Doctor Who: Series 6, Part 2 - Hitlers will be killed

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Mmm, the "hey, don't forget the Doctor's going to die!!" bit at the end felt really tacked on. And having kids sing a creepy rhyme about death is such a cliché. Besides, I don't feel much tension about it since we've seen it happen. If the mystery was that the Doc discovered his impending date of death and he and us were in the dark about how it occurred then that would be good, but instead we've seen it, we have a fair idea how and now it's just "ok, so he's not really gonna stay dead, how will the writers get out of it?"

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
I guess it's tacked-on-ness was due to the fact that this was the episode that was swapped from the first half of the series to this half (it was swapped with Curse of the Black Spot).

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
IN THE BLU RAY VERSION, THE BOY SAYS "NOOOOOOOO" LOL.

Anyway, I forgot to mention yesterday that Annoying Guy from Outcasts was the dad in this episode and that he's still annoying.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Aww, man... I really liked this one. PROBABLY because I didn't have to wonder about the timeline or River or STUFF. Just a light fun episode. I wish the doctor had come to save me from the monsters when I was little.

whisky

Boobie inspector
That was good but draining, not sure it has a lot of re-viewing potential.

I suppose it was always inevitable that older Amy wouldn't be going with them.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It was obvious that somehow she'd conveniently fail to make it onto the TARDIS just as the Doctor's ganger duplicate did and hundreds of clones and time duplicates have on other shows, but I wasn't expecting it to play out like that. I was expecting the usual valiant death, sacrificing herself so the others could live, so her pleading to be let onto the TARDIS was both draining and very sad.

Also, Rory's acting was way way better in this episode than usual. The bit when he got angry with the Doc and threw the glasses away was really well done.

The design work was really good too, and the magnifying glasses were inventive, although old Amy's makeup wasn't entire convincing. They probably should've made her body a bit flabby to match her face. Her arms were skinny as ever.

Really good episode over all.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yes, that episode? That was a good episode.

It's like all the people who wrote lesser episodes in previous seasons are coming back to prove they're actually good writers.

CaptainWacky

IT WAS GOOD. Karen and Arthur did good acting.

Next week's looks really good (so it'll probably be shit.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I enjoyed this episode A LOT. I thought the acting was great, and the concept was also great. I cried at the end.

CaptainWacky

Did she have sex with the Rory Robot?

Yub

Anachrophobic
That was my first thought. I didn't see any attachments on it at all.

My second thought was that the interface must have one hell of a database.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I don't buy it that Amy could make her own sonic probedriver all on her own, so presumably the database helped her with that.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Now I think about it... sonic probe = vibrator?

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
RORY AND AMY GONE FOREVER? (no)

I thought that was a solid episode. The tone I found a bit odd at times, with it not knowing if it wants to be a comedy episode with wacky Doctor and comedic alien sidekick, or creepy with the hotel full of nightmares.

The ending was good though.

Nimon shoutout.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
They mentioned that planet that Heaven believes in where the giants live.

I agree about the tone being a bit odd... normally Who flits between scary and funny and stuff pretty seamlessly, but this was all over the place and I never got a feel for what the over all tone was supposed to be. I liked Rita, though, she would've made a good companion. I'm glad that the Doc pointing out "oh, so you're a MUSLIM!" wasn't just some PC GONE MAD reference, but turned out to be a key detail in the plot. David Walliams's character was ok... have we seen his species before? Seemed a familiar concept. I'm surprised they didn't use him more or make more of a fuss about him being in the show, but that was probably for the best really.

The last James Corden episode turned out to be surprisingly good, so hopefully next week's will be as well, and there'll be some good key fondling action.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Another grim but good episode, I know this season is meant to be about the Doctor's death, but every episode feels like a funeral already.

I reckon he saw himself in room 11.

Who else indeed.

CaptainWacky

It was pretty good. Though again not really scary (the laughing dolls bit near the start was the creepiest bit.) And every episode seems to be "THE DOCTOR ISN'T THAT GREAT REALLY, HE MAKES BAD THINGS HAPPEN" lately. Which might be to counter RTD's "Doctor as Jesus" stuff but they're starting to lay it on a bit thick.

I liked Rita (she was cute) but I gussed she'd die when the Doctor promised to take her as a new companion. Walliams was quite funny but then his character didn't get to redeem himself or anything in the end. Amy has legs.

So The Doctor doesn't want to be around Amy and Rory in case they die, but he has no problem hanging out with James Corden? SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT LOL.