Doctor Who: Series 6, Part 2 - Hitlers will be killed

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
But the Doctor kept saying that he dies "tomorrow". So I thought it was the day before his death day. Of course he could travel back in time to his death day, but how does he know it has to be "tomorrow"?

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
He dies "tomorrow" from his perspective - i.e. he's already lived the couple hundred years to make him 1103 and so he knows his time is running up.

CaptainWacky

Except the newspaper in this episode is dated April 19th 2011, so it literally is tomorrow he dies (yes I'm reading the TrekBBS thread about the episode too.)

http://www.ranger-retrocenter.com/misc/thedate1.png

Or it's just a writing or production goof.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Well the entire point of the Amy and Rory scene was "look how well they are doing after they left The Doctor" to the point where the perfume is named after something that happened to Amy after The Impossible Astronaut so it was probably a production goof yes (see also: Rory's I.D. being issued in 1990).

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I really think they could've made the timeline clearer, as it's confusing that the Doc and Amy/Rory were out of contact with eachother in both cases. The one thing that makes it absolutely clear that they're from different time periods is that in The Impossible Astronaut Amy hasn't had her baby yet (and iirc, only finds out she's pregnant after the Doctor dies), whereas the version in this week's episode has had the baby and gone on to start her career in having giant posters of her face.

CaptainWacky

For the girl who wants to smell like wet dirt.

CaptainWacky

Blame the Daily Mail.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Where will I get my weekly fix of Arthur Darvil looking bored now?

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I'll miss having that extra Dr Who fix to watch after the episode is over, but there were times when they seemed to be scratching at straws about what to fill up the 45 minutes with.

Still, it must've been an incredibly cheap show to make, considering it was recording stuff that would be happening in any case. And last week's edition even used Matt and James Corden's camera phone videos.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
They could've probably shortened them down to about 25mins and we wouldn't really lose anything important.

And then maybe they'd be able to actually release the full versions on DVD.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think there must be a silence in the room with me, as I have no memory of any good bits.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I liked it over all, though I think the concept of time falling apart would've been nice to have going on over a few episodes, as it's such a big deal and such a fun thing to play around with.

The method of keeping the Doc alive was reasonable. It was obviously one of the main theories going around, but there are only so many ways of having your main character die on screen in the first episode but still be alive at the end. They must've written themselves into a corner with the question, though? I suppose it depends on how you interpret the question, though. It's not really just "what is his name"? It's something more abstract... presumably.

Amy in black trouser suit = drool.

Eyepatch lady's death = a bit of an anticlimax.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Especially since it didn't happen anywhere but in Amy's memories now.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Oh, BTW, I have kind of been keeping a secret, a few months back I sold a custom Kovarian figure on ebay, at the time the man said eventually he would give the figure to the actress himself, today was the day.

2522.imgcache.jpg

Woot!

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
That's really cool. Was there already a Kovarian action figure that you modified or was it made completely from other character figures?

whisky

Boobie inspector
I made it from the old dead woman inhabited by a gas monster, ironically from the last episode that had Charles Dickens in.

CaptainWacky

It was good in the NOW TYPICAL frantic Moffat event episode way. Lots of cool stuff happening and non-stop Matt Smith being cool. Amy looked really hot.

The ending felt a bit flat though. I think WE ALL considered the question could be the doctor's name or "Doctor who?" since that phrase has been used quite a few times this series (I complained about it earlier in the thread.) And really how is it the OLDEST QUESTION IN THE UNIVERSE? There's always a bit too much hyperbole around these big reveals and as FUDDLEMIFF said it's hard to get excited why we don't know the context of the question.

I did like the idea of the Doctor disappearing into the shadows because he's too famous. A BIT LIKE the end of The Dark Knight maybe but not really.

Didn't Old Stanton reassure everyone that the Doctor DEFINITELY died and that he knew for sure somehow? He wasn't even in it other than waving in the background.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Matt Smith is really HOT in a cowboy hat.

ANYWAY, if that was the doctor inside the robot thing, then how did touching River work to end the stuck in time thingy?