torchwood is better. He says he prefers Torchwood. Quite a difference imo.

As for this science fiction stuff - he seems to have a really conservative definition of SF. I can see where he's coming from, but I think it is quite a bit unrealistic.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Just a typical "oh it's the second episode so they're saving the budget" type episode.

Welcome to the scariest place in the universe! A Welsh housing estate!

The boy reminded me of that awful "there are too many of them. What. Are. We. Going. To. Do?" padawan.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Bristol actually, according to confidential.

I liked it, some good chilling moments.

CaptainWacky

It was alright. But it took way too long to get to the dolls, and they weren't a surprise at all given that they've been in every promo for the last year. There was so much of Amy and Rory wandering around the doll house (and the viewer figured out it was a doll house about fifteen minutes before they did) that the ending seemed really rushed. And I guess they're still going to get kicked out of their flat anyway since the evil landlord's still alive and they can't afford the rent.

Is every episode going to end with the Doctor's death date now, instead of the "Amy pregnant/not pregnant" thing from the first half of the series? That could get annoying.